More imitating of Hawks procedures

seabowl

Reaction score
Watching NFL Network and they show the Chargers training camp with music blaring in the background. Guarantee that 4 years ago almost every head coach around the league would have said no way to this but now since Pete brought it to Seattle it's not only ok but a staple in many training camps. Copycat league folks.

253hawk

Reaction score
Sometimes teams take their imitation a little too far...

Saints field 518x630

SnoCoHawk

Reaction score
Huh? That doesn't even make sense. Copying the Seahawks to have a more positive and fun practice environment, sure. But there has to be some reason other than "We're pretending to actually BE the Seahawks" for those logos.

edited - I think it's joke. Here's what the real practice field looks like, Quite a bit greener, among other things:

dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls

253hawk

Reaction score
It was in prep for the divisional playoff game here. Payton is the most superstitious coach in the league.

SnoCoHawk

Reaction score
253hawk":1a0xsslz said:
It was in prep for the divisional playoff game here. Payton is the most superstitious coach in the league.

Oh, okay. I just saw the date of the Tweet. That's still pretty weird.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
SnoCoHawk":1a9cc5wo said:
Huh? That doesn't even make sense. Copying the Seahawks to have a more positive and fun practice environment, sure. But there has to be some reason other than "We're pretending to actually BE the Seahawks" for those logos.

edited - I think it's joke. Here's what the real practice field looks like, Quite a bit greener, among other things:

dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls
Is this the practice where they teach Saints players how to go after the quarterback's knees?

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Uh, 3/4s of the league is playing music during practice.

IIRC Chip Kelly was doing this at the NFL level before Carroll or was at least doing it concurrently.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2ahuu9bd said:

IIRC Chip Kelly was doing this at the NFL level before Carroll or was at least doing it concurrently.

I don't recall Chip Kelly being in the league in 2010.

chris98251

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2loquixd said:

Is this just a statement to start discord?

Pete has been blasting music since USC, his almost party type atmosphere in practice is well documented.

Tread Carefully.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
chris98251":u2b8hzbp said:
Popeyejones":u2b8hzbp said:

Is this just a statement to start discord?

Pete has been blasting music since USC, his almost party type atmosphere in practice is well documented.

Tread Carefully.
Doesn't Carroll have an actual DJ at practices?

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Other teams copy the Seahawks by:

- Sometimes wearing pads during practice, but other times not
- Watching film
- Weightlifting

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":2583jqy1 said:
Doesn't Carroll have an actual DJ at practices?
Yes. Live DJ spinning tunes at training camp and such.

I love how everyone laughed at Seattle for signing Carroll, talking about how his rah-rah style wouldn't work in the NFL, etc.

Super Bowl loss in February be damned, Seahawks fans are laughing every year all year nowadays. :D

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2sn9yx36 said:

BWAHAHAHA! PJ, you're better than that. I know it's been a rough off-season for you all, but c'mon man.

ivotuk

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":59b0mbl2 said:
rideaducati":59b0mbl2 said:
Popeyejones":59b0mbl2 said:

I don't recall Chip Kelly being in the league in 2010.

Owned. Back in your box, Popeye.

Haha! Perfect image!

[youtube]ncp9Z5AA5jg[/youtube]

HawkFan72

Reaction score
3/4s of the league is playing music at practice? In interviews, players talk about how they love the music and how loose the practices are. As late as last season ESPN and NFL Network made sure to mention the music when talking about Pete Carroll practices because it was so unique and bucked the trend.

Guess you better send them an email to let them know the rest of the league has been doing it so long, Popeye.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Sorry guys. I figured music at practice was such a trivial topic that my post wouldn't be taken as offensive.

It certainly wasn't meant to offensive or to offend anyone.

In any case, just so you guys know where I was coming from, re: 3/4s of NFL teams playing music at practice, from October of '14:

Sixteen NFL teams now pump music into their practices and another eight use a mixture of songs and the old crowd noise. Seven still use just the white noise and one team — the Rams — doesn’t use any form of noise.
http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/sid ... c-practice

As for if Chip or Pete was doing this at the NFL level first (I know college teams and college coaches have been doing it for awhile), the first I had heard of it was back in May of '13 w/ Chip Kelly at OTAs:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... -selection

and also about him doing it back at UofO: http://igglesblitz.com/2013/08/chip-kel ... e-methods/

The first time I heard about Carroll doing it was a few months later at minicamp in the big ESPN profile on how he ran the Hawks: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/95819 ... n-magazine

If he had been doing it since he came back to the NFL in 2010 though, my mistake. I guess I just hadn't heard about it and in a quick google perusal the first mention I saw of it was what I remembered from the ESPN piece above. Happy to wrong though, cuz really, it's not that big of deal IMO. I only remembered about hearing about Kelly doing it during OTAs and then seeing that Carroll was also doing at minicamp b/c I thought it was kinda neat. I seriously wasn't trying to offend or derail the thread into a bunch of people posting about me. :th2thumbs:

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2kbhtfkh said:
Sorry guys. I figured music at practice was such a trivial topic that my post wouldn't be taken as offensive.

It certainly wasn't meant to offensive or to offend anyone.

In any case, just so you guys know where I was coming from, re: 3/4s of NFL teams playing music at practice, from October of '14:

Sixteen NFL teams now pump music into their practices and another eight use a mixture of songs and the old crowd noise. Seven still use just the white noise and one team — the Rams — doesn’t use any form of noise.
http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/sid ... c-practice

As for if Chip or Pete was doing this at the NFL level first (I know college teams and college coaches have been doing it for awhile), the first I had heard of it was back in May of '13 w/ Chip Kelly at OTAs:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... -selection

and also about him doing it back at UofO: http://igglesblitz.com/2013/08/chip-kel ... e-methods/

The first time I heard about Carroll doing it was a few months later at minicamp in the big ESPN profile on how he ran the Hawks: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/95819 ... n-magazine

If he had been doing it since he came back to the NFL in 2010 though, my mistake. I guess I just hadn't heard about it and in a quick google perusal the first mention I saw of it was what I remembered from the ESPN piece above. Happy to wrong though, cuz really, it's not that big of deal IMO. I only remembered about hearing about Kelly doing it during OTAs and then seeing that Carroll was also doing at minicamp b/c I thought it was kinda neat. I seriously wasn't trying to offend or derail the thread into a bunch of people posting about me. :th2thumbs:

Oh, just admit it. You saw Hawk fans claiming yet one more thing as their own and thought you would pee on the parade just a little. But the wind was blowing the wrong way and you got yourself all wet.

This one is all Pete, though. He really did bring it from USC and made it a Seattle institution from day one. His thought is that all stadiums play music during games, so blasting it during practice is simulating gameday. And the players like it.