My Theory on "Possible" Hold Outs

ivotuk

Reaction score
I've been thinking about this, and I keep coming back to one question, "What good does it do a player to let leak that they want more money, or may do a hold out" when there's no chance of it being successful?

Using Kam and Michael Bennett as examples, it's obvious that Russell and BWagz are priorities, and that once those 2 contracts are signed, there won't be any money left over for Kam and MB. So what's the upside?

There's a saying out there that celebrities have, "there's no such thing as bad publicity."

So what's one way that celebrities make money? Name or brand recognition. They can use that to land lucrative advertising deals.

So what's an easy way to build one's name/brand recognition while all the headlines are about Tom Brady and Russell Wilson? Threaten a hold out. Sure, some fans will be upset about it, but as soon as the season starts, and the player gets that first sack or big hit, all is forgiven and forgotten.

And the player? Their name is now recognizable to thousands more fans in other venues who had never heard of them before.

So if I'm a fairly well known player on a Superbowl winning team and I want to build my brand recognition, I will do anything to get it out there. Knowing that as soon as the season starts, all those negative feelings will be forgotten.

What proof do I have that this may in fact be the case? None. But look at the trouble Vernon Davis went to in order to keep his name relevant. He was selling "shares" in his name.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10816 ... -next-week

I'm sure many of you will see this as far-fetched, but I refer you back to my original question: "What good is it to threaten a hold out when there's zero chance of it being successful?"

There's some kind of strategy there, the question is, what kind?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
ivotuk":3fc5rohb said:
I'm sure many of you will see this as far-fetched, but I refer you back to my original question: "What good is it to threaten a hold out when there's zero chance of it being successful?"

There's some kind of strategy there, the question is, what kind?

I think there's now some agent plan of attack for guys like Bennett and Kam, and it's not to get them more money this year. They're smart enough to realize that their client had ZERO leverage at the beginning of a contract, or even middle to hold out and get what they want.

So IMO when we hear guys like these threatening to hold out, it's merely to plant the seed that they're unhappy. This begins the wheels churning for the Hawks organization/John to start laying the groundwork for a contract re-do in a year or two when the player actually DOES has leverage...........as Marshawn did.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Nobody is going to hold out. They may miss a little camp but that is it. Once the fines start to rack up they will report. They arnt going to miss game checks. The team has all the leverage here. There is nothing to be concerned about.