Is anyone making excuses for the offensive line?

Rob12

Reaction score
I was all last season, because I felt the sacks Russ took were more on him, and less on the line.

But then I watched tonight. And yes, it's preseason. Yes, things are going to be rough around the edges. I am not going to get up in arms over one preseason game, but the offensive line is a massive cause for concern in my eyes. The numbers over the years have not been pretty - Russ faced pressure on 43 percent of his drop backs in 2014, which was the most in the NFL. It was close to the same in 2013. I think it honestly shows the sheer amount of talent on this roster to weather one of the worst pass protecting lines in the NFL over the past three seasons. What I saw tonight (yes, I know, it's preseason) was a line that got beat on nearly every single passing play. How many balls did Archer have to dump off to Smith because our line got blown up? Yes, those are second and third stringers but the problem is if you would have told me that was our first team offensive line out there, I wouldn't have been able to tell the difference. I mean, honestly... For those of you (and I know there are plenty of you here) who don't believe the line is cause for concern, can you back that up with some statistics? Because everything I see, as kearly has often alluded to, is that this is quite possibly the worst group of collective pass blockers that the league has seen over the past three seasons.

I know the scheme we live by, and that means we sacrifice pass protection for an elite run blocking line... But at some point, it would seem that you better find a way to protect your $87 million investment. I feel like Russ plays Russian Roulette far too often, and every game he ends without major injury is a huge sigh of relief.

I'm not panicking or anything, but like others have said, if there's one thing that will bury us this year it's the fact that our line gets manhandled routinely in pass protection. And given that, our Week 1 match up in St. Louis is going to be a hell of a tough game. Their line will be licking their chops.

Someone, anyone, just help me relax about this - and avoid reminding me that this is preseason. We all know that. But we have a three year sample of results and it's not pretty, and I don't see how it won't continue to regress with the group we have now.

OP
OP
Rob12

Rob12

Reaction score
Seafan":25f1vsyp said:
It's preseason.

Yes, with three years of statistical data in the rear view and tonight looked like another collision. I just can't see how this line will magically improve.

Well played, though.

400WattHPSHawk

Reaction score
Rob12":21e7g108 said:
I was all last season, because I felt the sacks Russ took were more on him, and less on the line.

But then I watched tonight. And yes, it's preseason. Yes, things are going to be rough around the edges. I am not going to get up in arms over one preseason game, but the offensive line is a massive cause for concern in my eyes. The numbers over the years have not been pretty - Russ faced pressure on 43 percent of his drop backs in 2014, which was the most in the NFL. It was close to the same in 2013. I think it honestly shows the sheer amount of talent on this roster to weather one of the worst pass protecting lines in the NFL over the past three seasons. What I saw tonight (yes, I know, it's preseason) was a line that got beat on nearly every single passing play. How many balls did Archer have to dump off to Smith because our line got blown up? Yes, those are second and third stringers but the problem is if you would have told me that was our first team offensive line out there, I wouldn't have been able to tell the difference. I mean, honestly... For those of you (and I know there are plenty of you here) who don't believe the line is cause for concern, can you back that up with some statistics? Because everything I see, as kearly has often alluded to, is that this is quite possibly the worst group of collective pass blockers that the league has seen over the past three seasons.

I know the scheme we live by, and that means we sacrifice pass protection for an elite run blocking line... But at some point, it would seem that you better find a way to protect your $87 million investment. I feel like Russ plays Russian Roulette far too often, and every game he ends without major injury is a huge sigh of relief.

I'm not panicking or anything, but like others have said, if there's one thing that will bury us this year it's the fact that our line gets manhandled routinely in pass protection. And given that, our Week 1 match up in St. Louis is going to be a hell of a tough game. Their line will be licking their chops.

Someone, anyone, just help me relax about this - and avoid reminding me that this is preseason. We all know that. But we have a three year sample of results and it's not pretty, and I don't see how it won't continue to regress with the group we have now.

You can go ahead and trust your eyes here.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
It's preseason is a simplistic assessment.

Yes, preseason does not really indicate actual value. But the 1s against the 1s is very often an indicator of relative strength. So the ridiculously horrible (as in one of the worst in Hawk history) performance by the 1s against the 1s is probably an indicator.

You don't get to have it both ways. The other year, our team would shell the other team 1s, and it was a pretty fair indicator of how that would go down later. Sure enough, it did.

Now we are the team being shelled it is a concern.

Preseason stats don't matter because people don' t scheme for the opposing team much and because you call plays to try to ID specific strengths/weaknesses of players you want to evaluate. But you still need to identity team play AND give your 1s time to acclimate to football speed before the season.

So yeah, when a team of 3rd stringers shells another team of 3s, when we both know neither side is likely going to see the field in the regular season? Sure. But when it is your 1s against another group of 1s and they are all playing vanilla schemes and still hand you your *ss? Then it might make sense to be concerned.

Given the ? was whether the Oline could be pieced together and be effective this year? I think the question is closer to being answered, No.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
No need for any of us to preface our opinions "I know it's preseason but"...The fact is, we have no continuity on our OL and it showed big time tonight. Bailey and Britt? Oy Vay. Jeanpierre had that false start which is not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things but it's just the same ol' same ol'...Russell Wilson takes the snap and the pocket collapses INSTANTLY.

He has to run for his life and do what he usually does which is make a play where there is normally no play to make.

We've seen this his entire career with us and we saw it again today. Nothing changes and it's just beyond old. I know there's potential at the line, I know the coaches are working their tails off to get the best out of what they have but our Super Bowl Window - while wide open as it remains - will begin to close quickly if we don't start truly addressing the OL and not just as an afterthought.

It's baffling to me how our pocket instantly - INSTANTLY - collapses once the ball is snapped yet Denver's backup has a nice pocket with some time to throw on nearly every drop back even though their OL is nothing but newbies with no NFL experience (according to what they said during the broadcast).

Why is that?

OP
OP
Rob12

Rob12

Reaction score
Aros":u637wzrk said:
No need for any of us to preface our opinions "I know it's preseason but"...The fact is, we have no continuity on our OL and it showed big time tonight. Bailey and Britt? Oy Vay. Jeanpierre had that false start which is not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things but it's just the same ol' same ol'...Russell Wilson takes the snap and the pocket collapses INSTANTLY.

He has to run for his life and do what he usually does which is make a play where there is normally no play to make.

We've seen this his entire career with us and we saw it again today. Nothing changes and it's just beyond old. I know there's potential at the line, I know the coaches are working their tails off to get the best out of what they have but our Super Bowl Window - while wide open as it remains - will begin to close quickly if we don't start truly addressing the OL and not just as an afterthought.

It's baffling to me how our pocket instantly - INSTANTLY - collapses once the ball is snapped yet Denver's backup has a nice pocket with some time to throw on nearly every drop back even though their OL is nothing but newbies with no NFL experience (according to what they said during the broadcast).

Why is that?

There's no good reason as to why Osweiler had all day to throw for the most part. Denver values a balanced offensive line. Maybe they lean heavy toward pass protection - they do have Peyton, after all.

And yes... "It's preseason" holds about zero water here and that's a direct indictment on the past three seasons. This is a what have you done for me lately league, and over the past three seasons it's been pretty rough... Tonight was just more continuation of that.

I hope they find a way to get these to guys to become mediocre pass blockers.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Rob12":20uqod27 said:

And what a massive upgrade that would be.

OP
OP
Rob12

Rob12

Reaction score
Aros":6hu3swu0 said:
Rob12":6hu3swu0 said:

And what a massive upgrade that would be.

It most definitely would be. Hopefully the 2016 draft can provide some relief. I love our chances to get back again this year, but this is getting to the point where it really, really needs to be addressed.

Just goes to show you more and more how RW is worth every penny, and is the perfect QB for an unfriendly QB offensive system. I can't really think of any other QB in the league who could flourish behind this line.

I watched a few of the plays and Britt and Bailey should be absolutely embarrassed for a handful of plays. Just a horrible showing.

OP
OP
Rob12

Rob12

Reaction score
And I really don't care what the scheme is. As an offensive lineman, your job is to open holes and protect your quarterback. When you are consistently seeing your QB on his ass, you better start taking some pride in what you're doing out there and figure it out.

Now I'm just venting... But I just want to see these guys come together and be respectable pass blockers. It's early, and maybe they will.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I DO get that it was preseason game one (I just broke my rule of preseason prefacing, oh what the hell) and I DO get that we weren't game planning but forget all that. You, as a MAN, making terrific money to play a game AND vying for your very JOB on the team, should play your ASS off in every opportunity you get. Every play, period.

What I saw tonight was a Denver team that pinned their ears back and brought their game. (Probably still pissed off over their 43-8 drubbing in XLVIII but whatever)...Our starting OL looked embarrassingly unprepared for that intensity. To me there is no excuse for not doing your job and protecting your QB at all costs.

Yes, the Von Millers of the world are certainly going to have their way with the Justin Britt's of the world. I get that. But effort can overcome what you lack in raw athletic talent, or I should say help even the playing field.

Exittium

Reaction score
Our offensive line 1st 2nd and 3rd.. maybe 4th's idk.. none of them instilled any kind of confidence I should as a fan be feeling so if one goes down with an injury (OKUNG)(hopefully he doesnt) I'm still worried rather than thinking, Oh its a loss but we got a decent back up.. No we have pure crud.

OP
OP
Rob12

Rob12

Reaction score
Aros":38500aw2 said:
I DO get that it was preseason game one (I just broke my rule of preseason prefacing, oh what the hell) and I DO get that we weren't game planning but forget all that. You, as a MAN, making terrific money to play a game AND vying for your very JOB on the team, should play your ASS off in every opportunity you get. Every play, period.

What I saw tonight was a Denver team that pinned their ears back and brought their game. (Probably still pissed off over their 43-8 drubbing in XLVIII but whatever)...Our starting OL looked embarrassingly unprepared for that intensity. To me there is no excuse for not doing your job and protecting your QB at all costs.

Yes, the Von Millers of the world are certainly going to have their way with the Justin Britt's of the world. I get that. But effort can overcome what you lack in raw athletic talent, or I should say help even the playing field.

I'm with you. And what was worse for me was seeing Sweezy on the sideline smiling it up when his night was over. No dude, there's not much to smile about. I mean, you play a game, have fun... But have some pride, too. Those first two series were brutal when all of our one's were in.

Britt looked so bad out there... I think he looked worse than McCoy. Completely unprepared and got his ass handed to him on nearly every play.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
We have two solid Offensive Linemen. Okung and Sweezy. Two!

Exittium

Reaction score
Aros":6w1o6l6x said:
We have two solid Offensive Linemen. Okung and Sweezy. Two!

1.5 Okung and his injuries just don't do it for me

OP
OP
Rob12

Rob12

Reaction score
http://www.hawkblogger.com/2015/02/the-misunderstood-seahawks-offensive.html

This is a decent article that still applies (with the subtraction of Unger).

Some of it is Russ, and I'll never dispute that... But the numbers were worse than I thought.

I love Tom Cable... I don't want to lose Tom Cable. But with that toughness comes a line that will likely never perform in the top half of teams in pass pro.

I guess this is one of those things that isn't worth discussing because it's stagnant and won't change - you only hope it doesn't get worse, and you hope your QB can withstand it.