Seahawks reportedly make huge contract offer to Russell

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawksincebirth

Reaction score
The Seahawks have offered quarterback Russell Wilson a contract offer worth $21 million per year, according to Pro Football Talk
Wilson is entering the final year of his rookie contract, which would pay him $1.54 million this season. With his new deal, the 2012 third-round pick from Wisconsin would be the NFL's third-highest paid quarterback behind Green Bay's Aaron Rodgers ($22 million per season) and Pittsburgh's Ben Roethlisberger ($21.85 million).

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...ffer-to-russell-wilson/ar-AAduYFb?ocid=HPCDHP

Torc

Reaction score
I'd be interested in knowing his counteroffer. I assume he and his agent don't just sit around waiting for offers, there must have been more response than "no thanks, try again".

BadgerVid

Reaction score
Why should he sign for $21M starting in '16 before the '15 season...? One chance in a thousand that he can't get more by waiting UNTIL '16 to sign.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Yeah.. Wilson isn't signing, and we're headed for a season where he could very well go Joe Flacco and win another Super Bowl then really raise the bar on his salary demands.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Cyrus12":30bpgaf9 said:
and apparently he has said no....which is just ridiculous if its true...
2000% more than his current "Ridiculous" salary.
He's worth the 22 + M that Rodgers is getting.
How many TD's has Rodgers RUSHED for in the last two Seasons? Proof is in the doing, not the stats.
We went from Peyton Manning being the best to ever play the game, to 'NO', scratch that, NOW it's Aaron Rodgers that is the best to ever play the game.
All Wilson did was produce when the Season progressed, and the games got tight...enough in fact, that IF Aaron Rodgers were indeed the best to ever play the game, and in the "ELITE" category? he would have been able edge out Wilson to win the NFCGG in January, and he couldn't do it.
The Defense is indeed responsible for keeping the all mighty AR from capitalizing for the victory (carry the team on his back for the win).......Like the Non-Elite Wilson and the Seahawks Special Teams did.
When the chips were down, Wilson did his share of coming from behind to HELP win the game......again.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
There's still a lot of speculation in these reports. Florio is making assumptions based on what he's hearing and reporting it as fact (as usual). We really don't have any idea what the real numbers being offered are.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
scutterhawk":2qievehw said:
Cyrus12":2qievehw said:
and apparently he has said no....which is just ridiculous if its true...
2000% more than his current "Ridiculous" salary.
He's worth the 22 + M that Rodgers is getting.
How many TD's has Rodgers RUSHED for in the last two Seasons? Proof is in the doing, not the stats.
We went from Peyton Manning being the best to ever play the game, to 'NO', scratch that, NOW it's Aaron Rodgers that is the best to ever play the game.
All Wilson did was produce when the Season progressed, and the games got tight...enough in fact, that IF Aaron Rodgers were indeed the best to ever play the game, and in the "ELITE" category? he would have been able edge out Wilson to win the NFCGG in January, and he couldn't do it.
The Defense is indeed responsible for keeping the all mighty AR from capitalizing for the victory (carry the team on his back for the win).......Like the Non-Elite Wilson and the Seahawks Special Teams did.
When the chips were down, Wilson did his share of coming from behind to HELP win the game......again.

LOL.

Rushing TD stats for a QB are the basis for Wilson deserving Rodgers money? And arent rushing TD's.....stats??

And yes, as time goes on (Manning getting older) other QB's do take the mantle. Thats how it works. Rodgers being the best QB in the game is pretty unanimous.

You think the Seahawks won the NFC Championship game because Wilson was a better QB than Rodgers?

I love Wilson, but the hawks won that game in spite of him, not because of him. Rodgers has a nice supporting cast, but he would drool to have the same roster that Wilson does.

In fact, as long as we are using your logic, if Wilson was "elite" or even in the same category as Tom Brady wouldnt he have been able to edge out Brady for the Super Bowl? He couldnt do it.....

That logic doesnt work well, does it?

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":sil512uo said:
Yeah.. Wilson isn't signing, and we're headed for a season where he could very well go Joe Flacco and win another Super Bowl then really raise the bar on his salary demands.

How much higher can you get than highest paid player in the NFL with most of that guaranteed (*if the speculation is true of course* )

:D

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":33l64a11 said:
More speculation based off of little fact

Sure, but all of the speculation seems to be saying strikingly similar things.

What is the alternative....that the seahawks FO has suddenly broken their MO and are randomly lowballing him like crazy?

Possible, but entirely unlikely.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Mr. Wilson is beginning to distance himself from some of his fan base. He has little support for his "excessive" demands....as reported by those "in the know". Folks here can say that "we don't know beans about the real numbers". Based on previous contracts offered by the FO to other players they wanted to keep, they seemed to me to be "fair"......and they all signed. Pretty soon the team runs up against the salary cap....but this has been "hashed out" hundreds of times this off season. I still believe that Russell will sign before TC begins this Saturday.....well, I can hope, can't I?

mikeak

Reaction score
BadgerVid":j30zm8m5 said:
Why should he sign for $21M starting in '16 before the '15 season...? One chance in a thousand that he can't get more by waiting UNTIL '16 to sign.

Why?
Because $100 millionish now is better than playing on one year contracts for 3 years for the upside of getting $105 million later

If we were talking $200 if he waited then yes take the risk, but the difference in what he will get does not justify the risk

erik2690

Reaction score
I'm confused, is this a new offer? I could have sworn several places including Clayton said 20+ has been on the table for a while. Am I misremembering?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
The question really shouldn't be could Russell Wilson make more money by hitting free agency. The answer is yes. But that was also true of Cam Newton, Ben Roethlisberger, Colin Kaepernick, Aaron Rodgers, etc. before they signed their extensions.

This isn't about maxing out, taking a discount or being afraid to get hurt.

It's about: (A) do you want to make a commitment for a little less now so everyone can get on with their lives and plan accordingly; or (B) do you want to be the highest paid player in the NFL?

All this talk about injury-concern and interest on his signing bonus is just white noise and besides the point. Russell Wilson is free to choose whatever decision he wants, but at the end of the day, the two questions above is all it comes down to. The other QBs I listed helped their teams and chose Door A, and Russell is free to walk through that door as well. But if he wants to be Robinson Cano instead and milk the process for all it's worth (and eventually end up on a different team), then that's also within his right.

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
I am over it. Wilson will either sign the contract or he won't. The Seahawks will make a decision based on what is best for the franchise. The result could end up being very painful for Seahawk fans including myself. Wilson is the best QB we have ever had.

This reminds me of the Alex Rodriguez situation where Arod said all the right things and then bolted when a more lucrative contract was offered to him. You could say it was the beginning of the end for Arod's squeaky clean image. Of course, the NFL is a different ballgame. Wilson can not just up and bolt and we have control for a couple of years but it feels similar.

This will either end up very ugly or it won't. I will always be fond of the superbowl Wilson helped bring to Seattle and the Pacific Northwest. However, I will be throwing dollar bills from the upperdeck at him if he is donning another jersey.

Wilson has Seattle in the palm of his hands but it doesn't matter. He will have any city in the palm of his hands. Wilson either wants to be part of our success or he doesn't. None of this BS means anything in the grand scheme of things.

If WIlson doesn't sign a long term contract this year, it is not going to happen ever with this franchise unless he has a down year. If by chance he does sign a contract with the Hawks after this year, we are going to have a fire sale in the not so distant future.

Rob12

Reaction score
Why are people taking this so personally? He's "distancing himself from the fan base?" That's BS.

What is Newton's APY? Isn't it $20.8M? It's close to that. So it's some huge surprise, and a slap in the face, that he's turning down a deal that might be extremely similar to a QB that can't carry his jock?

What am I missing here?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Rob12":280ozui3 said:
What is Newton's APY? Isn't it $20.8M? It's close to that. So it's some huge surprise, and a slap in the face, that he's turning down a deal that might be extremely similar to a QB that can't carry his jock?

What am I missing here?

If I had to guess, Russell is probably being offered $21M+/year but also $10-20M more than Cam in full guarantees. To the extent there is a disparity in talent between the two, that's likely where it's being made up. The PFT report specifically mentions "significant" guarantees.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts