Wilson's agent, "He took less so Seahawks could keep Wagner"

gowazzu02

Reaction score
I dont believe a word out of any agenst mouth, let alone this guy.

Giblien

Reaction score
Honestly, I believe it (about Wagner). Russ wants to win...BADLY. If I'm him, I don't mind taking a million or two a year less to keep Wagz on the team. How many of us, given that our financial future would be VERY secure, wouldn't be willing to take a 10% pay cut for a much greater chance of professional success?

OP
OP
lukerguy

lukerguy

Reaction score
I tend to agree. If Wilson left money on the table, then why did he wait until the 11th hour to sign?

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
I think it's easy to spin the narrative that way after the deal is done and thus pretty meaningless.

netskier

Reaction score
Probably took some of that time to decide whether our not to keep McDaniel too.

Wagner might also have thought about this.

netskier

Reaction score
It is a calculus problem, with as yet insufficient data to solve it. Trading off local maxima against the global maximum.

AgentDib

Reaction score
After the fact, Sports Agent claims he could have got client more money, but client was selfless and only wanted to help his team and so he agreed to less.

lobohawk

Reaction score
Seems funny to watch people default to the agent-as-an-ass view.

Must mean Russell's an ass or stupid, as his agent is actually a close friend and the father of one of his best friends. Could it be that the agent is pretty straightforward? Seems people are still unknotting their bunched undies following the contract negotiations (i.e. fans taking the long effort personally).

StoneCold

Reaction score
If you don't believe the agent on this you're calling Russell a liar. Do you believe that Russ won't be asked to confirm Rodgers assertion?

SC

NorCalSeahawk

Reaction score
I'm sure Wilson could have squeezed a few more buck out of the team, but I'm not sure why agents (or players for that matter) feel the need to poke and prod fans and media after the fact. The deal Wilson got was perfectly fair (in football terms), now if I'm a player (Wilson) I would expect my agent to keep my personal info out of the media, end of story.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Russell signed a "fair" contract that was in line with his actual worth.

What Rodgers is saying is he was pushing Russell to play hardball and to make the situation messy, and Russell wasn't willing to do that. It's too bad that the process was not completed two months ago, when Newton's contract was done, as the time in between hurt his reputation and made Russell appear greedy. If he had stuck with Bus Cook, I am betting this contract would have been accomplished more quickly, without all the drama, insurance policies, agent bluster, issue statements, etc.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1f04zscb said:
Russell signed a "fair" contract that was in line with his actual worth.

What Rodgers is saying is he was pushing Russell to play hardball and to make the situation messy, and Russell wasn't willing to do that. It's too bad that the process was not completed two months ago, when Newton's contract was done, as the time in between hurt his reputation and made Russell appear greedy. If he had stuck with Bus Cook, I am betting this contract would have been accomplished more quickly, without all the drama, insurance policies, agent bluster, issue statements, etc.

I bet Mark Rodgers was a bit peeved his client didn't push the envelope and try to force his way to free agency, since that's what he does to baseball teams all the time

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I think the offer was the offer. Russell only took "less" in the sense that he signed this offseason rather than push himself toward free agency. He is getting handsomly paid -- a deal that pays him more NEW MONEY in the first three years than any player in NFL history. I don't think he could've pushed Seattle for much more this offseason.