Kristjan Sokoli moving to guard

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Kristjan Sokoli is now a guard — and might get into the competition there quickly. On Sunday, coach Pete Carroll said it might be time to start winnowing down the competition at center after saying that if the team had to play a game today, Lemuel Jeanpierre would get the start. On Monday, one of the backup centers — rookie Kristjan Sokoli — was playing left guard.

Sokoli, though, wasn’t just playing guard but doing so with the first unit throughout practice to see what he could do. Alvin Bailey has been running as the starting left guard, a spot that is open after James Carpenter signed with the Jets in the off-season. OL coach Tom Cable said after practice the team wants to make sure Bailey earns the job. “We’re going to create competition for him,’’ Cable said. “Kristjan Sokoli has shown, a lot like J.R. (Sweezy) three years ago, that he has a real knack for playing this game. He has to understand that he’s going to have failures and to not let it get him down or not struggle with those emotionally. Just put it behind him, learn from it and move to the next one. But he’s really talented. We have a number of guys I think who are going to challenge Alvin for that spot.”

Asked how Sokoli did in his first time at guard, Cable said: “He did fine. He had some failures, but then on top of that, the goods were like, Wow. That’s pretty cool.” Sokoli was a sixth-round pick who played defensive line at Buffalo, but like Sweezy three years ago, is being moved to the offensive line.

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seah ... -and-more/

Fade

Reaction score
Good to see, i didn't like Sokoli buried behind 3 centers on the depth chart. He needs reps to speed up his learning curve.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
If SPARQ is any indication, this kid is going to be one hell of an interior lineman.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
McGruff":2uooezlk said:
The staff is already giving up. What a waste of a pick.

This isn't giving up. IMO, this is what they should have done all along. You don't take a defensive lineman, and throw him straight into the deep end to learn how to snap the ball and make line calls, and think he's going to be immediately successful.

Sokoli is one of the best athletes in the game, and has all the tools to be successful at guard, as Sweezy has been. For a late 6th Round pick, I don't know how you could call that a waste.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
McGruff":28tvyqum said:

470x268px-LL-3d581886_will-smith-men-in-black-3-470x268.jpeg

HawkFan72

Reaction score
McGruff":3fdzwne5 said:

Were coaches giving up when they started Unger at Guard his first year too?

Sometimes it's better to put a player where they will have more time on the field so they can get more experience.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2lr9yrno said:
McGruff":2lr9yrno said:

Were coaches giving up when they started Unger at Guard his first year too?

Sometimes it's better to put a player where they will have more time on the field so they can get more experience.

Once he adjusts to learning how to block as a guard, probably on the practice squad, I wouldn't be surprised to see them shift Sokoli back to center next year -- particularly if they move on from Jeanpierre after this year. Look how well Nowak has adjusted to playing center after gaining a year of experience on the practice squad.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
McGruff":2qd0p01b said:
Just a ridiculous post. But then again, it is mcgruff

titan3131

Reaction score
Remember our oline success has came from having guys that can play multiple positions.

All this means is they want him to get more snaps.

Bailey has played rt, lg and lt he more then likely is number 2 lt.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
Something tells me the Hawks won't be able to get this guy stashed on the practice squad. I expect him to be one of the 9-10 linemen we keep.

Dismas

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3ha6zc46 said:
McGruff":3ha6zc46 said:

This isn't giving up. IMO, this is what they should have done all along. You don't take a defensive lineman, and throw him straight into the deep end to learn how to snap the ball and make line calls, and think he's going to be immediately successful.

Sokoli is one of the best athletes in the game, and has all the tools to be successful at guard, as Sweezy has been. For a late 6th Round pick, I don't know how you could call that a waste.

Perhaps I'm a rube, but McGruffs post reeked of sarcasm to me.

and really, on the interwebs, if someone posts something oddball like that, isn't it less stressful to just assume they forgot the sarcasm emoji?

olyfan63

Reaction score
McGruff":ekna59i6 said:
Hawkfan77":ekna59i6 said:
McGruff":ekna59i6 said:

Yeah. I am such an extremist.

What's amusing is that so many people took your sarcasm so seriously.

Yeah, at center, a waste of a pick. Guard, let's make it simpler for the kid, cuz we love his athleticism and work habits, and give him the best chance to be successful. So many different meanings that can be "read into" any particular coaching move.

I tend to think guard was the initial plan all along, and the cup of coffee at center (MLB term) was just to prep him for maybe seasons 2/3. Pete's a big learning theory geek, and this sequence of moves smacks of a lot of the educational theory described in the book, "Make It Stick: The Science of Successful Learning", stuff I'm sure Carroll is all over. I suspect Center is the long-term hope they have for him.

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
olyfan63":1zo3bvmv said:
McGruff":1zo3bvmv said:
Hawkfan77":1zo3bvmv said:
McGruff":1zo3bvmv said:

Yeah. I am such an extremist.

What's amusing is that so many people took your sarcasm so seriously.

Yeah, at center, a waste of a pick. Guard, let's make it simpler for the kid, cuz we love his athleticism and work habits, and give him the best chance to be successful. So many different meanings that can be "read into" any particular coaching move.

I tend to think guard was the initial plan all along, and the cup of coffee at center (MLB term) was just to prep him for maybe seasons 2/3. Pete's a big learning theory geek, and this sequence of moves smacks of a lot of the educational theory described in the book, "Make It Stick: The Science of Successful Learning", stuff I'm sure Carroll is all over. I suspect Center is the long-term hope they have for him.

Load him up in the offseason, when you can really focus on details, learning the trade, etc. Center, and all the protection calls make it a very cerebral position. Have to know where everyone's going on every play then hike the ball. Once you get to the season, simplify. Make him responsible for one thing and let someone else worry about the thinking, allowing him to (hopefully) play faster. Makes a ton of sense to me.

chris98251

Reaction score
Guy switching sides of the ball expecting to learn the offense, how to block, how to snap the ball, pass protect and also make the line calls and protection calls as a rookie. Fact that even tried him there speaks volumes to what they think he can do.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Dismas":23d81sa2 said:
hawknation2015":23d81sa2 said:
McGruff":23d81sa2 said:

Perhaps I'm a rube, but McGruffs post reeked of sarcasm to me.

and really, on the interwebs, if someone posts something oddball like that, isn't it less stressful to just assume they forgot the sarcasm emoji?

Even if it was, I enjoy the conversation that different viewpoints can provoke.

From what I have heard, Sokoli has struggled a little more than expected at the center position, although most knew such a difficult transition would be somewhat of a struggle for him. It will be interesting to see how he embraces his new position, whether he finds a way to make the roster, whether he makes it to the practice squad, etc. He's such a unique athlete that it's worth being patient.

Sac

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":duj80jcr said:
McGruff":duj80jcr said:
Hey man, at least half of .net is overly reactionary and lean toward the negative. Reminds me of my ex.

kearly

Reaction score
I always thought it was a lot to ask of a foreign born defensive tackle with zero OL experience to convert to center immediately. Guard is much more reasonable, and as was pointed out already, the team started Unger at guard before switching him back to center later.

This now means that Seattle basically drafted 3 guards this year. But whatever, it wasn't like Seattle banked on going 3/3 with those picks anyway, so I don't see much harm in overloading one spot.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
kearly":mxrnl7q8 said:
I always thought it was a lot to ask of a foreign born defensive tackle with zero OL experience to convert to center immediately. Guard is much more reasonable, and as was pointed out already, the team started Unger at guard before switching him back to center later.

This now means that Seattle basically drafted 3 guards this year. But whatever, it wasn't like Seattle banked on going 3/3 with those picks anyway, so I don't see much harm in overloading one spot.

Glowinski has also played some OT, and of course, they could move Sokoli back to center next year after he has gained a year of experience.