What is the reason. . .

Narniaman

Reaction score
that the NFL starts training camps (rookies and veterans). . . on different dates?

This year the Seahawks, of course, started on Friday, July 31.

The Vikings and the Steelers reported first. . .both teams reported on July 25 -- a Saturday. That's understandable since they play in the Hall of Fame game on August 9, which is a week ahead of when everyone else start playing.

But the other teams start practice anywhere between July 29 (a Wednesday) and August 2 (a Sunday).

Why not just have everyone start the same day?

sutz

Reaction score
Pretty sure it's up to the teams, and would depend on any number of things like their pre-season schedule-as you noted-availability of facilities (not all teams do TC at home), local traffic issues. Who knows? But the league only controls the number of days they can practice, not which ones.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
I'be assumed it's because some teams wait on rookie mini-camp until July rather than doing it earlier. I should actually check whether this is correct.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Narniaman":1i62l5by said:
that the NFL starts training camps (rookies and veterans). . . on different dates?

This year the Seahawks, of course, started on Friday, July 31.

The Vikings and the Steelers reported first. . .both teams reported on July 25 -- a Saturday. That's understandable since they play in the Hall of Fame game on August 9, which is a week ahead of when everyone else start playing.

But the other teams start practice anywhere between July 29 (a Wednesday) and August 2 (a Sunday).

Training camp can't start earlier than 2 weeks before the first pre season game, so teams start camp 2 weeks before their first game. That explains the difference in start days by team.

The veteran/rookie thing is something I've never really thought about. Different teams seem to handle it different ways. It may have more to do with how coaches handle rookies and vets more than anything else, but his is merely my assumption and not based on anything I've read or heard.

chris98251

Reaction score
I think the Rookie Vet thing is about Oreintation, schdules expectations etc, yeah they have them in for OTA's and all but they are not signed a lot of times and particapating in things. Once under contract , well the difference between interviewing and getting the job, everything is peaches in cream till you start earning the paycheck.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
What is the reason some people choose not to make a descriptive thread title?

Narniaman":b3k234ju said:
You are talking about 32 different business with 32 different business models. The league makes the game schedule, and the CBA governs how much on-field practice time they get. It's not the league's job to dictate an individual team's practice schedule.

Latest posts