Good Pro Russ Article

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
By NFL.com's Bucky Brooks. Hard to argue with the man.

If no deal gets done, what a shame and both sides are to blame for not being able to find that middle ground.

I'm sure the Wilson skeptics will take me to task for emphatically stating that the fourth-year pro deserves to be paid like a top-five quarterback, but he is a spectacular playmaker with a stellar résumé that is unrivaled in NFL history. Wilson is the first quarterback to appear in two Super Bowls in his first three seasons. At the moment, Wilson holds the second-best career passer rating in NFL history (98.6, behind only Aaron Rodgers' absurd 106.0) among those with 1,000 or more pass attempts.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... e-seahawks

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
It's hard to reach any kind of conclusion as to which side is to blame when you consider that we'll probably never know the exact details of what the team offered and what Russell's camp wanted. It is a shame that it didn't get done and I think it's fair to say that both sides could have done better.

Still, it didn't get nasty, Wilson didn't miss a single OTA and even worked with the receivers on his own time, and Carroll and Schneider have been nothing but complimentary to Wilson. Both sides still want to get a deal done and that's why I still believe this will get done sooner or later, even if it didn't get done in time for camp.

Geologic

Reaction score
Blame Russell's baseball agent. He wants to change how football players get paid, and since he usually works with baseball players, he doesn't mind burning bridges with football front offices. 21 million a year sounds about right for Russell, especially if you consider he's on the hook for one more year at 1.5 million. No way is it a good idea for the Seahawks to pay him like he's a freeagent this year. He can't have his cake and eat it too.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Aros":r6g8tu45 said:
I'm sure the Wilson skeptics will take me to task for emphatically stating that the fourth-year pro deserves to be paid like a top-five quarterback

That's a bit of a straw man. I don't think many people are contesting that at this point. This place would erupt in cheers Russ took a "mere" top-5 contract.

Rob12

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3lam7asm said:
Aros":3lam7asm said:
I'm sure the Wilson skeptics will take me to task for emphatically stating that the fourth-year pro deserves to be paid like a top-five quarterback

That's a bit of a straw man. I don't think many people are contesting that at this point. This place would erupt in cheers Russ took a "mere" top-5 contract.

I had the same thought. I'd bet my house that the Seahawks have/had an offer on the table that would pay Russ top five QB money. So really, I have no idea what the author is talking about.

I'm still homering it up and expecting an announcement that a deal has been reached tomorrow on Blue Friday.

Enough is enough.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
No way a deal gets done in 2015. Rogers has already stated that his one criticism of NFL contract negotiations is that they underestimate the value of free agency as a tool. Russ views Mark Rogers as a 'father figure' and we all know how he felt about the father his agent replaces. 'Daddy' has convinced RW that forcing the Seahawks to change the way they structure contracts is the right course of action (rolling vs fully guaranteed). Russ will do whatever the man says (yes, Daddy). The team will tag him in 2016, and we won't see a deal before 2017, if then.

They are going against the practices of John Schneider, and most importantly Paul Allen (not to mention the league as a whole).

This is silly.

mikeak

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2pdiwzd4 said:
Aros":2pdiwzd4 said:

This place filled with seahawk fans - yes straw man

General NFL fans - I think many has him below top ten and maybe about 15th

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Regardless, he isn't going to be playing for another team for at least 3 more seasons, worst case. He'll sign a deal eventually. And hey, if he wants to play for 1.5 mil, fine. Gives more $ to work with, get Wags and Sweezy signed to extensions to start with. His agent is clearly being unrealistic, but the way some people treat Wilson and/or expect him to sign for "way less" etc. is laughable. He's a top tier quarterback trying to get a big contract. Just because the media claims he is demanding to be the highest paid in football, doesn't make it fact. I don't believe most of the crap they say anyway. Just trying get people to pay attention to their ridiculous articles. But hey, if Wilson tries to get a bad contract, he's not a "team guy" according to many out there. But if Lord Brady, Manning, Clam Newton, Flacco, Brees, Kaep and Rottenbarfer get big contracts, it's just "business" :th2thumbs:

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Someone should show this article to the nonces on whinerzone.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Also, it's interesting how nobody is talking about the fact that Wilson is willing to play for 1.5 mil this year. All while not missing any practices, still being out there as a team leader, risking a lot of $ by getting injured w/out an extension etc. But hey, let's ignore guys who have signed contracts and 2 years later want more $ all the sudden.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":zqtz5zgq said:
Someone should show this article to the nonces on whinerzone.

I don't see how this even remotely related to the topic, but FWIW from what I've seen folks on the zone would like this: they want the Seahawks to pay as much as possible on Wilson's new contract.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
The difference is that the Hawks will get plenty back on their investment . While the Niners are stuck with choke artist Kaep.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":va3cxy8f said:
The difference is that the Hawks will get plenty back on their investment . While the Niners are stuck with choke artist Kaep.

Regardless of truth or not, this is even further off-topic, and is building multiple hypotheticals on top of each other to make a comparison that doesn't have anything at all to do with what will end up happening with Wilson's contract negotiations.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I loved the article overall and he pointed out a couple of things that people take for granted with Wilson. So glad the deal got done, great move for Seattle and the best is yet to come.

byau

Reaction score
0ap3000000505233

vs Brady and Big Ben first three years

* comparable # of attempts
* comparable completion percentage
* comparable yards
* comparable yards per game

And the next three all related:

* MORE TD's
* FEWER INTERCEPTIONS
* HIGHER RATING

Wowwwweeeee.. and he's ours and he hasn't even reached his prime

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
byau":2xx3qfz2 said:
0ap3000000505233

vs Brady and Big Ben first three years

* comparable # of attempts
* comparable completion percentage
* comparable yards
* comparable yards per game

And the next three all related:

* MORE TD's
* FEWER INTERCEPTIONS
* HIGHER RATING

Wowwwweeeee.. and he's ours and he hasn't even reached his prime

Awesome graphic. So many people just assume Wilson won't blossom into a potent passer and it blows my mind. Pull up Drew Brees' first few years too. He's possibly an even better comparison since they are very similar in size and were both starting their careers with the best RB in football behind them.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
The stat you didn't put here ... Size. Yup ... the size of the QB ...
RW is by far shorter than the ones he is being compared to...