Bevell Presser

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I find it hilarious that many fans including many of our own who think Graham can't block. Yet, what they don't realize that Graham is replacing Luke Willson and Cooper Helfet.

Graham comes in at 6'7, 270... Bigger, stronger, and just as athletic as the 6'5, 255-260 Willson and double so over the 6'3, 240-245 Helfet. Both 2014 TEs arent really known for thier blocking prowess, yet the Seahawks still found a way to be a historical rushing team last year with those guys getting most of the snaps.

I think plug and play Graham is fitting and he'll do just fine, no one is asking him to be as good as Zach Miller. But just as good or a tad better than what the Seahawks had last year... And that certainly isnt the highest bar of blocking achievement.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Bigger maybe, but Graham is pretty lean and long limbed. I don't think there's any way he's stronger than Willson, who has a much more stout build. The best blocker currently at TE is McCoy though. He wasn't far behind Miller in that department.

Blocking is really about effort and technique more than size and strength though.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I dont know the eye test alone to me Graham looks bigger and stronger plus has been in an NFL weight room for 2 years longer. I also rarely see Graham knocked off his balance in a scrum compared to Willson.

And your last part is key, but everything coming out of Grahams mouth if you can take is word for it, that it isnt going to be an issue. He knows by now how important the running game is to this team and im pretty certain he understands his role in it for it to be successful.

idahohawk

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":tcob271v said:
I find it hilarious that many fans including many of our own who think Graham can't block. Yet, what they don't realize that Graham is replacing Luke Willson and Cooper Helfet.

Graham comes in at 6'7, 270... Bigger, stronger, and just as athletic as the 6'5, 255-260 Willson and double so over the 6'3, 240-245 Helfet. Both 2014 TEs arent really known for thier blocking prowess, yet the Seahawks still found a way to be a historical rushing team last year with those guys getting most of the snaps.

I think plug and play Graham is fitting and he'll do just fine, no one is asking him to be as good as Zach Miller. But just as good or a tad better than what the Seahawks had last year... And that certainly isnt the highest bar of blocking achievement.

The Graham blocking stuff is ridiculous and lazy reporting. He's bigger, stronger, and more athletic than every TE in the NFL, with 1 or 2 exceptions. If he's asked to block, he'll block. Good grief. Can we please kickoff the season already?

brimsalabim

Reaction score
So far he seems to be embracing every thing about our offense. Maybe he just wasn't asked to block in the Saints scheme?

Hawks46

Reaction score
brimsalabim":3n8gjh3x said:
So far he seems to be embracing every thing about our offense. Maybe he just wasn't asked to block in the Saints scheme?

He's actually come out and said that the Saints rarely asked him to block. They also liked the mismatch they got when they split him out wide, and they did that a lot. It's hard to block inline when you're outside the slot guy.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":1tusau1j said:
I dont know the eye test alone to me Graham looks bigger and stronger plus has been in an NFL weight room for 2 years longer. I also rarely see Graham knocked off his balance in a scrum compared to Willson.

And your last part is key, but everything coming out of Grahams mouth if you can take is word for it, that it isnt going to be an issue. He knows by now how important the running game is to this team and im pretty certain he understands his role in it for it to be successful.

I'd agree with this. Looking at Graham, and looking at Willson, it's hard to see how Willson has a larger build. Graham is also definitely stronger. Seriously, look at balls thrown to both TE's in traffic, and tell me who plays stronger.

I also agree about what Graham has said. Graham has a lot of pride, and if people are all calling him soft and that he can't block, then he's going to want to go out there and block. Look at his comment "I'm 6'7" and 270 pounds, I can block whoever I want to". That proves it right there.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I was just hoping someone would ask him why he has to get so cute in the red zone. Run the fricken ball idiot.

EntiatHawk

Reaction score
I know we all have a sour taste still from the last play but it was not as bad a play as it was a horrible outcome. That could be the same said if we handed off to ML and he fumbled it trying to dive in and NE recovers.

With that said that play may define this season.

hawk45

Reaction score
The sign of a truly great offensive mind such as Bevell: the team acquires one of the greatest playmakers in the game and the conversation turns to whether or not he'll eff it up.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
hawk45":a0r4kc1f said:
The sign of a truly great offensive mind such as Bevell: the team acquires one of the greatest playmakers in the game and the conversation turns to whether or not he'll eff it up.
Ding, ding, ding winner!

zifnab32

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":36b3n9r3 said:
I was just hoping someone would ask him why he has to get so cute in the red zone. Run the fricken ball idiot.

We ran the ball more often than almost any other team in the red zone last season. We ran it 56% of the time, behind only SF (57%), Cincinnati (59%), and Cleveland (61%).

blue 22

Reaction score
zifnab32":3kog4fd3 said:
SoulfishHawk":3kog4fd3 said:

We ran the ball more often than almost any other team in the red zone last season. We ran it 56% of the time, behind only SF (57%), Cincinnati (59%), and Cleveland (61%).

Don't ask him why he didn't run the ball... Ask him why he ran a frickin SLANT on the one!

Running a pass play was fine but not a slant on the one. inexcusable.