Question: I am seeing confusion on line about what Russell..

ExBassGuide

Reaction score
Some on line are saying Russell Wilson gets paid 1.5 mil plus signing bonus. I think this year is the first year of his NEW contract. Can someone enlighten me on this?

I am VERY happy Russell will be with us for years to come!
Roger

Hawks46

Reaction score
He is getting his 1.5 million salary, and 31 million in signing bonuses.

this lowers the cap hit for the Seahawks, and forwards Russell a lot of money now. Win/win. I read somewhere his cap hits are around 16-17 million per year. I'd love to know if that's true or not, if so, the Hawks crushed it on his contract.

lsheldon

Reaction score
According to Rappaport: https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/627170316763049985

Total Contract 87.6 Million
31 Million to sign

Base Salaries:

2015 - 700K
2016 - 12.34 Million
2017 - 12.6 Million
2018 - 15.5 Million
2019 - 17 Million

According to overthecap.com: http://overthecap.com/player/russell-wilson/1569/

His 2016, 2017, and $4.9 million of his 2018 salary are guaranteed for injury and will become fully guaranteed on the 5th day of the waiver period in 2016 and 2017. The total guarantee is $61.542 million.

Cap Numbers:

2015: $7,054,868
2016: $18,540,000
2017: $18,800,000
2018: $21,700,000
2019: $23,200,000

avg. $21,900,000/year

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
He actually gets 21 million now and the other 10 million next April

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
joeseahawks":3snkr1xb said:
Russell wants to become an owner. He better starts saving ...

Don't forget about his "side income". He makes money for every jersey and T-shirt with his number as well as every endorsement. He will do well in five years, but I doubt that he will become a billionaire.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Adding money to the final year of the rookie deal does not happen. What he is getting in the next year is $31 million in signing bonus. It's a pleasure to finally post this.

YwDJS8K

erik2690

Reaction score
It's a pretty good deal. His cap hits only really jump into the top 10 in 2018 and I've seen people who seem to know say that by then the team can maneuver to lessen them. But from now to 2018 his predicted cap hits are no higher than 13th in the league. And that's before several QB deals will leapfrog in the next year. I think pretty solid for both sides.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/627462433049870336[/tweet]

OP
OP
ExBassGuide

ExBassGuide

Reaction score
The more I see how the Seahawks organization does things the smarter they look especially compared to the rest of the league. I think Pete should get Coach of the year too! The whole organization is the best!
Roger

AVL

Reaction score
He's getting 700 grand plus one fifth of his signing bonus this year. The rest of it is an interest free loan from future earnings.

lsheldon

Reaction score
AVL":9d2sehc7 said:
He's getting 700 grand plus one fifth of his signing bonus this year. The rest of it is an interest free loan from future earnings.

He got 20 Million of his signing bonus paid now. The other 11 Million he gets next April. According to Clayton's podcast on August 1st at about the 1 minute mark here: http://mynorthwest.com/category/pod_pla ... ton%20Show

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
Some fans are confused as to why Russell Wilson and Bobby Wagner's contract extensions with the Seahawks, which kick in next year, are affecting the team's salary cap this season.

The news came Sunday the Seahawks released starting defensive tackle Tony McDaniel for salary cap reasons after giving Wilson a four-year, $87.6 million deal and Wagner a four-year, $43 million extension.

Both players were already under contract for 2015 and the new deals they signed are for extensions between 2016-2019.

So why should they affect the team now?

Wilson's base salary for this season remains $700,000. But he's getting a $31 million signing bonus. That bonus is spread out over FIVE years – the four additional years and this season.

Put it all together and Wilson's cap number has ballooned from a previously reported $1.6 million to just over $7 million, according to OverTheCap.com.

Wagner's deal reportedly includes an $8 million signing bonus and another $4 million option if the Seahawks don't release him next season. Wagner's cap hit for this year jumps from $1.37 million to $3 million.

By releasing McDaniel, the Seahawks get back $3 million in cap room. That brings the Seahawks to $5.4 million under the salary cap. They need that extra wiggle room in case they need to add depth down the road.

http://www.king5.com/story/sports/nfl/s ... /31055017/

LymonHawk

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":1tygz0ky said:
Some fans are confused as to why Russell Wilson and Bobby Wagner's contract extensions with the Seahawks, which kick in next year, are affecting the team's salary cap this season.

The news came Sunday the Seahawks released starting defensive tackle Tony McDaniel for salary cap reasons after giving Wilson a four-year, $87.6 million deal and Wagner a four-year, $43 million extension.

Both players were already under contract for 2015 and the new deals they signed are for extensions between 2016-2019.

So why should they affect the team now?

Wilson's base salary for this season remains $700,000. But he's getting a $31 million signing bonus. That bonus is spread out over FIVE years – the four additional years and this season.

Put it all together and Wilson's cap number has ballooned from a previously reported $1.6 million to just over $7 million, according to OverTheCap.com.

Wagner's deal reportedly includes an $8 million signing bonus and another $4 million option if the Seahawks don't release him next season. Wagner's cap hit for this year jumps from $1.37 million to $3 million.

By releasing McDaniel, the Seahawks get back $3 million in cap room. That brings the Seahawks to $5.4 million under the salary cap. They need that extra wiggle room in case they need to add depth down the road.

http://www.king5.com/story/sports/nfl/s ... /31055017/

It's good to see ya postin' again. :th2thumbs:

AVL

Reaction score
lsheldon":3199mnco said:
AVL":3199mnco said:

He got 20 Million of his signing bonus paid now. The other 11 Million he gets next April. According to Clayton's podcast on August 1st at about the 1 minute mark here: http://mynorthwest.com/category/pod_pla ... ton%20Show

I am not talking about what they are "paying" him. If he retires after this season, it's not like he gets to keep it all, so I view it as an interest free loan until he plays it out or gets cut.

He is still playing for a lot less this year, just like the rest of the 4th year contracts.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^ This.

His contract for this year is entirely unchanged.

The only wrinkle is that when you sign a new contract that's an extension the NFL allows (well, makes, I think, but could be wrong) you distribute the bonus money across the year(s) of the existing contract in addition to the new contract.

BadgerVid

Reaction score
Popeyejones":202bgwgs said:
^^^ This.

The only wrinkle is that when you sign a new contract that's an extension the NFL allows (well, makes, I think, but could be wrong) you distribute the bonus money across the year(s) of the existing contract in addition to the new contract.
Actually, it is not unchanged. He took an $800K cut in his '15 salary from $1.5M to $700K....

Popeyejones

Reaction score
BadgerVid":1iux6kbc said:
Popeyejones":1iux6kbc said:
^^^ This.

Actually, it is not unchanged. He took an $800K cut in his '15 salary from $1.5M to $700K....

I could of course be wrong about this, but I was under the impression that the 800K you're talking about was his Proven Performance Escalator under the rookie wage scale of the new CBA, which he was eligible for because he was a 3rd round (or later) pick and because he's particiapted in > 35% of the Hawks offensive plays. When he signed the extension he's no longer eligible for the PPE, so it comes back off.