Really?????? And, who are these guys????????

Tical21

Reaction score
We've been pretty strong for a while now, but we're still babies in NFL years. We have miles and miles to go before generations have been bred as Seahawks fans. We're still one of the five lease knowledgeable fanbases in the league. The average female Giants fan knows more about football than the guy you work next to that wears the Seahawks hat. Don't believe me? Go to the east coast or the south and start up a football conversation.

AgentDib

Reaction score
The Study":1pihdxx4 said:
In terms of the nuts and bolts of what we are about to present, we use fifteen years of data on NFL team performance, ticket prices, market populations, median incomes, won-loss records and multiple other factors. We create statistical models of box office revenue, and then see which teams over- and under- perform the model’s predictions.
Clickbait article that is dumber than most. This is a (stupid) comparison of box office revenues weighted by city factors. The Seahawks were slightly below average in terms of annual attendance last year, even though every game was a sellout, simply because of stadium size. The Cowboys, on the other hand, were only 90% of capacity all season but still raked in much more revenue because they seat 100k. What an awful metric.

For comparison, there are 9 NFL stadiums with 100%+ capacity over the last three seasons.
- Gillete (Patriots)
- M&T Bank (Ravens)
- Soldier Field (Bears)
- LP (Titans)
- Lincoln Financial (Eagles)
- Reliant (Texans)
- CenturyLink (Seahawks)
- Metlife (Colts)
- Sports Authority (Broncos)

irocdave

Reaction score
This list is so lame, how the hell can the author justify this list? Texans, Titans and way more fan bases in front of the Hawks. They loosely outlined how they determined the ranking but after seeing the list, cmon man. WTF. St Louis Rams ahead of the Hawks? Titans ahead of the Hawks? Bucs ahead of the Hawks? AZ Cards ahead of the Hawks? Frigging Panthers ahead of the Hawks? This is just stupid and shouldn't waste the time or create clicks for that POS site. NY Jets fans are #5, that should tell people what a POS ranking this is.

irocdave

Reaction score
Tical21":zoo9gkfc said:
We've been pretty strong for a while now, but we're still babies in NFL years. We have miles and miles to go before generations have been bred as Seahawks fans. We're still one of the five lease knowledgeable fanbases in the league. The average female Giants fan knows more about football than the guy you work next to that wears the Seahawks hat. Don't believe me? Go to the east coast or the south and start up a football conversation.

That may describe you, but most Hawk fans I know don't fit that description. We have had NFL football for almost 40 years. That would be about 3 generations in todays terms. We have also had a very productive and sometimes dominate college team that plays a couple of miles from the NFL team. That college team has been playing games for over 100 years. Football isn't new the PNW and you obviously are. Get off your east coast horse and call this BS like it is. East Coast author looking for clicks.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Tical21":28w3hr87 said:

I reckon that it depends on one's "measuring stick" when it comes to which fan base is "best" ....and that is a debatable subject.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Ticket revenue is one of the weakest measures you can have of fandom.

Betters metrics:
(1) What percentage of the stadium sells out?
(2) How long is the wait list for season tickets?
(3) How LOUD are the fans?
(2) How much merchandise, including jerseys, do they buy?

:th2thumbs:

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Tical21":22zqmzet said:
Why should I? I live in a city with a legacy team and about the only fanbase that rivals ours in real metrics and let me give you the down low....our female fans are just as knowledgeable as any in Kansas City. Don't forget to factor in the fact that this area has huge fanbases from the east, south and north especially. (Dallas, Chicago, Detroit, Pittsburgh, New York, Atlanta, and even some that follow New England) at their own risk I might say.

Kansas City is very similar to Seattle in that both cities only really care about football but Seattle and the PNW tend to care more for the NFL then even here. And this is a hardcore football area with an original AFC legacy team.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Tical21":3jz32hma said:

I think you would be surprised how ignorant the average fan is about the game in any fan base. People in the South and Midwest are by and large more ignorant of the NFL game due to their preference for college football.

In general, I have found Seahawk fans to be more passionate and more seeking of knowledge than the typical football fan. Part of that is the fact that Carroll has been open and articulate about his philosophy. While many fans still understand very little, I think more Seahawk fans can articulate their team's philosophy better than the fans of any other team.

StaffAmerica74

Reaction score
AgentDib":n9tj07af said:
The Study":n9tj07af said:
In terms of the nuts and bolts of what we are about to present, we use fifteen years of data on NFL team performance, ticket prices, market populations, median incomes, won-loss records and multiple other factors. We create statistical models of box office revenue, and then see which teams over- and under- perform the model’s predictions.
Clickbait article that is dumber than most. This is a (stupid) comparison of box office revenues weighted by city factors. The Seahawks were slightly below average in terms of annual attendance last year, even though every game was a sellout, simply because of stadium size. The Cowboys, on the other hand, were only 90% of capacity all season but still raked in much more revenue because they seat 100k. What an awful

For comparison, there are 9 NFL stadiums with 100%+ capacity over the last three seasons.
- Gillete (Patriots)
- M&T Bank (Ravens)
- Soldier Field (Bears)
- LP (Titans)
- Lincoln Financial (Eagles)
- Reliant (Texans)
- CenturyLink (Seahawks)
- Metlife (Colts?!) gotta get that one right.... we won our superbowl there!!! Jets/giants

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
Tical21":28ocruxu said:

I know at least 86.7 female Giants fans, and they are all dumb and couldn't name more Giants players than Eli Manning or Victor Cruz, and they all think ODB died a couple of years ago.

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
irocdave":2lccpf7m said:
Tical21":2lccpf7m said:

That may describe you, but most Hawk fans I know don't fit that description. We have had NFL football for almost 40 years. That would be about 3 generations in todays terms. We have also had a very productive and sometimes dominate college team that plays a couple of miles from the NFL team. That college team has been playing games for over 100 years. Football isn't new the PNW and you obviously are. Get off your east coast horse and call this BS like it is. East Coast author looking for clicks.

The author was born in NJ, but is 22 years old and went to college/lives/works in LA.

But yeah, eff the author.

Smellyman

Reaction score
had some bad years with the Behring days and almost moving.

However, the Dome was rocking with very knowledgeable fans for many years and now for many in the new century. 40 years of great fans.

But I wouldn't take it as a slight becuase almost every "best of" lists are bad, but that is up there for the worst one ever.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
This is the off-season, guys. People at NFL.com will look at any metric they can find, put a fancy title on it and hope for the best. Once pre-season starts we'll probably be getting articles with some more substance again.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
hawknation2015":vp21be2o said:
Betters metrics:
(1) What percentage of the stadium sells out?
(2) How long is the wait list for season tickets?
:th2thumbs:

I don't think either of these are better metrics, they just privilege teams with smaller stadiums instead of privileging teams with bigger stadiums.

Steve2222

Reaction score
Tical21":5a4hvikp said:

I've lived in the south (Georgia and Louisiana) for the past 4 years and I can assure you that's not true. Females in general around the country for the strong majority say they like football because they think it makes them more attractive to men. I have not, nor do I think I'll ever have an intelligent conversation about the the NFL with a woman. It doesn't matter if you live in Beverly Hills or Alligator Lake, LA. It's all relative.

Again, before I get blasted, I'm not that naive to believe that there isn't a single woman on this planet that is wise to football. But your post was definitely hyperbole.

I believe whoever made that list has a clear bias towards the 12th Man mantra. There's no way Seattle isn't a Top 10 fan base. I know this list is insanely wrong that's why I'm not going to let it bother me.

Tical21

Reaction score
NJSeaHawk":23kytowh said:
Tical21":23kytowh said:

I know at least 86.7 female Giants fans, and they are all dumb and couldn't name more Giants players than Eli Manning or Victor Cruz, and they all think ODB died a couple of years ago.
Didn't you just basically describe your average Seahawks fans?

Look, I am so much of a nerd, that literally my favorite thing on this planet to do is debate and partake in intelligent sports conversations. It is just really, really hard to do in this area. You see so many people with Seahawks gear. Go to a sports bar. Ask one of them if they think Bobby Wagner should get franchised or if Russell Wilson deserves Aaron Rodgers money. 99% of the time, you are not going to get an intelligent thought in return for your question.

I was lucky enough in a previous job to travel around the country doing golf shows. Go to a sports bar in Boston, or Dallas, or DC or Chicago or Nashville, and start up a sports conversation. It is an entirely different world. You walk down the streets in NYC or Boston, you're going to hear sports radio coming out of every other car. You're going to see it on all the tv's you walk by. Wear a sports hat through a real sports town, and you're going to get stopped several times during the day and asked sports questions.

Knowledgeable? Travel well? Did our grandparents grow up going to Seahawks games when they were little? No, no, and no. We'll get there somebody, but right now there is just a galactic difference between us and truly rooted fanbases.

Are Seahawks fans passionate? No doubt. Passion per fan is incredibly high. And we're really, really loud.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Tical21":22gid4hb said:
NJSeaHawk":22gid4hb said:
Tical21":22gid4hb said:

Look, I am so much of a nerd, that literally my favorite thing on this planet to do is debate and partake in intelligent sports conversations. It is just really, really hard to do in this area. You see so many people with Seahawks gear. Go to a sports bar. Ask one of them if they think Bobby Wagner should get franchised or if Russell Wilson deserves Aaron Rodgers money. 99% of the time, you are not going to get an intelligent thought in return for your question.

I was lucky enough in a previous job to travel around the country doing golf shows. Go to a sports bar in Boston, or Dallas, or DC or Chicago or Nashville, and start up a sports conversation. It is an entirely different world. You walk down the streets in NYC or Boston, you're going to hear sports radio coming out of every other car. You're going to see it on all the tv's you walk by. Wear a sports hat through a real sports town, and you're going to get stopped several times during the day and asked sports questions.

Knowledgeable? Travel well? Did our grandparents grow up going to Seahawks games when they were little? No, no, and no. We'll get there somebody, but right now there is just a galactic difference between us and truly rooted fanbases.

Are Seahawks fans passionate? No doubt. Passion per fan is incredibly high. And we're really, really loud.
As per usual you're talking out your ass. Like it makes someone a better fan solely because their team was established before 1976, what a load of steaming poop.

My bet would be if someone said pay Wagner and Wilson even if it means Aaron Rodgers money in Wilson's case, it fails to meet your criteria for intelligent football conversation.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Tical21":cmmu4f4b said:
NJSeaHawk":cmmu4f4b said:
Tical21":cmmu4f4b said:

Sorry but I was in NY for 10 days in december visiting my wifes family. They proclaim to be Giants fans and not one of them could tell you the first thing about their team or ours for that matter and we were on track for a 2nd super bowl run. I went out on the town in daytime and evening and even to a couple sports bars on and before gameday and the only place I could get any kind of football conversation at all was in a Seahawks bar.

I also just flew back from Denver a couple weeks ago where I attended a wedding of a couple hundred people and again absolutely zero football conversation to be had and I was wearing some form a Seahawks gear at pretty much all times.

I don't know if you are just trolling here are you actually believe your statement but right now there is a huge amount of Seahawks fans out there that are taking a very high interest in football from all over the country and to me that was reflected every where I went.