Seahawks trade for CB - Mohammed Seisay

BigBird

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/627904989373952000[/tweet]

Apparently he's also SPARQ'd up as well. Seems like a perfect fit here.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/zjwhitman/status/627906013564276736[/tweet]

Spleenhawk2.0

Reaction score
Great news. He was someone I was really hoping Seattle would draft in 2014. Checks all the "Seahawk CB" boxes. When he went undrafted, I thought for sure the Seahawks would be in line to sign him after the draft

Does seem rather odd, considering our depth at CB right now, and lack of depth at Safety

BTW - his Wikipedia page already has him as a member of the Seahawks. That did not take long

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Wow it must be telling if we traded a 2016 draft pick for him, maybe they aren't liking what's going on our depth chart. With Lane being out and the rest all unproven we don't know for sure who will actually play opposite Sherman or who will take over the nickel corner.

I also like the idea to release Cary Williams if someone step up, meaning more money to free up and maybe help out with the Kam situation.

AgentDib

Reaction score
northseahawk":3oj6zm8c said:
Is Kerry Williams getting cut to save up some!
The deal Cary Williams signed includes $7 million in guarantees which match the $7 million in dead money we would have if we cut him this year. If he is not on our 46 active roster this season it will only be for performance reasons. Next year his dead money drops to $2.3 million and so salary will start to play into the picture more.

I don't think there is any mystery around this. We are adding competition to the position in the form of a guy who appears to physically fit our scheme perfectly. There is a ton of room for competition at the CB position for us when you start looking at our depth. Shead is playing safety, Tye Smith and Marcus Burley need experience, Lane and Simon have injury histories and Will Blackmon is a veteran we are taking a flier on.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
AgentDib":37mz529l said:
northseahawk":37mz529l said:
The deal Cary Williams signed includes $7 million in guarantees which match the $7 million in dead money we would have if we cut him this year. If he is not on our 46 active roster this season it will only be for performance reasons. Next year his dead money drops to $2.3 million and so salary will start to play into the picture more.

Ahh then Mohammed must be a better CB prospect than the 2016 draft that they had to have him.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
We now have a surplus of CBs. Richard Sherman, Cary Williams, Will Blackmon, Marcus Burley, and Tye Smith. Tharold Simon and Jeremy Lane are on the PUP list, but Simon is expected to play sooner rather than later. Perhaps Simon has suffered some kind of setback, and now they foresee keeping him on PUP. Obviously, they feel they need help at CB and are willing to trade for one. Seisay could be competing directly with Smith for a roster spot.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":1borxrrb said:
I also like the idea to release Cary Williams if someone step up, meaning more money to free up and maybe help out with the Kam situation.

That's a terrible idea for many reasons. :lol:

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
comPETE!

But seriously, this sounds like a good move. We will again have what? 11 picks next year so might as well unload one now for a player they think could be a fit. I'm not sure I'd read anything into the depth chart other than maybe Lane/Sirmon might take a bit longer than expected.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":32l3o6e0 said:
theincrediblesok":32l3o6e0 said:

What he said

Spleenhawk2.0

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":279idy0r said:
Wow it must be telling if we traded a 2016 draft pick for him, maybe they aren't liking what's going on our depth chart. With Lane being out and the rest all unproven we don't know for sure who will actually play opposite Sherman or who will take over the nickel corner.

It must be very telling. You do not give up a draft pick this early in camp without 1) confidence that the person you are acquiring has a very good shot at making the final 53 2) There are things going on with the CB's that we are not aware of.

If just a temp replacement for injuries, why give up a draft pick?

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Spleenhawk2.0":80669w09 said:
theincrediblesok":80669w09 said:

It must be very telling. You do not give up a draft pick this early in camp without 1) confidence that the person you are acquiring has a very good shot at making the final 53 2) There are things going on with the CB's that we are not aware of.

It's a conditional pick. We did a similar act for Keller Winslow, cut him before the season and didn't lose the pick

*Edit: thought I saw on Twitter it was a conditional pick. Can't seem to find that tweet, must have read it wrong.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":341nqq4k said:
Spleenhawk2.0":341nqq4k said:
theincrediblesok":341nqq4k said:

It's a conditional pick. We did a similar act for Keller Winslow, cut him before the season and didn't lose the pick

How do you know the pick is conditional on making the roster? Is there somewhere that has the terms of the trade?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Could see a magical injury appearing for this guy before rosters need to be at 53 so they can IR stash him too. (See Simon, Pinkins)

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":2uov299e said:
Hasselbeck":2uov299e said:
theincrediblesok":2uov299e said:

What he said

After I saw that his $7 million is guaranteed this year then yeah I agree we can't let him go, and plus i said if someone step up and looked better than Cary.

Then I thought about the Percy incident lol

I did remember Marcus Burley was in the same situation, we got him from the Colts earlier in preseason last year, it was for a 6th round pick.

Spleenhawk2.0

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":noly0bmz said:
Spleenhawk2.0":noly0bmz said:
theincrediblesok":noly0bmz said:

I have not seen any confirmation that it was a conditional pick - link?

Way different with Winslow. He was a rather known player, filling a position of need for us. I believe the team was under the impression that he would be willing to re-negotiate his salary once traded, and when he refused he was cut.

Seisay is an unknown player - an undrafted FA last season, moved from PS to active roster only part way through the season. We are deep at CB - assuming Simon and Lane are coming back sometime this season. Even without them, we have depth at the position. I guess the trade is more understandable if conditional pick is involved.....but why would Detroit trade a player this early in camp for a conditional pick? Makes no sense

kobebryant

Reaction score
northseahawk":o7ssel64 said:

Are there cap benefits to cutting Carry?

I can't imagine there would be any cap benefits to cutting him now, but I could be wrong.

Ziggyy108

Reaction score
What do you guys think about Marcus Burley.

We made a similar move to get him last offseason.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
There is no benefit i guess if his Salary is $7 million guaranteed this year but you have seen what the Hawks have done before. Matt Flynn signed big money to play, Russell beat him out. Percy Harvin on his 2nd year, they let him go. This team is not afraid to let go or not play a big money maker if he can't beat out the other person. Just my two cents.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Why is anyone talking about cutting Cary Williams? After 2 days of training camp, you think they will move on from that investment? Really? You think the Hawks are that bad at scouting personnel?

His cap hit is 4.6 million and yet he has 7 million in dead space if we were to let him go.