Schneider- Recoup Kam's signing bonus because of holdout?

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
EDIT: Saw this on the twittersphere, and didn't want to start another thread.
[tweet]https://twitter.com/corryjoel/status/628921306147221504[/tweet]

https://soundcloud.com/siriusxmnfl/john-schneider-isnt-sure-if-kam-chancellor-will-show-up

http://chawktalk.com/2015/08/05/schneider-doesnt-sound-interested-in-adjusting-chancellors-deal/

Schneider said it’s tough because of the personal feelings he and the franchise have for Chancellor, but the Hawks “have to continue to conduct business the way we always have.”

“We all love Kam. He’s a phenomenal football player, obviously a key core player in what we’re doing here defensively,” Schneider said. “We all miss him. It’s a bummer for everybody involved in the situation.

“It’s personal because you love a guy so much and you have so much emotional and personal feelings for the player. At the end of the day, you have to stick to your plan and your principle. That’s what has to guide you rather than (personal feelings).

“It’s about the team. It’s the ultimate team sport,” Schneider continued. “In order for us to be a consistent championship-caliber team that we’ve been preaching ever since we got here, we have to continue to conduct business the way we always have.”

Schneider said there is no “animosity” between the team and Chancellor, and he said he has talked with the safety and his agent. He also said he does not know whether the player will report.

JAGHAWK

Reaction score
That's all you can do. One guy can't force them to break the master plan. Stick to the plan and they'll be alright.

andyh64000

Reaction score
They probably need to throw him a bone though...maybe guarantee next year's salary or convert a couple million of it into a bonus for this season.

seahawks08

Reaction score
If Kam is not happy, we will lose some of our hard hitting identity. I don't think unhappy players perform at a high level with no motivation. The way he hits, he realizes his shelf live could be at question and realizes after this contract, he may not be worth another mega deal. I don't blame the guy and I hope the FO makes some adjustments without hurting cap space.

SeaChase

Reaction score
Getting about tired of all these players not happy with the current millions they are making. You're like on year two of your of your 4 year contract that you signed. Maybe you should have thought about this a year ago ...

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
If he really wants to get something done he better come in.

Regardless, I believe that Pete and John will toe the line on this one.

They can't cave.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
C'mon Kam, get yourself to camp.... I honestly don't think you're going to win this battle. :cry:

You still have $16,870,000 or so of earning potential on your contract for the next 3 years. That's not chump change!

Ask your old buddy Sidney Rice about buying some restaurant franchises, ask Russell about collecting a bunch of endorsement deals! You're obviously hugely popular. You got the cash to make even more cash! Takes money to make money! You don't have to rely on game checks to get even richer at this point.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
SeaChase":28vlcx9y said:
Getting about tired of all these players not happy with the current millions they are making. You're like on year two of your of your 4 year contract that you signed. Maybe you should have thought about this a year ago ...
I just roll my eyes at the people who think players should honor their contracts when the team never has to be held to the same standard. The team can terminate their contract with the player at any time.

Obviously, the player can terminate his contract with the team at any time as well.

rideaducati

Reaction score
I would let him and the rest of the team know that the front office WILL NOT NEGOTIATE with players that are not in camp.

Kennedyin92

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":1sd2qdls said:
SeaChase":1sd2qdls said:
I just roll my eyes at the people who think players should honor their contracts when the team never has to be held to the same standard. The team can terminate their contract with the player at any time.

Obviously, the player can terminate his contract with the team at any time as well.

I just roll my eyes at people who think that the players are actually worth more than the millions they're already earning.

SnoCoHawk

Reaction score
rideaducati":4fji9ut0 said:
I would let him and the rest of the team know that the front office WILL NOT NEGOTIATE with players that are not in camp.

...unless your name is Marshawn Lynch. He held out for 8 days of camp, got more money and had $500k worth of fines waived. A bad precedent to set.

Cartire

Reaction score
How about not assuming in the topic title.

He doesnt say they arent going to adjust. He says they have to conduct business like they do. IF I remember correctly, it seems that Lynch sure got an adjustment last year. So you cant say that their business doesnt include adjusting contracts.

I dont think they give a raise. I wouldnt be surprised if they just guaranteed more.

ivotuk

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":rlxqmtyi said:
SeaChase":rlxqmtyi said:

Why do you roll your eyes? What contracts do teams not honor?

I mean, do you really believe that a player thinks when he signs a contract that he's going to get anything beyond the guarantees? Players can't count on money beyond the guarantees.

Every player knows that, that's the reason guarantees and signing bonuses are so high. What about all that money that Kam has already collected? I don't see John asking for any of that back. I don't see Schneider trying to get game checks back for games where Kam was unavailable.

What about players like Percy Harvin who get all those guarantees then don't honor their contract by playing up to their abilities?

Don't roll your eyes. Players are smarter than to let teams screw them out of guaranteed money. And even if they could, I doubt you'd see John Schneider and Pete Carroll trying to take money back that they promised. They're not like that.

ivotuk

Reaction score
This is a great perspective on the deal because players look at the right now, and don't include the big signing bonus they got when they signed the contract. But that signing bonus is spread out over he years, so even though he will "only" collect 4.55 million this year, his actual salary for this year is bigger than that when you apply the portion of the signing bonus meant for 2015.

"Former agent Joel Corry told PI.com that Chancellor is using an apples-to-oranges comparison because he is still very highly paid for a strong safety and free safeties (such as teammate Earl Thomas) typically are paid more.

Corry also said Chancellor has fallen into the trap of judging his deal as a one-year contract. “… Players seem to get amnesia and only focus on their salary at that particular year, as opposed to looking at the deal in its totality.”"

NINEster

Reaction score
seahawks08":v40dt61p said:
If Kam is not happy, we will lose some of our hard hitting identity. I don't think unhappy players perform at a high level with no motivation. The way he hits, he realizes his shelf live could be at question and realizes after this contract, he may not be worth another mega deal. I don't blame the guy and I hope the FO makes some adjustments without hurting cap space.

I see it the other way.

Kam will play so hard to prove himself this season that people will forget Ronnie Lott ever played in this league.

A good thing the niners drafted a TE to replace Vernon after he dies in century link this year.

NINEster

Reaction score
Kap chilled with Kam in the club just to get close to a ring.

Does PC/JS not see the mental affect this has on a rival?

And they treat the 2nd best defender on the team (Bobby is #1) like he's expendable.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
Kam should probably get a job working construction in Seattle. He could make 50k a year, save his body from car collisions and watch the Seahawks play on TV.

I don't see this going anywhere. I can't feel empathy for people who have the good fortune to play professional football and take it for granted. The time to negotiate is in the last year of your contract, not now.

sutz

Reaction score
NINEster":3cunlw3r said:
Kap chilled with Kam in the club just to get close to a ring.

Does PC/JS not see the mental affect this has on a rival?

And they treat the 2nd best defender on the team (Bobby is #1) like he's expendable.
Kam isn't the 2nd best defender, Wags is. Earl is #1. ;)