Hawks Special Teams

TCS

Reaction score
Hello All,

It's no secret that the special teams unit last year was less than stellar. Not having GT was a blow, and Lockett should help this years ST unit, but was not having an electric returner the only issue? I realize ST is a revolving door from year to year, as the roster inevitably churns, but has anyone seen anything so far in training camp that gives hope to this years unit being any better?

I'm keen to hear what anyone has heard or seen, either way...?

Go Hawks!

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
I think the coverage units have the potential to be much better with the additions of elite athletes like Kevin Pierre-Lewis, Eric Pinkins and Mo Seisay, plus other potentials such as Dion Bailey, Doug McNeil and even Frank Clark. Not to mention the return of Derrick Coleman. Finding a strong gunner opposite Lockette on punt coverage, to replace Lane, will be key.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
As well the team has a legit prospect as a returner in Lockett at long last. He played gunner besides returning punts and kicks in college and was considered pretty good at it.

I suspect the ST play will be a lot improved

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Carroll and Brian Schneider have each said this year's special teams units have a chance to be the fastest ever.

Tyler Lockett is a dynamo with vision, faster than Harvin (electronically-timed 4.40), and he seems to be at his best when he is getting a lot of work. He was the best returner in college football last year. Carroll has said he is going to get a chance to return both punts and kickoffs. I thought Richardson's vision last year was lacking on the kickoffs.

Then add in the fact that we have complete continuity at kicker, punter, holder, and snapper. On paper, it's looking like the best year I can remember for special teams.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Should be interesting. Anything will be better than ADB taking it out to the 13 yard line, or Walters fair catching everything. Though he was pretty solid at that :th2thumbs:

Ozzy

Reaction score
I'm as excited about Lockett as anyone and I think he excells in that role. Coverage guys we will just have to wait and see but I'm optimistic about the unit overall.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
The play that special teams coach Brian Schneider was most pleased with might surprise you. I caught up with Schneider after Monday’s practice and asked him a lot about Tyler Lockett for a story down the road. But I also asked Schneider what players stood out on special teams. Here is his response: “I told all the players this: We did a lot of good things. We had some good kickoffs. We had a fumble recovery on a punt. But the best play to me was on the fourth quarter punt when we had all our twos and threes in there and they’re giving maximum effort. No one sees that. No one is going to write a story about that. But you see all 11 guys just totally straining and giving great effort and they caught it. But to me I made a big point of that because that’s what we ask. We ask for great effort.” It’s an small look into what the Seahawks stress from their players on special teams; this is the same team that races into the end zone and tries to keep track of who gets the most fired up during the season. All that little stuff matters.

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seah ... -and-more/

We played about as well on special teams as I have ever seen in a preseason game. Obviously, there was Lockett's 103-yard kick return touchdown, his other 46-yard kickoff return, and his 18-yard punt return. But there was also great play by the coverage teams. We held Denver to 16.8 yards per kickoff and 0.0 yards per punt. Jon Ryan was booming punts, including a 53 yarder and two pinned inside the 20. Hauschka made all his kicks. Wade recovered a fumbled punt. Chris Matthews nearly had his own fumble recovery on the punt team. B.J. Daniels had a great play to hit a kickoff returner inside the 20. Kevin Smith, Tye Smith, Shead, Lockette, and Terrell all played great on special teams.