Have at it... We'll find out in week four I guess....

ptisme

Reaction score
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2 ... n-seahawks

"We've got the same kind of talent they got. They ain't too much different," Slay told the Detroit Free Press. "They got a pass rush, they've got DBs, we've got DBs. They've got 'backers, we've got 'backers.

"We were one of the best defenses in the league. I mean, we were the No. 1 defense for like, I don't how long, until the last few weeks of the season."

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
ptisme":231kk09j said:
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2015-07-27/detroit-lions-darius-slay-more-talented-than-seahawks

"We've got the same kind of talent they got. They ain't too much different," Slay told the Detroit Free Press. "They got a pass rush, they've got DBs, we've got DBs. They've got 'backers, we've got 'backers.

"We were one of the best defenses in the league. I mean, we were the No. 1 defense for like, I don't how long, until the last few weeks of the season."

It's the time of year for public chest beating and talking out of one's southern most orifice. BTW.......I never heard of this guy.

Brithawk

Reaction score
ptisme":39szssnt said:
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2015-07-27/detroit-lions-darius-slay-more-talented-than-seahawks "They got a pass rush, they've got DBs, we've got DBs. They've got 'backers, we've got 'backers.
So he's implying they have no pass rush now Suh & Fairley have gone

OP
OP
ptisme

ptisme

Reaction score
As a Packer fan I will say this: One of these teams has figured out Aaron Rodgers... The other is his little bitch.... With or without Suh and Fairley....

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Last year they were probably on par with the Seahawks.

After losing Suh, I don't know how they can still say that.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Darius Slay? How cute. The guy sucks and couldn't even make our team.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Maybe Slay should keep his mouth shut, but diminishing his ability as a CB is either petty or displays a lack of knowledge about the NFL more generally. After a rough rookie outing he was a monster last year.

The loss of Suh is big of course, but I still think Teryl Ausitn is the major story with Detroit's defense, and he's still there.

That Slay's a little salty about how much love the Seahawks defense gets isn't to be unexpected either. IIRC he's right. Detroit had the best defense in the league until the end of the season, and ended up #2 in yards/game and #2 in ppg.

That doesn't take away anything from the Hawks - their defense was still #1 in both yards and points by a pretty sizeable margin (30 yards/game and 1.7 points a game), but Detrioit had a monster year on defense that basically got ignored because they couldn't run the ball to save their lives and Johnson was banged up all year.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
ptisme":38gvmp1u said:
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2015-07-27/detroit-lions-darius-slay-more-talented-than-seahawks

Who just lost their best defensive player by a mile.

The Lions are good team, with a decent defense, but sorry they don't compare to the Hawks D.............and until they take care of their own division, none of their players should be comparing themselves to a SB Champ/ elite D like the Hawks.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
With Suh and Fairley in last year, the Lions run defense was nigh-impenetrable. (Like 1.7 yards per carry or something like that.) WIthout them, they were a sieve - 5+ yards per carry. Both guys are gone. If they stop the run the same way this year as they did last year without Suh and Fairley, it's not going to matter how good their secondary is.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":2eiy815p said:
With Suh and Fairley in last year, the Lions run defense was nigh-impenetrable. (Like 1.7 yards per carry or something like that.) WIthout them, they were a sieve - 5+ yards per carry.

Suh played all 16 games last year. In the 8 games that Fairley played they averaged giving up 74 YPG on the ground, and in the 8 games Fairley didn't play they averaged giving up 64 YPG on the ground.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
The Lions are missing the playoffs this year. That defense was good a year ago but lost a ton this offseason. Suh made that DL flat scary and Fairley hurt their depth. Ngata is a nice piece, but is far better as a 34 NT than a 4-3 guy. Not to mention their secondary can't hold a candle to ours. Their best corner would be a 3rd/4th string here. Their starting safeties would be backups.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Giphy

Aaaawww, adorable.

Sea , Yards - 4th , Pts - 1st
Det , Yards - 13th , Pts - 27th

Sea , Yards - 1st , Pts - 1st
Det , Yards - 16th , Pts - 15th

Sea , Yards - 1st , Pts - 1st
Det , Yards - 2nd , Pts - 3rd

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
So adorable.

When push comes to shove, they remember they are the Detroit Lions and do what they do best...Fold.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Popeyejones":df441igk said:
Sarlacc83":df441igk said:
With Suh and Fairley in last year, the Lions run defense was nigh-impenetrable. (Like 1.7 yards per carry or something like that.) WIthout them, they were a sieve - 5+ yards per carry.

Suh played all 16 games last year. In the 8 games that Fairley played they averaged giving up 74 YPG on the ground, and in the 8 games Fairley didn't play they averaged giving up 64 YPG on the ground.

Per play basis not overall. Suh played 81% of snaps and Fairley just 27. So, yeah.....

And either way my point is doubly confirmed when you look at the sum total numbers you found. Those 2 guys were incredibly important and they are both gone. (Suh more than Fairley given the snap disparity.)

Steve2222

Reaction score
I don't see anything wrong with what he said. I mean obviously that's not true but it's not like he was being disrespectful. Quite the contrary. He recognizes us as having the best D, and he thinks his D is on par with the best.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Popeyejones":34v0wewa said:
Maybe Slay should keep his mouth shut, but diminishing his ability as a CB is either petty or displays a lack of knowledge about the NFL more generally. After a rough rookie outing he was a monster last year.

The loss of Suh is big of course, but I still think Teryl Ausitn is the major story with Detroit's defense, and he's still there.

That Slay's a little salty about how much love the Seahawks defense gets isn't to be unexpected either. IIRC he's right. Detroit had the best defense in the league until the end of the season, and ended up #2 in yards/game and #2 in ppg.

That doesn't take away anything from the Hawks - their defense was still #1 in both yards and points by a pretty sizeable margin (30 yards/game and 1.7 points a game), but Detrioit had a monster year on defense that basically got ignored because they couldn't run the ball to save their lives and Johnson was banged up all year.
Popeye. I live in Michigan and am forced to watch the Lions every weekend. I have watched Slay. He sucks. ESPECIALLY compared to what Seattle has. He needs to shut up.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":25y3ztp1 said:
Popeyejones":25y3ztp1 said:

Popeye. I live in Michigan and am forced to watch the Lions every weekend. I have watched Slay. He is an average CB at best. ESPECIALLY compared to what Seattle has. He needs to shut up.