Why I am disappointed in Russell Wilson?

kannankeril

Reaction score
The recent contract talks have caused most of us a good deal of angst and I found myself unconsciously blaming RW. As I listened to the arguments from the "pay-the-guy-whatever-it takes" camp, I found myself questioning my POV. I began to realize that I should not really care about the process/outcome of the contract negotiations so much as feel disappointment at the erosion of the image I had built of a larger than life persona.

The only person to blame here is me since the mental image was my construction, what I hoped it would be. RW did not explicitly claim that self-image. The key here is explicitly.

There was and still is an implication that RW is a team-first guy. From his cultivated demeanor on camera, the organized team practices in Hawaii, to his visits to children's hospitals and more importantly - his signature sign-off post interview line "Go Hawks". They all bespoke what "most of us assumed" to be a team guy. That assumption is contrary to the reported contract demands from his agent. The switch-over to a "me-first", I get sole credit for wins argument eroded the team-first image. Recent statements by both player and agent seem to confirm that this line of argument originates from them.

RW has to know the impact of his contract on the ability of this team to sustain success in future. He also has to know that this is a team (owner, GM & coach) that will spend all it can to ensure continued success - this is not the Cincinnati Bengals or the Pittsburgh Pirates. Assuming these statements, I cannot but feel disappointment that he does not feel the need to share that burden/further that goal.

RW has the right to extract every dollar that he can sell this or any other team on. That said, would I feel cynical the next time he says "Go Hawks", you betcha!

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Perceptions by a person are sometimes what they really want to believe. We see what we want to see and dismiss all else as fake and unrealistic. Until it happens that things change within our own concept, wherein we see the truth. I see it in me a lot too. But that is the risk of growing up and learning. It happens to most of us humans. (Also to some of those that reportedly are human but are really Romulan.) Live and learn.

Oh and Welcome to .NET. Hope your stay is enjoyable. :2:

:thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers:

Uncle Si

Reaction score
kannankeril":1wie912q said:
RW has the right to extract every dollar that he can sell this or any other team on. That said, would I feel cynical the next time he says "Go Hawks", you betcha!

can't he both extract every dollar he can AND represent his team with the utmost of his heart, dedication and ability?

vin.couve12

Reaction score
This is a post that will get shat on by a lot of people, but it's really a good, valid post.

This is a problem that doesn't just sit with RW and the Seahawks, however. Ideology goes right out the window as soon as there is money to be had. It's that way not only in football, but in all American business. For better or worse, it is a direct byproduct of capitalism starting with supply and demand, which is America's real religion. It overrides all others.

The bottom line of RW playing the game how he is now isn't really hurting anyone in reality with the exception of his following though.

AVL

Reaction score
The guy is happily fulfilling his crappy contract and somehow that isn't enough!

aawolf

Reaction score
I think the OP's disappointment is misguided. How has RW hurt the team? By fulfilling his grossly under-paid contract and playing for $1.5 million this year? Sure, he's hoping to get more than was offered, so he's waiting, but that waiting doesn't hurt the team at all. Think of it as helping the team this year. I've resigned myself to the fact that a contract will not get done until sometime mid-season to next year--once the pressure of a franchise tag hits.

Once he holds out, if he ever does, then you can be disappointed in him.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
A pro football who has massively outplayed his contract, and is trying to get a good contract. How is that different than anyone else in the league. Disappointed? No way. He hasn't done anything wrong, people just enjoy branding him the way they have decided he is. :roll:

Rocket

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3asbtycz said:
A pro football who has massively outplayed his contract
God Damn Patriots... now they got BALLS getting contracts.
What kind of contract crap are we gonna hear next?

SeahawkPQ

Reaction score
kannankeril":3u91x71o said:
There was and still is an implication that RW is a team-first guy. From his cultivated demeanor on camera, the organized team practices in Hawaii, to his visits to children's hospitals and more importantly - his signature sign-off post interview line "Go Hawks". They all bespoke what "most of us assumed" to be a team guy. That assumption is contrary to the reported contract demands from his agent. The switch-over to a "me-first", I get sole credit for wins argument eroded the team-first image. Recent statements by both player and agent seem to confirm that this line of argument originates from them.

His professional demeanor, the organized off-season practices, the weekly children's hospital visits; you claim these are contradicted by a contract negotiation? Dear God, this country is in trouble.

HommyHawk

Reaction score
Wonder if it wasn't for the CBA if # 3 would have already gotten paid for outperforming his third round salary by holding out last year. He already has taken one for the team the last two years It's his turn now.The longer we wait the more its going to cost.This man is special why are there still doubters? Close your eyes and remember the pre Russ era...exactly.

lobohawk

Reaction score
He has given his all to the Hawks and will continue, as long as he's here. That's just his makeup and how he approaches the game.

On the business side, the NFL and Owners in particular can milk the "team first" mentality attitude of the public to lean on players during such instances (or when the they negotiate with the Players' Union). We as fans have to let the business side of things play out and not take it personally.

Tical21

Reaction score
If half of the guys that the public believes were choir boys actually were, this would be a much different era. You can't let these types of things form your opinion of a guy. Do I really need to be the guy that builds Russell Wilson back up? C'mon.

The one only reason that I dislike Russell less now than I did a few months ago is because I believe the Seahawks have offered him something in the 22 mil per year range, and he has turned it down. That would be pretty disappointing.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Tical21":3nyxp9sh said:
If half of the guys that the public believes were choir boys actually were, this would be a much different era. You can't let these types of things form your opinion of a guy. Do I really need to be the guy that builds Russell Wilson back up? C'mon.

The one only reason that I dislike Russell less now than I did a few months ago is because I believe the Seahawks have offered him something in the 22 mil per year range, and he has turned it down. That would be pretty disappointing.
Source?

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
If he wanted more money on his rookie deal he should have grown TALLER during his formative growth years.

Or... he should have been born four years earlier.... like Sam Bradford, who came into the league prior to the current CBA, which restricts rookie contract amounts and when extensions can be negotiated/signed.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
kannankeril":3fkisuvo said:
The recent contract talks have caused most of us a good deal of angst and I found myself unconsciously blaming RW. As I listened to the arguments from the "pay-the-guy-whatever-it takes" camp, I found myself questioning my POV. I began to realize that I should not really care about the process/outcome of the contract negotiations so much as feel disappointment at the erosion of the image I had built of a larger than life persona.

The only person to blame here is me since the mental image was my construction, what I hoped it would be. RW did not explicitly claim that self-image. The key here is explicitly.

RW has to know the impact of his contract on the ability of this team to sustain success in future. He also has to know that this is a team (owner, GM & coach) that will spend all it can to ensure continued success - this is not the Cincinnati Bengals or the Pittsburgh Pirates. Assuming these statements, I cannot but feel disappointment that he does not feel the need to share that burden/further that goal.

Good post, and I was in the same place a while back. Big fan of RW, steadfast in my support even though a part of me recognised he had some struggles. Then a report (correct or otherwise) came out saying he wanted to be the highest paid QB in the NFL, which made me think of Baltimore and Flacco and how they had to pay him top QB money even though he's nowhere near the top QB in the NFL in my opinion.

So I thought of that in terms of Wilson, and I don't believe that Wilson is the top QB in the NFL, either. In fact, over the past year he has raised several questions that I'm really needing to see answers to this year:

1: Is he a pit bull or a golden retriever? Loyal to his team, or is his loyalty transferable to whoever has the food (money)?

2: How unsettled is his private life? After the divorce, he's been hanging out with his entourage and celebs and is now dating a minor celebrity, placing himself squarely in that ring. How many distractions come with that?

3: Slow starts. Is this a correctable issue? Because if anything it seems to be getting worse.

4: Game-winning drives. Relates to slow starts in that he digs himself a huge hole to come back from, then gets praise for coming back from it. How about we just thrash the hell out of some teams and win comfortably?

5: Has he plateaued? His thing seems to be to hold the ball until all the routes break down then play sandlot ball until he finds an open guy. Can he improve on his read times and hit receivers on their routes? Or is this just his thing, and as good as its going to get?

6: Is Wilson genuine? The receivers like Baldwin and Kearse seem like a tight group, but are rarely associated with Wilson outside of game time. Is there chemistry there or do the "real" guys like Baldwin not relate to the cliches. Do they see a real person or a pretender? Do they buy in to his shtick?

7: The dude is hearing voices. Says it's god telling him the interception was His will, says it's god telling him to be celibate with his model GF. Look, people can have their religion and it doesn't bother me, but literally hearing voices? That's going off the deep end a bit.

My "faith" in Wilson is severely shaken compared to what it once was. I still recognise him as a talent, but am no longer defensive of his flaws. Where once I would have blamed some starts on Bevell or scripted plays or whatnot, I now see it as a flaw in Wilson's game. Where once I would have excused the SB interception, I now believe he wanted to win the game as an ego thing and forced a pass that wasn't on. And what I used to see as using cliches as a defense mechanism that allowed him to be more confident to the media, I now see as a cheap plastic veneer and wonder how deep the person is inside.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Uncle Si":lmogrs4t said:
kannankeril":lmogrs4t said:

can't he both extract every dollar he can AND represent his team with the utmost of his heart, dedication and ability?

This to infinity. I don't understand why people can't get both concepts. When he's working for the Hawks, he all about the team. When he's working for Russell, he's all about Russell. And rightfully so. The idea or fear that his contract will gut the franchise for his benefit is more of a fairy tale then Russell good two shoes image. Russell actually goes to see sick children. His contract hasn't cost us one single game.

SC

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Oh for the love of god...Just STOP IT!! Seriously. This has been the worst offseason ever on this board.
Is this the 100th Wilson/Contract topic? Please make it stop.. :177692: :229031_banghead:
We don't know a damned thing and the media is pure speculation. Get off sociaL media and have a life. I do.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":1qs59d1f said:
Oh for the love of god...Just STOP IT!! Seriously. This has been the worst offseason ever on this board.
Is this the 100th Wilson/Contract topic? Please make it stop.. :177692: :229031_banghead:
We don't know a damned thing and the media is pure speculation. Get off sociaL media and have a life. I do.

And yet... here you are, on a quasi-social media site. :p

No need to get worked up about people sharing their feelings on this issue. The OP wants healing, and this virtual room is his couch. Help the man heal.

Go Hawks!

SeaToTheHawks

Reaction score
Ugh. This is so annoying. RW has literally done NOTHING that has strayed from team first. He has done everything and been the embodiment of a team player and good person. There is not a single blemish on him since he has been with us. But because of some media speculation and because he wants to get paid what he feels his value people are starting to diminish him as a person, calling him veneer and questioning how deep he is as a person. WOW! Get a freaking grip.