I'd like to respond to a post...

A

Anonymous

This post was made in another topic:

Chawker":3ten9kzm said:
I read here a lot and post rarely, being a Seahawks fan I'd think that this would be the last place you'd get chewed out for "YELLING" on game day. But I was wrong! I'm very careful about it now. No matter what I do or say it rubs somebody the wrong way
. cheers

I'm going to respond to this post with a challenge:

My friend Chawker here, is among those who have had a negative experience on Seahawks.NET. It happens, and I apologize. People can be ass-hats; you post, somebody responds, you stand up for yourself, some counseling happens, you say "Nope!" and you go into read-only mode. Maybe you started a topic you thought had potential, but were shot down. I get it.

It's not how you fall, it's how you get up. I can't tell you how many times I have typed stuff that I got up in the morning and re-read and went, "what the hell!?". We all can't be Pulitzer Prize winners in every post, but we do know and love our team, and we can talk about them. The great thing is in here you can be yourself and there are more people in here that understand that, than don't. In fact, you are surrounded by some very excellent folks who have been in your shoes before.

Some of you may have noticed my moniker (rank) has changed. I am humbled and honored to be given this position with .NET, but I am also a little afraid. I'm afraid that so many of you that read and don't respond, like Chawker, may never post again. I'm afraid that so many of you have had experiences here, with certain other users (or even a moderator), that have kept you from being part of something pretty damn cool. I'd like for us to not be afraid anymore.

With the beginning of the new season, we are going to wipe the slate clean. We are going to be a united front of 12's interacting and celebrating the Seahawks together. Peacefully, and with the utmost respect for one another.

Tomorrow is the first preseason game of our new season. Use this season as your re-emergence. Head over to the FAQ's and the board rules forums, familiarize yourself, test out stuff, get creative, be yourself. The moderation staff is here to help YOU.

We were discussing Kearly in another topic tonight. Kip is only one guy among many devoted 12's who have loved and followed the Seahawks for decades in unwavering fashion. There are so many more Kip's among you it's insane. You have worked long overtime hours to pay for season tickets, you stand in the rain for eight hours to get jerseys signed, you have screamed until your voice was gone, you traveled to east Asia to display your 12-flags on ancient relics, you paint your faces neon green every Sunday... (well, maybe you don't do that).

Point is, any one of you could easily do what Kip does here. You just have to take just a little more time before you hit the "submit" button than you did before. That's all. At Seahawks.NET, you are on a 100% level playing field. Anything you say can, and will, be broadcast to the entire world, billions of times over, but it will be heard, because we are all equals here.

I ask only one thing: Be kind to one another.

Life is too short and we are all on the same team. Should you have any issues, problems, need advice, want to gripe about another user (or a moderator), or even if you need an antidote for spider venom, PM me. I've got you covered.

Oh, and Chawker? You don't have to yell, we hear you just fine. :mrgreen:

Enjoy the new season everyone!

Cheers,
Scott

Go Hawks!!!

:les:

SeaToTheHawks

Reaction score
Slightly off topic but relates to the yelling... If one more person tries to tell me to sit down at a game this year I will literally look them right in the eyes and say "Shut Up."

Last year it happened to me and I was pretty reserved in my response but I won't be this year.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
There will be a certain percentage of people who have a problem with what you have to say. It is unequivocally inevitable.

I always make the comparison that, if Christianity were somehow real, Jesus Christ could come back and he would be nothing but ridiculed and in the end, homeless and ultimately likely in prison at some point, if not killed.

Hard to say, and I need to take my own advise, I'm sure; but you gotta try not to sweat it. For some folks the latter is easier....not true for everyone, despite what you might see or perceive.

What were we talking about again?

stang233

Reaction score
I do not post much but check out the site 4-6 times a day. The only thing I think that could be improved is that mods are so quick to close a thread. Most of us don't like reading through 3-6 pages of posts to see all the angles of a topic. I personally think a different angle of a similar topic should remain an independent post. Go Hawks!!

kearly

Reaction score
Does this mean Pehawk can come back? :pray:

Rob12

Reaction score
Awesome post Houston.

This has been a very LONG offseason. I know I've overreacted at times to both real life Seahawks happenings and the opinions of the posters here. I don't want to do that.

Here's to a great season, and also some great Seahawks discussion on here.

OP
OP
A

Anonymous

kearly":2wq52phz said:
Does this mean Pehawk can come back? :pray:
Sorry Sir, the current slate.

Sachawk2.0":2wq52phz said:
Houston is also good for hugs if you need them.
Absolutely.

stang233":2wq52phz said:
I do not post much but check out the site 4-6 times a day. The only thing I think that could be improved is that mods are so quick to close a thread. Most of us don't like reading through 3-6 pages of posts to see all the angles of a topic. I personally think a different angle of a similar topic should remain an independent post. Go Hawks!!
Noted.

Once the season kicks-in full swing, we frequently see fresh topics appear in groups of duplicates as each of you hopes to sneak in the "news" at the same time about the same thing. Don't take it personally if your topic, or one that you wish to post in, is locked for one reason or another. We err on the side of attempting to keep discussions concise and organized to a general thought.

Occasionally, a thread with a decidedly different approach to a given player may be caught in the wrong snare, so let us know about it.

I can assure you we can always do our job better, and behind the scenes we work as a team toward that very goal. We value each and every bit of constructive critisism we receive, so please, do not hesitate to contact any one of us via your private messages feature to offer your advice on how we can help serve you better.

Enjoy the game tonight!

Go Hawks!!!

Scott

Chawker

Reaction score
One other thing really grinds my gears about this place: Somebody will break a big news story, then 20 minutes later somebody else will start a post like they where the one who discovered it. The mods lock-out the first guy's post and then get rid of it. That's real fair, and awful nice, when it happens. I've seen it just the other day when Russ signed his new contract. These kind of actions really are hurting your fan base and turning people away. Just a head's up. Cheers!

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Thank you for the op.

The reason I rarely post here and lots of my friends refuse to visit here is because of some condescending remarks to posts, when we're just trying to have a football conversation.

Everybody has different opinions. That's life. But just because you don't agree with someone's opinion doesn't give you the right to respond rudely. We're all mostly seahawks fans here. I'd just like to see attacking posts to be stopped and real football debates to take place.

Go seahawks!

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Just to bring an outsider perspective to things:

I think the problems being discussed in this thread about .net are universal problems across all php boards; you guys aren't dealing with anything that isn't also a problem on every sports fan board, every political board, every music listeners board, etc. I say this only to say that on balance, I think you guys do a pretty good job here. Like everywhere else .Net struggles with these same problems at times, but it's a well-modded board that overall has more than its fair share of quality posts and posters.

FWIW I don't think the rabble can ever totally be tamped down on any board, and the problem with the rabble is they're totally unresponsive to appeals for better behavior; they're either out of conrol to begin with or simply don' care.

I guess my point is that as a mod (in particular) one can sometimes see the problems more than others do (as mods are responsible for fixing them) while losing sight of all the things that are pretty great and aren't problems.

Basically, as an outsider/interloper/someone who isn't really supposed to be here, I think the mods should give themselves a lot of credit for what they've been able to accomplish, and posters here should give them credit too (read: if you get modded, even if you're upset or annoyed about it, if you're not seeing the whole forest and giving the mod the benefit of the doubt, you should do so).

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2aa42qjz said:
Just to bring an outsider perspective to things:

I think the problems being discussed in this thread about .net are universal problems across all php boards; you guys aren't dealing with anything that isn't also a problem on every sports fan board, every political board, every music listeners board, etc. I say this only to say that on balance, I think you guys do a pretty good job here. Like everywhere else .Net struggles with these same problems at times, but it's a well-modded board that overall has more than its fair share of quality posts and posters.

FWIW I don't think the rabble can ever totally be tamped down on any board, and the problem with the rabble is they're totally unresponsive to appeals for better behavior; they're either out of conrol to begin with or simply don' care.

I guess my point is that as a mod (in particular) one can sometimes see the problems more than others do (as mods are responsible for fixing them) while losing sight of all the things that are pretty great and aren't problems.

Basically, as an outsider/interloper/someone who isn't really supposed to be here, I think the mods should give themselves a lot of credit for what they've been able to accomplish, and posters here should give them credit too (read: if you get modded, even if you're upset or annoyed about it, if you're not seeing the whole forest and giving the mod the benefit of the doubt, you should do so).

Very nice Popeye.

And you are 100% right HH!

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1kj1oe0f said:

I agree and disagree....people are people and make mistakes.

When I first came to this board it was Wilson's rookie year and the preseason game that he played the titans and Hasselbeck. I posted that Wilson would become the greatest seahawks QB of all time, I defended it, and got banned for trolling. Thing is.....I wasn't trolling. I was saying what I really believed. I had followed Wilson for a long time and had posted on other forums even prior to the draft about how good I thought he would be.

Anyways.... I went on posting for two years under a different name. Finally they gave me my old user name back that was banned. I understand my claim seemed like trolling at the time. I think now most would agree I was correct. I enjoy Seahawk content, so I enjoy this forum. I was a week old on this forum, so perhaps they thought I was trolling.

Go Hawks

bigwrm

Reaction score
I agree with popeye that the tone of discourse here is more civilized than most other places I frequent. The only thing that frustrates me occasionally are casual sexist/homophobic remarks. While not entirely unexpected given the demographic here, it can be discouraging.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
kearly":57rt5tz0 said:
vin.couve12 gets it.
Yeah, usually I don't respond in topics like this, but I was drunk last night. :lol:

Job has sucked for a while, but I got a new boss that I met for the first time....worst one to date. Looking for work now.