Seahawks Cap Space -- Edit: Kam Off Books during holdout.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
According to NFLPA public reports -- the Seahawks have a little over $8.9M before factoring Wagner's extension. After the Wilson extension they had about $3.9M. So they gained about $5M in cap space. We know they gained about $3M from cutting McDaniel (Really about $2.5M factoring the top 51), so there's about another $2.5M that has been gained.

This could have something to do with Kam, or it could be another player has taken a restruture. Hopefully someone connected to such things will report about it. $2.5M is a lot of dough to go unreported in the media.

**edit** see below. It is Kam.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Could that be our injuries??? et al People on IR??

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Injuries wouldn't change the cap at this point -- and 2014 rollovers are factored in at the beginning of the league year in March.

Some of it could be changes to off-season workout bonus calculations, but that wouldn't amount to $2.5M.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":2vxoen2y said:
Injuries wouldn't change the cap at this point -- and 2014 rollovers are factored in at the beginning of the league year in March.

Some of it could be changes to off-season workout bonus calculations, but that wouldn't amount to $2.5M.

I have it estimated at an extra $2 million more than reported contracts account for, but I always figure there's between half a million and a million dollar variance in my estimates anyway.

There is definitely something that has happened behind the scenes, but looking through reported contracts, I just can't see it.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
So there was enough cap space to keep McDaniel...

Supernatural Dean

Guess they really believe in Rubin.

McGruff

Reaction score
Rubin, Hill, Clark, Dobbs and even the perennial tease that is Greg Scruggs.

We have to remind ourselves that while we love our players for what they have done, sometimes a journeyman in his mid thirties is just that.

kidhawk

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":1w04dhxk said:
So there was enough cap space to keep McDaniel...

Supernatural Dean

Guess they really believe in Rubin.

I think it's a combination of factors. They do seem to be quite high on Rubin, but Schneider has our salary cap mapped out for years to come. It's the main reason we have been able to keep most of our core together. That plan hasn't really changed. Nobody knows for sure (outside the organization) just what the plan is, but whatever it is, he manages the cap to fit that future and if it means cutting players to save cap space even though we have the space, he does it.

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Joel Curry replied to my question: He said Kam's salary is off the books during the holdout. Probably the $8.9M figure does include Wagner's extension then.

The money goes away assuming Kam returns at some point.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I've done a little digging and I noticed that spotrac and overthecap have us over $2 million different right now.

Spotrac - $142,951,687.00

Overthecap - $145,171,453.00

Comparing the two sites, and it appears that the differences are mostly in the listed dead monies.

Spotrac has McDaniel's dead money at $625,000.00

Overthecap has McDaniel listed at $3,000,000.00

There are also a few minor ones that are listed on spotrac that aren't listed on overthecap, such as Alex Singleton & Jimmy LeGree, and for some reason spotrac has Mike Taylor listed twice.

Spotrac shows us at $5,306,051.00 under the cap while overthecap has us at $3,086,285.00 under the cap. That is a difference of $2,219,766.00

I think both are off, but it seems that overthecap miscalculated McDaniels Dead money and that is the basic difference between the two sites.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Either way both sites seem to be count Kam as part of the cap.

I say anywhere from 3-5m is about the target reserve coffers you'd save just in case for injury.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":1cplgmyz said:
Either way both sites seem to be count Kam as part of the cap.

I say anywhere from 3-5m is about the target reserve coffers you'd save just in case for injury.

Even though some experts may quote the legal technical cap space, for realistic purposes, leaving Kam's money in makes the most sense from our perspective. With that said, and counting Kam's contract, we have about $5 million in cap space before we make any other moves. $2 million is generally a fair amount to keep in reserve for injuries and such, but John's MO has been to keep even more and roll over the extra

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Looking at Kam's contract, I really don't know what they could do to make him happy save for ripping up his deal.........which ain't happening.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seah ... hancellor/

Marshawn had bonus money they turned into guaranteed money for 2014, there's not a lot of that left on Kam's deal......save for the 325k roster bonus in 2017. Doubt highly that would make Kam happy getting now.

Latest posts