Whats this mean for Bwagz? Thee place for Wagner contract speculation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
You guys just see this tweet? Did his deal just fall apart?

Bobby WagnerVerified account
‏@Bwagz54

Can't keep everyone

edited title by Pmedic920
Please post all "Wagner" contract speculations/ talks here.
Thank you kindly.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I like Wagz but this is garbage. He claim he was hacked once he realizes he's going to get killed for it.

xkj1985x

Reaction score
Is it that easy though? I ask becuase I really am not all that privvy with the Hawks cap going forward but especially next year when RWs new number kicks in, franchising BWagz will cost what---13-15M per season? Will they be able to really do that?

kidhawk

Reaction score
gowazzu02":2s2eng04 said:

‏@Bwagz54

Can't keep everyone

I saw the tweet, and I knew it would be blown up around here, because well, that's what this place does.

Why can't Bobby just be fretting for his brothers in the locker room like Bruce Irvin and others who will be up for contracts that we won't be able to afford.

There's absolutely nothing untrue about the statement. When you have a franchise quarterback and you sign him to a long term deal, it means you will lose some guys you may otherwise have kept. Not keeping everyone happens all the time. We would have loved to keep Maxwell but he was going to get overpaid on the open market and that will happen to more guys now that we have less cap space. It's just a simple fact of life in the NFL.

Wagner will NOT be one of those casualties

HawkFan72

Reaction score
xkj1985x":29ty0yrs said:
Is it that easy though? I ask becuase I really am not all that privvy with the Hawks cap going forward but especially next year when RWs new number kicks in, franchising BWagz will cost what---13-15M per season? Will they be able to really do that?

I guess they will be able to do that easier than the $25 million it would have cost to franchise Wilson.

xkj1985x

Reaction score
HawkFan72":3vz2r0v0 said:
xkj1985x":3vz2r0v0 said:

I guess they will be able to do that easier than the $25 million it would have cost to franchise Wilson.

Well that is true but when the conversation to franchise Wilson was taking place, he wasn't going to have this giant contract that he agreed to today.

So now you have the Russ deal with him making 19M per or whatever on top of the potential franchise tag for Wagz at an addition 13-15M.

kidhawk

Reaction score
xkj1985x":2b76rbmi said:
HawkFan72":2b76rbmi said:
xkj1985x":2b76rbmi said:

Well that is true but when the conversation to franchise Wilson was taking place, he wasn't going to have this giant contract that he agreed to today.

So now you have the Russ deal with him making 19M per or whatever on top of the potential franchise tag for Wagz at an addition 13-15M.

First, the cap will go up next year, and any cap room we have left over now gets rolled over into that.

Second, we can rework other deals to free up cash if we need to

Lastly, we don't necessarily need to tag him. That's a LONG time from now and there has been no statement saying they were going to stop negotiating, so they are likely still working on a deal.

fridayfrenzy

Reaction score
kidhawk":1vkk995r said:
gowazzu02":1vkk995r said:

‏@Bwagz54

Can't keep everyone

I saw the tweet, and I knew it would be blown up around here, because well, that's what this place does.

Why can't Bobby just be fretting for his brothers in the locker room like Bruce Irvin and others who will be up for contracts that we won't be able to afford.

There's absolutely nothing untrue about the statement. When you have a franchise quarterback and you sign him to a long term deal, it means you will lose some guys you may otherwise have kept. Not keeping everyone happens all the time. We would have loved to keep Maxwell but he was going to get overpaid on the open market and that will happen to more guys now that we have less cap space. It's just a simple fact of life in the NFL.

The statement may be true but it was in poor taste.

kidhawk

Reaction score
fridayfrenzy":1oyuvpgd said:
kidhawk":1oyuvpgd said:
gowazzu02":1oyuvpgd said:

‏@Bwagz54

Can't keep everyone

The statement may be true but it was in poor taste.

I generally feel that jumping to a conclusion over a tweet without knowing the context is in much poorer taste.

Earlier this off season Paul Richardson tweeted out randomly that it was going to be longer than he thought (or something close to that) and people went off thinking that he was tweeting about his rehab. Eventually he had to come out and tweet a follow up that it was something about waiting for his mom getting a cell phone or something else as simple as that.

Basically, tweets are way too easy to take out of context and when people do that, it says more about them than the guy tweeting it.

Ozzy

Reaction score
There's nothing untrue but the timing is tacky at best and he should of kept it to himself. Not a fan of it at all.

Chancellors tweet congratulating Wilson was pure class though.

A

Anonymous

He could have used a few more characters up in that tweet, that's for sure.

kidhawk

Reaction score
austinslater25":2a7rh7ps said:
There's nothing untrue but the timing is tacky at best and he should of kept it to himself. Not a fan of it at all.

You absolutely can't judge a guy by a single tweet taken out of context. Well you can, but it's wrong to do so. Those who do are just showing more negative about themselves than anything else, because when we read tweets, we read them from our perspective. We have no idea what his perspective behind the tweet actually is/was. When we do this, we are often adding hidden meaning from our thoughts that may or may not have anything to actually do with the tweet.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
For this case, don't sweat it.

The 13m tag value is for the 'exclusive' franchise tag value. That is the average of the top 5 salaries in the given tag year.

For Wagner, he's a MLB. The top value contracts for LBs are almost exclusively OLB/Pass rush LBs. In this case, Seattle's real value is somewhere in the 9m range. Because as a MLB, Seattle will be comfortable putting the non exclusive tag on him. Which is the average of the top 5 salaries over the last 5 years. Which is significantly less.

The non exclusive means he can negotiate elsewhere. And the team has the right to match. And further if a team does sign him, we get 2 first round picks as compensation.

Given that -- his open market value is going to be significantly less.

Wagner isn't going anywhere. He'll get non exclusive tagged next year for a much smaller figure. Any team that wants to try to jack his value hoping we'll match is going to find themselves with a grossly overpaid MLB and short their next two first round picks.

Ozzy

Reaction score
kidhawk":s0v17rmq said:
austinslater25":s0v17rmq said:

You absolutely can't judge a guy by a single tweet taken out of context. Well you can, but it's wrong to do so. Those who do are just showing more negative about themselves than anything else, because when we read tweets, we read them from our perspective. We have no idea what his perspective behind the tweet actually is/was. When we do this, we are often adding hidden meaning from our thoughts that may or may not have anything to actually do with the tweet.
It's a fair point and I usually try but I know a couple of people who have some knowledge about the players and that plays into my opinion. Still not a fan, and like HH said a few more words would of been nice. I get what you're saying but I'm still not a fan. If that'd a negative on me I'll live with it. :) it's not the end of the world or anything to freak out about but I still don't like it.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
xkj1985x":2ksyblne said:
HawkFan72":2ksyblne said:
xkj1985x":2ksyblne said:

Davis Hsu addressed this. It is still less money.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/627142333671211011[/tweet]

kidhawk

Reaction score
austinslater25":3tv7sd68 said:
kidhawk":3tv7sd68 said:
austinslater25":3tv7sd68 said:

It's a fair point and I usually try but I know a couple of people who have some knowledge about the players and that plays into my opinion. Still not a fan, and like HH said a few more words would of been nice. I get what you're saying but I'm still not a fan. If that'd a negative on me I'll live with it. :) it's not the end of the world or anything to freak out about but I still don't like it.

When he signs his new deal will that change the "negative opinion"?

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Like I said in another thread if I found out the NFL made social media illegal for players to use while under contract I would be one happy man. Never going to happen but I can at least dream.

Abraham Lincoln's famous quote needs to be adjusted for modern times:

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out (on Twitter) and remove all doubt."

Not necessarily aimed at Wags specifically but boy it sure could be for a lot of players out there at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.