Kam wants a new deal, don't say Seahawks set a precedent

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
http://mynorthwest.com/292/2790025/Kam-Chancellor-the-Seahawks-and-the-price-of-success-in-the-NFL

Precedent. That's the word that is used in these instances, and now Seattle's dealings with Marshawn Lynch last year are being cited as a precedent for the team giving in to a player's demands.

Just one problem with that: Seattle didn't give in. Not according to what I was told last August after Lynch reported and not what was reiterated to me this week. While Lynch's contract was adjusted last year with some performance bonuses being turned into base salary, I was told specifically that Seattle had already offered to make those adjustments previously in the offseason. No one from Lynch's side ever disputed that description. In other words, Seattle didn't give Lynch more because he held out. Rather, he accepted what had already been offered.

pmedic920

Reaction score
I love #24 but yea, giving into him last year made things tough moving forward.

Sounds like we have room to get a deal done with "Waggs" but it won't leave much for Kam.

I'm not sure we can make #31 happy. I hope he sees this FWIW, and doesn't pay many 30k fines.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Not sure what you were told, but it was public knowledge that Seattle only gave Marshawn bonus money as part of his pay.

And Marshawn could have retired this year, but they renegotiated his contract at a time when he could have just walked away from Seattle. That's consistent with what they always do.

And if other players don't understand that Marshawn Lynch is the Heart & Soul of this team, then they aren't paying attention. What the team does in context with BeastMode is completely different from any other situation, past, present, or future.

It's not a precedent.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
ivotuk":1hp4j2t5 said:
Not sure what you were told, but it was public knowledge that Seattle only gave Marshawn bonus money as part of his pay.

And Marshawn could have retired this year, but they renegotiated his contract at a time when he could have just walked away from Seattle. That's consistent with what they always do.

And if other players don't understand that Marshawn Lynch is the Heart & Soul of this team, then they aren't paying attention. What the team does in context with BeastMode is completely different from any other situation, past, present, or future.

It's not a precedent.

What you said.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I don't know all the facts in regards to Marshawn, but if he was given more wasn't it because he had saved so much money that retirement was a legitimate option for him?

kidhawk

Reaction score
ivotuk":2c2wu2tg said:

It's not a precedent.

This

Lynch was given some of his future money up front as a guarantee. He wasn't given more money. I have no problem with Kam getting more guarantees moving forward. Everything is about the guarantees.

Look at Wilson's deal. So many people said he wanted to be the highest paid player in the league, when in fact he wanted more guaranteed money. Guarantees in the contract are the only thing a player cares about. The overall deal is meaningless if it's not guaranteed.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Semantics.

Some say re-negotiated, some say set a precedent. Either way what the Hawks did with Lynch was not the norm, so IMO it's the same thing.

When you re-negotiate or re-work a player's deal that still has 2-3 years left on it, it's out of the norm. So a case could be made is that it IS a precedent...........and since we now have two players in the same situation as Lynch now holding their hands out again, and one holding out? Sorry, you can't tell me that wasn't a precedent.

If you disagree, answer me this. If the Hawks told Lynch to go take a hike no way in hell they do anything for him last year, do Bennett and Kam do what they're doing? My guess is no. The only reason they're voicing their dissatisfaction is because there's hope that they can now get more money because Lynch got his deal re-worked.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1j94bugs said:
Semantics.

Some say re-negotiated, some say set a precedent. Either way what the Hawks did with Lynch was not the norm, so IMO it's the same thing.

When you re-negotiate or re-work a player's deal that still has 2-3 years left on it, it's out of the norm. So a case could be made is that it IS a precedent...........and since we now have two players in the same situation as Lynch now holding their hands out again, and one holding out? Sorry, you can't tell me that wasn't a precedent.

If you disagree, answer me this. If the Hawks told Lynch to go take a hike no way in hell they do anything for him last year, do Bennett and Kam do what they're doing? My guess is no. The only reason they're voicing their dissatisfaction is because there's hope that they can now get more money because Lynch got his deal re-worked.

If you want to call the modification to the bonus incentive money renegotiating I suppose you could be right, but that's pretty thin as it doesn't impact the cap or other players. He had one year left when the reworked and extended his contract. Kam will likely get more of his guaranteed.

Personally I think he just wanted to sit on the beach a bit longer.

SC

themunn

Reaction score
ivotuk":3ec4dozi said:

It's not a precedent.

If anything they set a precedent with Chris Clemons rather than Beastmode. But I agree - the Seahawks don't pay Lynch and he retires. What's Kam's leverage? He could also retire, but somehow I think that only 2 years into his big deal, he'd rather the money.

With that said, I think they come to an understanding - probably guaranteeing a portion of the remainder of his contract, which gives him some peace of mind that the injuries which have been building up over several years of big hitting won't prevent him from being cut without compensation

chris98251

Reaction score
All Lynch got was a year advance on his money, or a swap of payout years I think is more accurate, no new money. Kinda like a going on future sales and getting a pre commision based on your sales history by a company. At some point it evens out when that payday comes due and you don't get the bump in line with your sales becasue you got it early.

Kam seems to want additional money, different situation.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Kam is SOL. ZERO and I mean ZERO leverage. Shut up and play big fella.

hawk45

Reaction score
How Bennett and Kam view the Lynch thing doesn't concern me much because they don't have the leverage. I don't have an issue with Kam pointing out he's underpaid and staying away until the first game of the season if he likes. There's no way it can go anywhere, for multiple reasons, so meh.

I thought Kam was overpaid when he first signed, then he turned into the incredible hulk before our eyes and Schneider saw that before Kam himself did (otherwise Kam wouldn't have signed the deal). So...sorry Kam, the team gets to benefit from knowing your value better than you and stealing a march on your agent. That's why JS is the man. I picture JS smoking a cigar with his feet up as Kam sits in his office making a case for tearing up a deal with 3 years remaining.

I'm fervently hoping the same thing is going to happen with KJ - a guy whose contract raised my eyebrows turns into a comic book superhero. Otherwise that goes down as one of the few questionable contracts from this regime, albeit far behind the Harvin whiff and with far smaller financial implications.

Bennett is even less of a concern to me. It's not like being the QB where you need as much time as possible to sync up with receivers and get your head in the multidimensional chess match that is playing the QB position. Further, I trust JS to go out and get another Bennett if it comes to that.

Hawks46

Reaction score
What I don't get, is that these guys aren't total idiots. Wilson just got his money, Wagner needs a contract, and you get Bennett and Chancellor pulling these moves ?

Like someone said, after a Wagner deal, we're looking at roughly 1.5 million left in cap space. I don't know why someone can't sit Kam down, show him this, and ask him "where's it going to come from ? " Hell, if I was Schneider, I'd require him walk over to Wagner's locker and say "I don't care if you get a deal. My money is more important." before any contract negotiations even started. Kam is very hard to replace. That's the only leverage that he has. It drives me crazy when players sign a deal, seem happy with it, then a year later decide they're unhappy now.

Bennett has even less leverage than Kam. We literally just drafted his replacement, and he's more athletic than Bennett. If he works out, and is able to progress this year, Bennett could find his butt getting shipped to Oakland or Cleveland next year. He's going to play for the same money, in a crappier place.

12thbrah

Reaction score
Kam has 3 years left on a $28 million deal. I doubt he gets much support from anyone right now except his agent and momma.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Sometimes you have to restructure a contract there are no rules prohibiting it and almost every team does at some point. Every players contract is different so is there import to the team . NFL teams do what's in there interests to do sometimes a restructure is warranted most of the time it's not and that's that. If some of you want to believe that Kams decision is based on what happened with Lynch fine but the Seahawks will do what they think is in there best interests regardless of any perceived precedent. Personally I think Kam has earned a bump in pay but it won't happen this year I don't think.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
I think Kam and Lynch are completely separate scenarios. Lynch was threatening retirement and he meant it so the Hawks had to entice him out of it, so they moved money around. Kam is just being ridiculous and refusing to honor the deal he signed, a deal that Hawks looked foolish in because they "overpaid" for him when they wanted to reward him.

netskier

Reaction score
I would reward him next year when we know how much the cap increases.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
pmedic920":5i6c84jq said:
I love #24 but yea, giving into him last year made things tough moving forward.

Sounds like we have room to get a deal done with "Waggs" but it won't leave much for Kam.

I'm not sure we can make #31 happy. I hope he sees this FWIW, and doesn't pay many 30k fines.
Did you not read the OP or just chose to ignore it?