The competition at center is heating up

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Working at center with the first-team offense was Drew Nowak, the 6-foot-3, 292-pound fourth-year pro who originally entered the League as a defensive tackle for the Jacksonville Jaguars. Nowak has been competing alongside veteran center Lemuel Jeanpierre, who started three games for the Seahawks last year in place of an injured Max Unger. In the early stages of camp, Carroll said Jeanpierre would be the starting center if the team were to play a game right now, but that thought process has changed.

"That was earlier," Carroll said. "Drew Nowak is doing a really good job right now. Drew's getting a great shot to show us how he fits together with it. Like we said, that was a real key spot for competition, and that's on. Drew has been doing a good job. He's come a long way. He's another guy who's come from the other side of the ball just a year ago, so he needs every snap to show he's understanding and he can communicate and all that. But the indications are really good. He's really strong and he's shown really good smarts, so we'll see what happens."

Left guard in the first-team offense belonged to Alvin Bailey after rookie Kristjan Sokoli saw plenty of work there in recent training camp practices. Rookie Mark Glowinski was the first to back up Bailey at the spot.

http://www.seahawks.com/news/2015/08/08 ... -mock-game

rm8_9756-2.jpg

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Just as long as they snap the ball in a timely manner without ground the ball.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Bobblehead":2m015hhq said:
Just as long as they snap the ball in a timely manner without ground the ball.

Jeanpierre has been pretty consistent at snapping the ball. I can't remember many fumbles from him over the last four years. So if Nowak is turning the corner in this competition, because he gives them more upside and maybe a better run blocker, then I'm all for it.

:snack:

Also interesting to hear Carroll's take on the burgeoning competition at left guard:

Carroll said the team wants to give Glowisnki a shot on the left side, where the starter is Alvin Bailey (who worked with the first team throughout after Kristjan Sokoli had worked there some during the week) and see what he can do. Asked later if it’s possible the team could play a rookie on the OL this year, Carroll said yes. “Anything could happen a month from now with four games coming up and all that, so we’ll see what happens. Done it before so you know we could do it again.”

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seah ... -and-more/

SeatownJay

Reaction score
As long as we have a center that consistently hit Russ in the belly button on shotgun snaps instead of always being 2-3 feet to the side, I'll be happy.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
SeatownJay":18q29zip said:
As long as we have a center that consistently hit Russ in the belly button on shotgun snaps instead of always being 2-3 feet to the side, I'll be happy.

So making the right line calls and protecting against interior pressure isn't important?

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1qkh32n4 said:
SeatownJay":1qkh32n4 said:

So making the right line calls and protecting against interior pressure isn't important?

Now...you know good and well that Pete would say that this position has to have a "complete package" ...he has to do it all well. No player is perfect on every hike of the ball, so Pete is going to see who can be the best four Pre-season games from now. You know that he does this to bring out the best in each player.

rideaducati

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1hti74s1 said:
SeatownJay":1hti74s1 said:

It hasn't helped much in the previous few seasons has it?

Bobblehead

Reaction score
If you think about it, Russell gets almost two secs. if he gets the snap correctly. 1 sec to retrieve the errant ball, almost another to rescan the field for receivers.

Poor Bree's is going to find out very shortly.

Seafan

Reaction score
Bailey, Nowak and Sweezy are going to be a very physical interior for this offense. I expect the OL performance to be improved over last season. Looking forward to seeing them in action

scutterhawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":hb2bu0uo said:
SeatownJay":hb2bu0uo said:

I believe it is, but you got to be able to walk and chew the cud at the same time, hell, cows do it all the time :16:

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Bobblehead":19a0iaek said:
Poor Bree's is going to find out very shortly.
Nahh, they'll just have him wear a catchers mitt. :lol:

McGruff

Reaction score
Center and now LG . . . They have plugged both Sokoli and now Glowinski into the mix to start there. That may be more an indictment of Bailey than an endorsement of the rookies.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
McGruff":3bn0dpws said:
Center and now LG . . . They have plugged both Sokoli and now Glowinski into the mix to start there. That may be more an indictment of Bailey than an endorsement of the rookies.

Sounds more like trying everybody at different positions to see who is the best where and who can play different spots. Remember, there is more at stake than just the 2 starting spots open. We also need to find the best backups for all the line positions.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Seafan":36dz28zl said:
Bailey, Nowak and Sweezy are going to be a very physical interior for this offense. I expect the OL performance to be improved over last season. Looking forward to seeing them in action

Glowinski had very little chance of beating Sweez, but he's got a crack at beating Bailey. I won't be surprised if he does.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
So where is Lewis likely fitting into the mix?

I thought he was at least solid last year, considering the situation.

c_hawkbob

Reaction score
I wouldn't attach too much significance to who is lining up with the first team at this point. The young converts from the other side of the ball are necessarily going to get time just to see how they are adapting to the position. Come closer to the regular I season I think we'll see more of Lem.

Alexander

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":2vck0bmv said:
So where is Lewis likely fitting into the mix?

I thought he was at least solid last year, considering the situation.

I second this question. We've heard a lot about Jeanpierre, Nowak, and Sokoli, but curiously little about Patrick Lewis. Unless I've missed something.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
rideaducati":3qvqevqx said:
MontanaHawk05":3qvqevqx said:
SeatownJay":3qvqevqx said:

You can make all the right line call all you want, but if the OL gets beat by the front 7 it means nothing. How many times we seen a free rusher go straight for Russell. This year will be important as I'm pretty sure the defense around the league is looking to hit him a bit more than they did the last 3 years now that he's paid and a superstar.

We will have a better OL than last year I believe with better depht. These guys that JS/PC got are going to be upgrades, athletic and strong guys.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":3ir4gzig said:
rideaducati":3ir4gzig said:
MontanaHawk05":3ir4gzig said:
SeatownJay":3ir4gzig said:

You can make all the right line call all you want, but if the OL gets beat by the front 7 it means nothing. How many times we seen a free rusher go straight for Russell. This year will be important as I'm pretty sure the defense around the league is looking to hit him a bit more than they did the last 3 years now that he's paid and a superstar.

We will have a better OL than last year I believe with better depht. These guys that JS/PC got are going to be upgrades, athletic and strong guys.

An argument could be made that the free rusher situation you describe is a result of miscommunication starting with a faulty line call. Or maybe just a whiff by a particular player. Either way, working together as a unit is hugely important, and that usually starts with the center so everyone knows their assignment. Hard to say where the breakdown was all the time.

I agree that the OL as a whole has a chance to be better with better depth. Still a lot of hope needed at this point though.