Douglas McNeil beat Sherman (twice) today

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Douglas McNeil indeed caught the coaching staff’s eye on Saturday. We didn’t get a chance to talk to Carroll after Saturday’s practice, so I asked him today about the performance on Saturday of receiver Douglas McNeil, who is trying to make the team as a free agent. McNeil had a couple of noticeable catches on Saturday in which his 6-3 height stood out. Said Carroll: “He’s doing stuff every day. It’s those kinds of days and those kinds of demonstrations that really make you take notice. Now we need to see the consistency from him. But he has made some big plays. Just getting started but it’s a good start for him.’’

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seah ... -and-more/

WR Douglas McNeil
McNeil not only had two of the best catches in practice, but he had them both against Richard Sherman. The first was in a 1v1 drill where McNeil got deep on Sherman and pulled in the pass despite tight coverage. The play drew oohs and ahhs from the crowd. McNeil celebrated with a little shimmy after. More impressive was a catch during team drills where he caught a pass along the sideline from Tarvaris Jackson. It came during the two-minute drill and McNeil almost stayed in bounds after the catch and tiptoed his way to the endzone, but the referee pointed to a spot where he must have barely stepped out. Again, coverage was very tight. Sherman does not get beat often in practice. I cannot remember the last time I saw him get beat twice like that.

http://www.hawkblogger.com/2015/08/seah ... .html#more

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
hawknation2015":wrkgslqj said:
Douglas McNeil indeed caught the coaching staff’s eye on Saturday. We didn’t get a chance to talk to Carroll after Saturday’s practice, so I asked him today about the performance on Saturday of receiver Douglas McNeil, who is trying to make the team as a free agent. McNeil had a couple of noticeable catches on Saturday in which his 6-3 height stood out. Said Carroll: “He’s doing stuff every day. It’s those kinds of days and those kinds of demonstrations that really make you take notice. Now we need to see the consistency from him. But he has made some big plays. Just getting started but it’s a good start for him.’’

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seah ... -and-more/

WR Douglas McNeil
McNeil not only had two of the best catches in practice, but he had them both against Richard Sherman. The first was in a 1v1 drill where McNeil got deep on Sherman and pulled in the pass despite tight coverage. The play drew oohs and ahhs from the crowd. McNeil celebrated with a little shimmy after. More impressive was a catch during team drills where he caught a pass along the sideline from Tarvaris Jackson. It came during the two-minute drill and McNeil almost stayed in bounds after the catch and tiptoed his way to the endzone, but the referee pointed to a spot where he must have barely stepped out. Again, coverage was very tight. Sherman does not get beat often in practice. I cannot remember the last time I saw him get beat twice like that.

http://www.hawkblogger.com/2015/08/seah ... .html#more

I've been very high on this dude and I feel like we need to keep him

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
hawknation2015":u0386iya said:
[youtube]o_Kf66-eYxY[/youtube]

Yup I was watching this very video last night, he's got size and speed, and the way he goes for the ball reminds me of what Matthews was able to do in the SB.

Something the commentators mentioned in the SB was when Wilson was throwing it to Matthews was that Wilson has this arch in his deep throws that give his WR a chance to make a play on the ball, it's perfect for the taller WRs. I'm excited about getting a few tall WRs in our group.

Fade

Reaction score
I'm not going to overreact yet, but I'm rooting for him to make the team.

I believe in today's game especially on the outside (and redzone) it is now basketball on grass. Give me dat size.

Imagine 22 personnel

6'7'' Jimmy
6'5'' Willson
6'5'' Matthews
6'3'' Douglas McNeil

A man can dream can't he. :179417:

*edit* sick 1 hander @:54 sec mark of vid.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
One advantage that McNeil has over Matthews is the fact that he looks faster and seems to be a more fluid runner. Matthews was timed with a 4.57 40 at his Pro Day, while McNeil was a 1/10 faster with a 4.47 seconds at a regional combine. McNeil is in the first year of his three-year rookie deal, while Matthews is in his last year, although the Seahawks would retain his exclusive rights in 2016.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Fade":er2ns0jh said:

I believe in today's game especially on the outside (and redzone) it is now basketball on grass. Give me dat size.

Imagine 22 personnel

6'7'' Jimmy
6'5'' Willson
6'5'' Matthews
6'3'' Douglas McNeil

I'm having this same dream man......is it preseason yet?

HawkFan72

Reaction score
HOLLYWOOD":20aszxvt said:
Hopefully this isn't Sherm slipping.. for some reason Sherm getting beat twice by an unknown causes more concern than optimism.

Do you think Sherman shuts down every receiver in practice 100% of the time?

Reports of him getting beat in practice are not new. The fact that it gets reported at all tells you how good he is. It's news when he gets beat.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
HOLLYWOOD":1umbrj33 said:
Hopefully this isn't Sherm slipping.. for some reason Sherm getting beat twice by an unknown causes more concern than optimism.
I'm dubious on the nature of Sherm actually getting "beat." The first play was even described as "tight coverage" from Sherm on a deep route, which leads me to believe the greatness in that play came more in the form of the pass than the catch (taking nothing away from McNeil).

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Fade":1vcz146v said:

Imagine 22 personnel

6'7'' Jimmy
6'5'' Willson
6'5'' Matthews
6'3'' Douglas McNeil

The best WR in football is a 5-10 guy. Size isn't everything... Matthews showed a glimpse in the Super Bowl, but a lot of that was sheer mismatch.

Would obviously be great if Matthews and McNeil (or a Kasen Williams, or someone else who has size) .. panned out and came out of nowhere to produce. I would just not bank on it happening. I think Lockett is much more likely to make a big impact on the offense than the tall guys fighting to make the team.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
HOLLYWOOD":1dj60nwt said:

Keep in mind it's what.. day 3 of camp? And no #31 back there too.

Nothing to worry about

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
HOLLYWOOD":1mq5a2sv said:
[vine]OrLjaBdPHt3[/vine]

Words of wisdom.

HOLLYWOOD

Reaction score
Just keeping an eye on General Sherman gentleman, injury wise. I wouldn't trade him for any CB in the league. Given our recent LOB injuries, I'm going to be very interested in how they perform in the their returns.

McGruff

Reaction score
Fade":27v3rfwh said:

Imagine 22 personnel

6'7'' Jimmy
6'5'' Willson
6'5'' Matthews
6'3'' Douglas McNeil

To be honest I am more enamored with a 3 wide set of Baldwin, Lockett and Richardson. Guys who can reliably get quick separation and run after the catch. As the league copies us and moves towards big corners, our smurfs can tie them in knots.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":jj09u71e said:
HOLLYWOOD":jj09u71e said:

Nothing to worry about

Are they even in pads yet?

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
Basis4day":1dst63mk said:
Hasselbeck":1dst63mk said:
HOLLYWOOD":1dst63mk said:

Nothing to worry about

Are they even in pads yet?

They practiced in pads yesterday and #17 (Kevin Smith? Washington)caught every ball thrown his way. I thought he stood out.

sutz

Reaction score
HOLLYWOOD":2ybzuevl said:
Just keeping an eye on General Sherman gentleman, injury wise. I wouldn't trade him for any CB in the league. Given our recent LOB injuries, I'm going to be very interested in how they preform in the their returns.
Yeah, consideering LoB injuries were a big part of losing XLIX, I share your interest in how well they do this year.

But I'm hardly worried about the 3rd day of camp, and playing against a rook with no film and no work against is a challenge in itself. I'm happy for the rook for making tough catches and I hope he continues. In many ways, Sherm might be the best corner he plays against all year. Sherman doesn't like to get beat, he'll get back at the kid.

:)