When players get cut during training camp

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
That's a good question. I'd guess the jersey, but not the helmet. And definitely not the playbook.
Another question I have is in regard to money. For example, free agents. Do they get paid on a per-day basis of camp, so that if they make it to the second round of cuts, they make more? And are there different rates of pay for the players during camp?

Bigbadhawk

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":zc7m2w62 said:
That's a good question. I'd guess the jersey, but not the helmet. And definitely not the playbook.
Another question I have is in regard to money. For example, free agents. Do they get paid on a per-day basis of camp, so that if they make it to the second round of cuts, they make more? And are there different rates of pay for the players during camp?

Players are paid weekly during training camp. There are 2 different pay scales for players and that is one for rookies and one for vets. I am not sure on the 2015 numbers but the 2013 I have seen from various articles mention rookies make 925$ a week and vets 1,700$ so figure a tad bit more for 2015.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Bigbadhawk":je3bi41e said:
Siouxhawk":je3bi41e said:

Players are paid weekly during training camp. There are 2 different pay scales for players and that is one for rookies and one for vets. I am not sure on the 2015 numbers but the 2013 I have seen from various articles mention rookies make 925$ a week and vets 1,700$ so figure a tad bit more for 2015.
Thanks bigbad. Do players with contracts get this money in addition to their yearly contract or does training camp figure into said contract?

Bigbadhawk

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":279nnksd said:
Bigbadhawk":279nnksd said:
Siouxhawk":279nnksd said:

Thanks bigbad. Do players with contracts get this money in addition to their yearly contract or does training camp figure into said contract?

Training camp pay is separate from their contract pay. Just like the money they make in the playoffs and super bowl is also independent of their contract During the regular season they take the money the player would make for the season, divide it by 17 (# of weeks the regular season last) and that is what they receive each week. Players can receive bonuses during other times of the year if it is written in their contract.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Bigbadhawk":3ensizpi said:
Siouxhawk":3ensizpi said:
Bigbadhawk":3ensizpi said:
Siouxhawk":3ensizpi said:

Training camp pay is separate from their contract pay. Just like the money they make in the playoffs and super bowl is also independent of their contract During the regular season they take the money the player would make for the season, divide it by 17 (# of weeks the regular season last) and that is what they receive each week. Players can receive bonuses during other times of the year if it is written in their contract.

Thanks. Good info.
Maybe they should have just paid Russell's signing bonus as part of this training camp cash and it wouldn't have counted against the cap ... :) just kidding

sutz

Reaction score
I believe pay during OTAs and Camp is considered per diem, and as such is a business expense for the team, but not considered pay for the players. Last I knew, it DOES count against the overall team salary cap and must be included in that calculation. It's one of the things that introduces little hidden costs when estimating salary cap numbers. That is always a few thousand more than just the players' salaries.