Ricardo Lockette - Has He Ever Said A Peep Since...

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
We've heard from just about everybody on the team since the fateful 2nd down play. Carroll, Schneider, Wilson, Sherman, etc, etc, etc...

But if memory serves...I am almost positive we have never heard from the man himself. The man who was meant to be the target that would have cemented our place in history as the most dominant team in the NFL since the early 2000's when the Patriots (bleck) won back to back Super Bowls.

Am I missing something or is it true that the receiver who was part of the most talked about play in NFL Super Bowl history has never said a word in any interview since the play?

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Pretty much.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/RicardoLockette/status/575342235664842752[/tweet]

Also there's this article:

ALBANY, GA (WALB) -
Former Monroe Tornado and current Seattle Seahawks wide receiver Ricardo Lockette came home for a day named in his honor.

March 22, 2015 was declared by Ricardo Lockette Day by the Albany Board of Commissioners, Dougherty County Board of Commissioners, Mayor Dorothy Hubbard and County Commissioner Chairman Jeff Sinyard.

As for his life with the Seahawks, Lockette said he is looking forward a new year, meeting new teammates like Jimmy Graham and finishing where his team left off in 2015.

"I'm looking forward to a better season," said Lockette, smiling. "And finishing one yard better."

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/2858 ... rty-county

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah I thought so. LAME. On so many levels. If I were PR, I would march his ass out there and tell him to take the knife. Yet Wilson and Carroll did instead. I get it, but that's lame on so many levels. If I am Lockette I would own up to my part for not reaching out and GRASPING that ball like it was your last act on earth and I would certainly own up for not doing everything in my power to win that game.

ADB catches that ball, pissed off as he should.

Instead? Silence. I think that's very lame. I don't blame Lockette for what went down by himself, but he certainly played a major roll in the lack of success on that play. And what gets my goat the most is that I have never once heard his side of the story or one time tell the 12's that he had a part in the destruction of that play.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
For a player as violent as he is on special teams, it is strange that he tends to play the WR position as passively as he does. Breaking on the ball just doesn't come naturally to him, and there was no reason to make him the No. 1 target on the most important play in franchise history.

I think he knows he's on the bubble to make the team this year, but his speed, special teams ability, and low salary work in his favor for at least one more year.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
What could he have said to make it better? Absolutely nothing. If he said it was a bad throw people would be mad at him. If he said it was a bad playcall people would be mad at him. If he said he wasn't aggressive enough on that play people would be mad at him etc.

peppersjap

Reaction score
The guy needs to continue to be quiet, he is trying to make a team and it is going to be a huge battle for him. He wasn't aggressive enough but I'm guessing if he was the OC he would have said "run" too!

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Eh.. that play had so many different layers, blaming one person for it just seems wrong.

- Pete should have never asked for a pass play
- Bevell should have never called THAT pass play, if you're going to throw.. still use Lynch as your #1 threat.. run a PA bootleg
- Russell should have thrown it a bit more on target
- Lockette should have fought for it better
- Kearse should have ran a cleaner route to make the pick more effective and prevent Butler from making a break on the slant route

That's 5 layers to one call. The call stunk, the execution stunk, the result stunk.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
FWIW Lockette is probably the last person I'd blame for that INT. A great defensive play is a great defensive play. I don't think there is a receiver in the league who makes that catch on that play with that defense and that ball placement.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1o5390hp said:
FWIW Lockette is probably the last person I'd blame for that INT. A great defensive play is a great defensive play. I don't think there is a receiver in the league who makes that catch on that play with that defense and that ball placement.
Agree 100%.

Butler was screened from Russell's view and Lockette never knew where Butler was until it was too late.

In hindsight, had the ball been thrown directly at Lockette's body (instead of a couple feet in front of it), the outcome may have been a TD.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1abou543 said:

I can name one . . .

13sea

Greenhell

Reaction score
UGH. My stomach just turned a little at the thought of that play.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
hawknation2015":qd3rle41 said:
Popeyejones":qd3rle41 said:

I can name one . . .

13sea

Nah, The Jimmy would alligator arm it, and is much better with his chest to the QB anyway (like in your .gif above).

Still a top two TE in the game, but I don't think he makes that play.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1di9d13y said:
hawknation2015":1di9d13y said:
Popeyejones":1di9d13y said:

I can name one . . .

13sea

Nah, The Jimmy would alligator arm it, and is much better with his chest to the QB anyway (like in your .gif above).

Still a top two TE in the game, but I don't think he makes that play.

Alligator arm it, LOL. Graham would have ran over Butler on that play.

Graham
WhirlwindDismalCanadagoose.gif

JimmyDrags
jimmy-graham-stiff-arm-against-minnesota-b.gif

G2

Northhawk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2n0w8h2o said:
Popeyejones":2n0w8h2o said:

I can name one . . .

13sea

How is that catch even possible?

I can't wait for this season to start.

Crizilla

Reaction score
I always thought about this as well

Seeing Russ and lockette vacationing out on the boat this off season I just couldn't help myself think....have they talked about the play? Did they practice the play again? It seems like Lockette isn't phased by it. Really weird he hasn't said anything to the media either. Maybe he doesn't wanna talk about it and just move on

I really do think lockette could have been stronger to the ball. He's not even our best receiver for that kind of player either. You'll never convince me that was a good play call. I actually don't mind the decision to pass....but that play call will never be justified.

I could be wrong but as a fan I think I can say this. I thought the moment was too big for lockette and that slight hesitation and lack of fierce desire to catch the ball prevented him to catching it. If that was ADB I think he would have gotten to the ball better. Wasn't a perfect throw either but watching that play it looks like lockette is in slow mo compares to every one else

hawksmode

Reaction score
Overseasfan":dtpzxjfa said:
What could he have said to make it better? Absolutely nothing. If he said it was a bad throw people would be mad at him. If he said it was a bad playcall people would be mad at him. If he said he wasn't aggressive enough on that play people would be mad at him etc.

All of the above is EXACTLY what happened...yeah, I would not say anything either.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
No way in hell if Graham was thrown that same pass does Butler pick it off. It is what it is, weak effort by Lock, and one heck of a play by Butler.

bandiger

Reaction score
What do you want him to say? He's like the 5th-6th WR in the depth chart. Ask Bevell why this dude is slotted to make a GW TD, oh yeah they go by rotation.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1hho1jtm said:
Alligator arm it, LOL. Graham would have ran over Butler on that play.

In response to me saying he'd alligator arm and that he's most effective with his chest squared to the QB you respond with: a .gif of him with two steps before contact, a .gif of him with 20 steps before contact, a gif. of him with trailing coverage, a .gif of him running that doesn't even include the catch, and a last .gif that's another good example of how dominate he is when he can square up with the QB?

You're so weird, dude. :lol:

At least all the .gifs were of the right player this time. ;)

Hawks46

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1hjpag3k said:
Popeyejones":1hjpag3k said:

I can name one . . .

13sea

Well, to be nit picky, that ball was thrown to his body, almost on the back shoulder. Right about on the top of the 8 in 80. Lockette's throw was out in front if him, giving Butler room to get to the ball. Ball placement could've been better, but I also have issue with the play call. Why call a play that takes perfect ball placement to succeed and hinge the success of a season on that ? I've been on record saying a PA bootleg pass by Wilson would've scored and taken time off of the clock. A throwback to Lynch has also been mentioned and it's been a deadly part of our arsenal before.

To be obvious, of course Graham would've fared better. He's 6'7" and 270 lbs. Butler couldn't have moved him like he moved Lockette. He also naturally shields the ball better. That's a completely unfair comparison to Lockette. Sure, let's castigate him because he's not better than the 1st or 2nd best red zone threat in the entire league. At this point, we're getting ridiculous.

To be completely Captain Obvious, of course Graham would've been a better option.....which is why the Seahawks went out and got him.