My 2 cents

Hawks46

Reaction score
Some of this has been said already but here goes:

OL was terrible. I will say the 3rd string OL does know how to set up some decent screens.

Our pass rush looks really deadly. Irvin, Avril, Marsh, Clark. We not only look really damned fast, but deep. Problem is, our run defense looks a bit soft. We have the size and talent, I think we can improve our run fits so I'm not terribly worried about it. Plus, Kubiak had the Ravens running the ball really well last year, and was historically good at it in Houston. It's not surprising, with Denver's OL that they can run the ball well.

Our secondary was obviously young. They were out of position a lot. I liked how they were flying around and hitting pretty hard. I'm optimistic than they can learn from this game and improve throughout camp.

I like what I saw from Matthews tonight. He looked good on ST as well. I hope his shoulder is ok.

Frank Clark. Holy crap, he beasted tonight. Pass rush, run fits, you name it. He was a man among boys against the backups, and looked pretty dominant against the 1st stringers when he was in there. If he keeps this up, he's going to cost Bennett his job, sooner rather than later. And the beauty of it is that it's not the Seahawks being disloyal. It's Bennett being beat out in competition.

Lockett looked as good as advertised with returns. I didn't get to see enough of him running routes, but none of our QBs had time tonight.

I can see what they like in Archer. He looks pretty well adjusted out there. He just might be our back up next year, and he'd save us money over Jackson.

Marsh looked pretty good tonight as well.

Michael had a boneheaded fumble, but he looked decent other than that. You can see the explosion he has, and elusiveness. He also had a couple of really good blitz pickups where he popped a blitzing LBer and stoned him.

Rawls looked good. I also liked what Smith showed us.

Over all, we look like we need a lot more polish, but we have a lot of very young guys and it's expected. The OL is the biggest issue to me at this point.

Tical21

Reaction score
Thanks for the thoughts. If I can find time, I'm going to re-watch the line and see what I can figure out.

It is already looking like I was wrong on Frank Clark. I did not anticipate that motor. That was a special, special preseason performance.

Kevin Smith looked good.

I didn't agree with your analysis on Archer. He had a couple great throws but his mechanics broke down quickly when it wasn't there.

I think Tye Smith is going to be a player. I'd like to see him on the other side a little bit.

I didn't get to watch the starters. Did we see anything from Cary Williams?

The other guy I would like to watch more closely is Marsh.

For the past two years, I've thought Christine Michael was simply getting an extended Golden Tate treatment, and they were doing nothing more than stashing him and teaching him lessons so he'd be mature by the time he needed to become our starter. Now I'm not so sure he makes the team if cuts were today. I wasn't blown away by Rawls either, however.

How is Zach Miller not on this team right now?

ballhawks12

Reaction score
Hawks46":2ltz7snz said:
Some of this has been said already but here goes:

OL was terrible. I will say the 3rd string OL does know how to set up some decent screens.

Our pass rush looks really deadly. Irvin, Avril, Marsh, Clark. We not only look really damned fast, but deep. Problem is, our run defense looks a bit soft. We have the size and talent, I think we can improve our run fits so I'm not terribly worried about it. Plus, Kubiak had the Ravens running the ball really well last year, and was historically good at it in Houston. It's not surprising, with Denver's OL that they can run the ball well.

Our secondary was obviously young. They were out of position a lot. I liked how they were flying around and hitting pretty hard. I'm optimistic than they can learn from this game and improve throughout camp.

I like what I saw from Matthews tonight. He looked good on ST as well. I hope his shoulder is ok.

Frank Clark. Holy crap, he beasted tonight. Pass rush, run fits, you name it. He was a man among boys against the backups, and looked pretty dominant against the 1st stringers when he was in there. If he keeps this up, he's going to cost Bennett his job, sooner rather than later. And the beauty of it is that it's not the Seahawks being disloyal. It's Bennett being beat out in competition.

Lockett looked as good as advertised with returns. I didn't get to see enough of him running routes, but none of our QBs had time tonight.

I can see what they like in Archer. He looks pretty well adjusted out there. He just might be our back up next year, and he'd save us money over Jackson.

Marsh looked pretty good tonight as well.

Michael had a boneheaded fumble, but he looked decent other than that. You can see the explosion he has, and elusiveness. He also had a couple of really good blitz pickups where he popped a blitzing LBer and stoned him.

Rawls looked good. I also liked what Smith showed us.

Over all, we look like we need a lot more polish, but we have a lot of very young guys and it's expected. The OL is the biggest issue to me at this point.

Great post. I didn't get to watch as much of the game as I'd like due to being stuck in a store(I watched 1st quarter and got bits and pieces of the rest of it), but I generally agree with what you said based on what I saw. The O-Line is indeed a concern; however, it is just preseason and plenty of time to work on it. Hopefully Matthews will be fine........

and Pete too after the ref got ahold of him lol.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Your optimist outlook offsets my pessimism here.

I find the OL horrific. It was interesting to hear words like "cringed" coming from Michael Robinson re: the blocking.

And the DL did little to inspire confidence either, maybe the pass rush looked in form but it looked like anyone can run up the gut on them now and I have to wonder if our run defense isn't going to be a huge concern or didn't end up moving to Tampa and wherever Kevin Williams is now.

I believe in Pete but man, if anything is a cure for "Seahawks fever" it is being subjected to watching this line play for 2 hours.

Hoping they can right the boat on this one, but right now I don't know what to expect. I don't expect it will matter if we have Graham though if we can only give poor Wilson .031 seconds to throw the ball from the snap. The OL were letting the defenders in like Wilson owed them money or something.

bigwrm

Reaction score
On the fumble and at least one other run it looked like CMike was carrying the ball in his left hand, so I at least give him credit for working on that. What's more inexcusable was his complete lack of situational awareness on the bad snap the play after the fumble. Just standing around like his controller got unplugged.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I think there is going to be a lot said about the RB position, but what I didn't see much of from the 2 new guys is the ability to create. Both Rawls and Smith had quite a bit of room and took what was there, but neither created something from nothing, which is a requirement in the NFL and ESPECIALLY behind this OL.

Center: LJP showed what I thought he would after watching a couple games from last season. He just doesn't have enough power in the run game and plays behind the LOS entirely too much. Us being a running team, that's not good. Nowak had a couple of bonehead plays, but is just physically more effective (albeit against lesser competition). Nowak needs to start next game and see how he does against ones.

Bailey still looks like he's learning even back at LG where he played fairly well, but then again even Sweezy gave up a pressure.

Our first 2 draft picks looked like studs.

Matthews and TJack. Need info there.

In the Secondary, the only corner that stuck out was Smith. At saftey, Bailey shows up well and Lambert looked like he belonged. Martin Jr also had a couple good plays, but more importantly he was taking good, fast angles to the football. Zimmerman as well. The two that started didn't fare so well.

At linebacker, our backups are really, really underwhelming. Nealy and Adams were completely lost and were often looking like they were running in sand even though neither player is really slow. Normally that would be KPL and Coyle on the 2nd team, but both were out. Morgan didn't have that great of a game at the edge. Pinkins had his struggles setting it as well, but also made a couple splash plays.

Outside of Clark dominating, TY McGill looked a bit like Mebane on a couple plays. Did really well when single blocked, but still needs to improve on the double. Scruggs showed up quite a few times both in the run game and pass game. He's a little more trim this year. probably below 300 pounds, which is good. At one point he also ran a high 4.6 40. No need to get fat, holmes. Marsh was good in the pass rush department, but had early struggles against the run and then got better as time when on.

Cottom really popped some people at FB. He's a big boy with some explosion.

All in all, this was really, really sloppy football and it seemed like a lot of guys, like Brock was saying, were so excited they could hardly run normal. Dudes falling all over the place, no one could pick up a fumble like the ball had vasoline on it, and generally just ugly, ugly football. That said, I really can't take too much from this game. Should know more next week.

kearly

Reaction score
It's important to remember that the Seahawks looked even worse than this in their preseason finale against Oakland last year. But that said, this was the worst opening half of a preseason game I can remember in a really long time. Brock Osweiler and a collection of average RBs outgained Seattle by nearly a 10 to 1 margin.

But anyway. There wasn't a lot of good to take out of this game, and most of the good stuff was pretty obvious.

Frank Clark. He looked like JJ Watt if JJ Watt were made into a mere mortal. He got through the line like someone walking through a crowd at a bus stop.

Matthews showed some good contested catches. Really hope he is okay.

Sweezy and Britt were both destroyed for quick sacks almost immediately in this game. Alvin Bailey looked lazy on a run block that almost blew up a running play. A lot of other guys struggled. It's pretty scary to think we open the season at 10 am against the Rams DL.

I'm not excusing it, but every time Christine Michael fumbles, he has two hands on the football. Maybe it is bad luck, or maybe Michael is a master of the kind of fumbles almost nobody else makes. As catastrophic as that fumble was, the rest of the offense was so bad that I had almost forgotten about Michael's fumble by the end of the game.

I want to see Lockett catch some passes now.

Archer was really bad, the only play he could make with any consistency was throwing a screen to a RB. His mobility isn't great either. I did like his arm strength though. Kind of reminds me a little of CBJ, but worse. If Archer ends up being our QB #2 with that OL, it will be a terrifying season.

Tye Smith looks legit. Not really a shock to most of us.

Marsh missed a sack he has to make, and his overall performance, while decent, just kind of seemed "roster bubble" to me. Right now he looks like a guy that gets stashed on the roster more than an impact pass rusher. I would like to see him take some reps at LB.

Kevin Smith showed good hands.

Jordan Hill continues to be exploited in the run game. He lined up at the 1 tech in a 2nd and long situation and they ran right at him for a huge gain.

I like Britt, but with Zach Miller being gone and our TE group sucking across the board in pass pro, can we really afford him as a pass pro liability? It seemed like Wilson and Tjack were pressured on every single snap. I honestly wonder if we might see Bailey get some snaps at RT this season.

It was hilarious seeing Pete Carroll getting trucked by a ref, and then watching that ref pirouette while yanking the flag out of his pocket.

Bennett and Avril are still badasses. Those guys plus Clark is going to be something else.

Neat thing about the Seahawks, is that even when they play awful football, they still manage a few big plays a game.

The turf monster gobbled up all of our RBs except Michael. Rawls in particular had a rough time keeping his feet, other than his TD, which was impressive. The 4th string RB had some nice plays, but gave up yards to avoid taking a hit. That's fine if you are Shaun Alexander in a Mike Holmgren offense, but it's not okay with a Pete Carroll team.

Turbin had some plays where I said out loud "Mashawn gets 12 on that." "Marshawn scores on that." But that's not really fair to Turbin I guess. He had a decent, if 'Turbinesque' performance. I think that if you are one of those people who feels that Marshawn is our best player, you'd feel even more strongly about that stance after watching this game.

Thank you Hawks46.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I was in and out of the game but two things primarily stood out:

This O-line needs help. I get that our defense will be elite when we get the stars in and we got some weapons on offense, but I'm not sure this O-line is good enough to win games period. It looked that bad today. Like this season will be wasted on 'em bad. Really hope to see some growth there soon.

Frank Clark was probably game MVP for Seattle. Dude showed up in so many different ways. Lockett obviously looked good on ST.

captSE

Reaction score
I'll tell you what. The rest of the NFC west just sat up and came to attention on Tyler Lockett. I could hear a whole bunch of throat clearing and some "oh boy"s on every play. The kid pretty near caught Percy''s full career Hawk stats in one game haha - at least it seems that way.

Laloosh

Reaction score
vin.couve12":evwvm29v said:
I think there is going to be a lot said about the RB position, but what I didn't see much of from the 2 new guys is the ability to create. Both Rawls and Smith had quite a bit of room and took what was there, but neither created something from nothing, which is a requirement in the NFL and ESPECIALLY behind this OL.

Watching every other RB makes me truly appreciate Marshawn's balance. These other guys fall into tackles that Marshawn runs through.

kearly

Reaction score
rainger":2ma4j3gp said:
Bevell looked like crap

That 4th down call with Archer running a naked bootleg was a major head-scratcher. That call would make sense with BJ Daniels at QB, but not with Archer. It looked like the guy that caught Archer in a foot race outweighed him by at least 60 pounds.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Ugly game on Offense the defense was good at times Lockett and Clark both look like future pro bowlers . Graham hasn't been mentioned much but he looked good out there to. Keep in mind we didn't play our starting offense or defense tonight .

OP
OP
H

Hawks46

Reaction score
Good post vin.couve.

I noticed our backup LEO was literally dog crap at setting an edge. It was #57 (Morgan?)

Let me clarify on Archer. He looked good when he had a pocket, and when he had designed roll outs. He'd better learn how to handle pressure behind this line, but hell, Wilson didn't look that good either. Hard to evaluate.

Kearly, that 4th stringer than ran out of bounds was Smith. That play actually impressed me, as he caught the ball and had two guys bracketting him immediately. Thing is, we're running a hurry up with limited time and no time outs. That's a veteran play to get out of bounds and stop the clock. Also agree that it seemed odd that all of our RB's were just falling down. It seemed like they were running so hard their feet couldn't catch up with their bodies.

Agree on Tye Smith. Like I said, I'm not impressed with our safeties being out of position, and being late to clean up stuff in front of them, but they love to thump and recognition comes with repetition so I'm not stressed about it.

Agree with folks on Kevin Smith.

I thought both Marsh and Clark looked good in pursuit.

I also thought Jesse Williams looked halfway decent out there for being out of football for dang near 2 years.

Also, I'm surprised if McCoy makes the squad. He had about as bad a game as you can have.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
One thing that Kearly pointed out about Marsh was the missed sack. I think he did that twice last year as well where he had the QB dead to rights and whiffed in the first two preseason games. I think he'll get that squared away though. I would hope so anyway.

Tical21

Reaction score
46, you're hired btw. 22 more of these this season. Nice work and TIA

vin.couve12

Reaction score
From Pete Re: Matthews

"He was playing like crazy too on special teams," Carroll said. "He was really doing some great things.”

I saw the same. He was in position on kick coverage as well and completely plugged what was a nice hole before he got there on one kick coverage play. Obviously the punt coverage injury was raw effort as well. AC sprain is what we know so far. 10 days to 2 weeks.

TJack two weeks as well with the "sprained ankle" and Seisay has a "slight" groin pull so....dunno.

http://www.seahawks.com/news/2015/08/14 ... -vs-denver

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Regarding Archer, he seems to have a craftiness about him in some kind of a way, but I noticed that the ball seems like it's in the air too long on those outside throws where it shouldn't. When you talk about making all the throws, he's got a bit of an arm strength issue. I had never really seen him before tonight so that was all new and sort of interesting.

Hawks46":5xx6mdob said:
Good post vin.couve.
Grassyarse!