Wagner's contract structure released

vonstout

Reaction score
He'll have to restructure before the 2018 season. They can't afford cap hits over $13.5 M. It looks more like a two year extension.

McGruff

Reaction score
The way things are going lately he'll be demanding a new contract in 2017 anyway.

Hawks46

Reaction score
McGruff":1sonhuxa said:
The way things are going lately he'll be demanding a new contract in 2017 anyway.

Good call. I've honestly never seen anything like it. Almost all of the guys have multiple years on their contracts, it's not like they're in the last year.

mikeak

Reaction score
vonstout":t17q7xuc said:
He'll have to restructure before the 2018 season. They can't afford cap hits over $13.5 M. It looks more like a two year extension.
1) those may be small cap hits with the increase coming in the team cap

2) Last year can be waived with pretty small dead cap

3) Iam now seeing a change in the contracts. Many prior contracts had more of a bell shaped curve while the norm in NFL is high values towards the end. The Seahawks have used up their cap space now and are going to more normal contracts with high dollars at the end that can be waived.

I expect that we see some conversions next year with salaries changed to signing bonuses. Hopefully they don't need much of this as it leads to issues down the road

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":3u97ws79 said:
Hasselbeck":3u97ws79 said:
It's pretty affordable 2015-2017.. then hits some big time cap numbers in 18 and 19.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/seahawks-anal ... -structure

My favorite thing about this is how, at least on my screen, the url was rendered as "http://www.fieldgulls.com/seahawks-anal...structure". That's all. I didn't even read the article.

Lies. We know you clicked faster. 8)

kearly

Reaction score
If the Hawks cut Wagner in 2018, then this deal is basically for 3 years, $21 million (he would accumulate $15.8 million in cap hits by then, plus the Hawks would have to eat an additional $5.2 million to make him go away).

Had he not signed a deal, he would have made about $1 million this year, which means that even in the '3 years and cut scenario' he'd still be earning $20 million over 2 years in new money. That's a lot better than I would have guessed considering how insanely backloaded the deal looks at first glance.

So even if they cut Wagner in 2018 to avoid those big cap hits, it's still a fair deal from Wagner's perspective.

mikeak

Reaction score
You will cut him after 2018 season or likelier renegotiate then. $10M base salary then but $2.6M dead cap

You won't cut him him sooner

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
WOW,

Team friendy yet also caters well to the player.

Wagner is 25 years old. His contract ends his age 29 season.

LBers are alot like RBs in the sense that a majority dont survive past 28 as full-time starters.

Seahawks have complete control in Wagner's last two years. A May 10th cut splits that 5.2m across two years. So cap savings become 11m in 2018 and 11.5m in 2019. 22.5 m altogether.

However, the counter argument against an automatic release or restructure isnt so simple.

If Bobby Wagner puts in 3 All-Pro seasons from 15-17 and stays relatively healthy, Seahawks should be able to gamble on that age 28 season.

1. There isnt that many players under contract after 2017.

2. If you theorhetically projected that the cap would increase 5% every year by 2019 you're looking at 174 m of projected space. Which isnt that far fetched with yearly bumps going up between 7-8m per year.

I've seen some projections as high as 190m.

Conclusively, either way its a great deal for both sides. Wagner gets paid pretty well but really nothing over the top like his new money aav of 10.75 suggests in the first 3 years. And if he balls out like an elite performer, Seahawks likely could take on his year 4 cap hit, if not shiny but broken then they got complete advantage as far dead cap leverage goes.

chris98251

Reaction score
I don't think we keep many players over the 30 to 31 mark on any new long contracts, stop gap yes but that's it. Wilson as a QB would be the exception if he keeps his legs.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Middle Backers, even the best ones, have some pretty short shelf lives. Lofa anyone? Willis?

So I get why the structure is just the way it is.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
I think the structure makes sense for the Hawks. It's a good deal. If you're having success you want to ride it, and any cap flexibility they can get in the next two years is good for them, particularly with all the Tier 2 starters they have hitting FA next year.