Tom Cable on Clayton last weekend and O-Line insights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
So I was going through a backlog of podcasts this and came across Tom Cable's interview on the Clayton show last weekend and it doesn't look like anyone had posted the link/ talked about it.

http://mynorthwest.com/category/podcast_player/?a=9990653&p=1034&n=John Clayton Show

Points that stuck out to me (definitely not inclusive but I thought it was interesting):

Tom Cable really likes our right side. Says Sweezy and Britt and both in great shape and playing great. Says Britt gets it now. Has worked out a lot with Sweezy in the offseason and has his body right.

Okung is having his best camp ever (makes sense from a health standpoint)

Really likes the competition at center. Really high on Drew Nowak. Really high on all the D-line converts in general. Talked up both Lem and Nowak and said he really likes the competition.

Sounded REALLY DOWN on the left guard position. Said he wants someone to take the job and pancake it. Nobody has done that so far. Didn't sound sold on Bailey/ Sokoli. Likes Glowinski a LOT. That's why he's getting a shot here. Loves the nasty he brings. Sokoli has it too but he's just not there yet. Also down on Poole. Sounded like he came into camp relatively out of shape and is behind his contemporaries.

Sorry if this is disjointed. I'm recalling it "stream of consciousness" style from memory. Looking forward to picking this apart tomorrow night.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Since then, Keavon Milton has kind of taken that position, running with the first team at LG all week. I would also like to see Glowinski get another shot at LG in the preseaosn. He said it was not a position he has played in a while, so it's important that he gets sufficient reps there so he can get comfortable and show what he can do.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
jdemps":27m1j25m said:
Sorry if this is disjointed. I'm recalling it "stream of consciousness" style from memory.
Don't worry about it. It's just nice to get the synopsis, so thanks for that.

CalgaryHawk

Reaction score
I think Cable wants to allow Glowinski to concentrate on getting very comfortable playing right guard and right tackle, so he can be ready to be the first backup to play in the event of an injury situation at one of those positions. He also may not be heavy enough for what they look for in a left guard. Left guard could be the position where the Hawks swing a trade before the season starts or bring in a cap casualty veteran. It's disappointing that Bailey is still not being physical enough in his play to please Cable because he has the talent to be a successful starter.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Great post! Thanks for doing that. I've been battling the flu this week, even so, I miss them and appreciate your follow up posting :th2thumbs:

ivotuk

Reaction score
BlueTalon":1i7xwm4r said:
jdemps":1i7xwm4r said:
Sorry if this is disjointed. I'm recalling it "stream of consciousness" style from memory.

Don't worry about it. It's just nice to get the synopsis, so thanks for that.

Plus 1 on this.

I don't have the time, nor the memory capacity to do a synopsis, so if anyone comes across something where I've posted just a link, I have zero problem with them re-posting as long as they add something new.

kearly

Reaction score
Cable seems to play favorites more than any Seahawks position coach I can remember in some time. If he loves you, everyone knows it. If you're in his doghouse, everyone knows it. And there seems to be almost zero inbetween with him.

I think at left guard, Bailey is probably the best option by a good margin, but Bailey has always kind of been in Cable's doghouse, and once you're in, it seems like you never get out.

I like Cable a lot, I think he's done a very good job doing more with less. I like that he speaks his mind and is honest. There is wisdom in his words. But I don't really love how he always seems to have so many players in his doghouse, and it seems to have less to do with ability and more to do with personality, IMO.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
kearly":1qbualbk said:
Cable seems to play favorites more than any Seahawks position coach I can remember in some time. If he loves you, everyone knows it. If you're in his doghouse, everyone knows it. And there seems to be almost zero inbetween with him.

I think at left guard, Bailey is probably the best option by a good margin, but Bailey has always kind of been in Cable's doghouse, and once you're in, it seems like you never get out.

I think you are being willfully ignorant of Bailey's lack of physicality and weak run blocking, which does not jive with the philosophy of this team. Bailey started camp by getting first team reps, and obviously they were not satisfied with how he was playing, even though he has very good athleticism and is the most experienced player at that position.

massari

Reaction score
jdemps":25dyn8k3 said:
.Sounded REALLY DOWN on the left guard position. Said he wants someone to take the job and pancake it. Nobody has done that so far. Didn't sound sold on Bailey/ Sokoli. Likes Glowinski a LOT. That's why he's getting a shot here. Loves the nasty he brings. Sokoli has it too but he's just not there yet. Also down on Poole. Sounded like he came into camp relatively out of shape and is behind his contemporaries.

One of the best LG is still a free agent, wonder if they could afford him if they release Kearse?

I'm itchin for Aldon Smith and Evan Mathis damnit!

Hawks46

Reaction score
I liked the Glowinski pick. Looking at his tape from WV, he is great in a ZBS. He combo blocks well, and peels off to find his target on the 2nd level very well. He also is athletic enough to get to that LB and not have to reach. He always finished his blocks and mauled his guy every chance he could get.

I like Bailey, be he seems like a tweener. He's not quite quick enough to be really good at Tackle, but he's honestly too soft to run block as a Guard. Maybe after he lost weight, he'll be better at backup Tackle.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
massari":2t7sv1i2 said:
jdemps":2t7sv1i2 said:
.Sounded REALLY DOWN on the left guard position. Said he wants someone to take the job and pancake it. Nobody has done that so far. Didn't sound sold on Bailey/ Sokoli. Likes Glowinski a LOT. That's why he's getting a shot here. Loves the nasty he brings. Sokoli has it too but he's just not there yet. Also down on Poole. Sounded like he came into camp relatively out of shape and is behind his contemporaries.

One of the best LG is still a free agent, wonder if they could afford him if they release Kearse?

I'm itchin for Aldon Smith and Evan Mathis damnit!

Smith has no role on this team, imo. Seahawks are stacked with potentially 5 good to elite edge rushers.

The Dolphins are offering Evan Mathis about half of his Eagles salary of 5.5m. Thats about what Kearse is going to make but Mathis' group wants more.

OP
OP
jdemps

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
kearly":14sslh3z said:

I like Cable a lot, I think he's done a very good job doing more with less. I like that he speaks his mind and is honest. There is wisdom in his words. But I don't really love how he always seems to have so many players in his doghouse, and it seems to have less to do with ability and more to do with personality, IMO.

I agree that Cable plays immense favoritism with linemen. Every time he talks about liking a lineman, they have qualities that he covets: super athletic, nasty side, with a short memory. He talked a little about this in the interview. How he liked when a guy has the fight in there. Takes every snap as a learning opportunity, learns from it, and gets better...in other words, a football player. Sounds like he doesn't like guys with entitled attitudes. A sentiment that I share with him.

I'm not sure if there's really any guys on this line that aren't Cable's guys. He hand picks them. I'd have to say his doghouse is more performance based/ Cable's perception of your performance in relation to where he thinks your abilities should be. Getting out of the doghouse is just about playing better. I think James Carpenter was in and out of the doghouse for years for this exact reason.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Great find, thanks.

It's still interesting to me that they started off with Poole at LG and Glowinski at RG, given the obvious need for competition at LG and that Glowinski looked NFL ready while Poole did not. The move now seems to fit that narrative but I wonder what they thought initially and what piece of the puzzle we are missing.

Fade

Reaction score
01) Bailey is a finesse Left Tackle. When he has gotten any kind of P.T. at that position he has played well.

02) I would have put Glowinski in the left guard competition as soon as he was drafted. Now it is probably too late for that, and it would be best for him to continue to work at RG & RT.

03) Nowak, better beast this preseason, because Lem and Patrick Lewis played well enough to go 8-2 last season.

04) O-Line is going to be the position group I will be eyeing the most this preseason, along with backup secondary.

idahohawk

Reaction score
I won't claim to be an offensive line guru, but I'm expecting more of the same this season, as we saw last year. Solid run blocking, and porous, turnstyle-esque pass blocking. I am setting my expectations based on last year so I can hopefully be pleasantly surprised.

sutz

Reaction score
I don't know the splits, but with a right handed QB and RB, it might lead to more power running to the weak side, meaning LG better be a road grater that can pancake the first defender, or at least wall him off, and get to the second level. Doesn't sound like we have that now.

I'ts been said before by smarter guys than me, if we stick to our core running philosophy we'll never have an elite pass blocking unit. Hopefully we can get to the 'servicable' level this season. With the new weapons in the passing game, it would be a shame to give up 50 sacks this year. Just sayin' you know.

kearly

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1gatwhx3 said:
kearly":1gatwhx3 said:

I think you are being willfully ignorant of Bailey's lack of...

Serious question, are you autistic?

I mean, I think you had said the same thing in a civil tone, I would have mostly agreed with you. Why the needlessly hostile and accusatory tone out of nowhere? I don't get it.

kearly

Reaction score
jdemps":3ucnxuvf said:
I agree that Cable plays immense favoritism with linemen. Every time he talks about liking a lineman, they have qualities that he covets: super athletic, nasty side, with a short memory. He talked a little about this in the interview. How he liked when a guy has the fight in there. Takes every snap as a learning opportunity, learns from it, and gets better...in other words, a football player. Sounds like he doesn't like guys with entitled attitudes. A sentiment that I share with him.

I'm not sure if there's really any guys on this line that aren't Cable's guys. He hand picks them. I'd have to say his doghouse is more performance based/ Cable's perception of your performance in relation to where he thinks your abilities should be. Getting out of the doghouse is just about playing better. I think James Carpenter was in and out of the doghouse for years for this exact reason.

Was Carp ever in the doghouse with Cable? It would make sense if he was, I just don't remember it.

I think you make a great point about Cable liking a certain type of person and style of performer. What's weird though is that he hated Moffitt, even though Moffitt was a better run blocker than pass blocker. Then again, Moffitt's personality was a bit of a clash...

I think I would like playing for Tom. I think the best thing about football is it allows you to be a different person, a warrior, for 3 hours once a week. I think Tom feels that every one of his players should have a mindset like that. I like Tom Cable.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
kearly":1st0buls said:
hawknation2015":1st0buls said:
kearly":1st0buls said:

I think you are being willfully ignorant of Bailey's lack of physicality and weak run blocking, which does not jive with the philosophy of this team. Bailey started camp by getting first team reps, and obviously they were not satisfied with how he was playing, even though he has very good athleticism and is the most experienced player at that position.

Serious question, are you autistic?

I mean, I think you had said the same thing in a civil tone, I would have mostly agreed with you. Why the needlessly hostile and accusatory tone out of nowhere? I don't get it.

That's not very nice.

Legal jargon is just part of the way I speak and write. By "willful ignorance," also referred to as willful blindness, I am merely referring to the idea of intentionally ignoring a mountain of evidence in front of your eyes, i.e. Bailey's below average run blocking over the last two seasons, in addition to Cable's own statements that you so willingly dismiss as a "dog house."

I do get it . . . you don't like the way I express myself. You have already made that very clear in the past in an equally abrasive way. But no need to put down autistic people to once again make that same callous point.

Status
Not open for further replies.