Is Russell Wilson a pocket passer ?

Chawker

Reaction score
I'm thinking from what I saw yesterday thats the feeling I got from his performance, only running once if I'm not mistaken.
Starting off the first pre-season with a iffy OL trying to make him sit in the pocket seems to be a little "dangerous". Did anybody else get that feeling thats what the Seahawks are wanting RRuss to do?
Two superbowls in a row I'd hand him the ball and say go gett'em.
cheers

c_hawkbob

Reaction score
First preseason game, 2 very abbreviated series ... way too little to draw any conclusions.

But the answer to your question, based on the previous three season's performance, is yes, when he is called upon to be.

ctrcat

Reaction score
JMO but I'm gonna guess no. It's super silly to take unnecessary shots in preseason. Cam Newton doesn't run in the preseason nor should any mobile QB, and he still had his ribs broken last preseason after trying to get down.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
He'd never be able to do it unless our o'line got it's shit together, and it would be a beytrayal of his HOF-worthy mobility, but he damn well has the passing skills to do it. He'd have to peek though the sight lanes, but every qb has to do that, even prototype android like Peyton Manning.

Ozzy

Reaction score
He has a higher passer rating inside the pocket than Luck does. I'm not worried.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Lords of Scythia":15axjp9j said:
He'd never be able to do it unless our o'line got it's shit together, and it would be a beytrayal of his HOF-worthy mobility, but he damn well has the passing skills to do it. He'd have to peek though the sight lanes, but every qb has to do that, even prototype android like Peyton Manning.
This....... if he is given time he is. Go back and watch XLVIII for proof, good protection all game, and he picked the donks D apart. This discussion begins and ends with the O-line IMHO.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
The only thing that prevents Russ from being a classic pocket passer is the constant lack of a pocket on pass plays.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Chawker":34kg564l said:
I'm thinking from what I saw yesterday thats the feeling I got from his performance, only running once if I'm not mistaken.
Starting off the first pre-season with a iffy OL trying to make him sit in the pocket seems to be a little "dangerous". Did anybody else get that feeling thats what the Seahawks are wanting RRuss to do?
cheers
With the Yearly repetitive faltering of the Seahawks O-Line?, why did they even bother to go out and get Jimmy Graham, or that head case loser, Percy Harvin?
It isn't on Russell Wilson to fix the wussy O-Line.
The inadequate protection from the O-Line dictates what Russell Wilson has to pull out of his posterior cavity to make many broken playS successful.

McG

Reaction score
He is literally not allowed to be. The OL is flat out the worst part of our team, or should I say pass protection. Run blocking isn't really that great either, but you look a lot better when you have Beastmode and RW racking up extra yardage to pad the rushing stats. I just hope they improve from the first pre-season game. The first team OL looked about as good as a mid-level college team going against pros. The backups didn't fair much better. I hope it was due to not being "up" for the game and/or the rain.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Chawker":9g01rf1a said:
cheers

The announcers claimed that the Hawks wanted Russell to stay in the pocket more than he has in the past 3 years, but from what I saw Friday, there isn't much of a pocket for him to stay in.

Russell is the most dangerous when he's outside the pocket and has his run-pass option. Especially given our current woes along the OL, I see no reason why we should try to force Russell to stay in the pocket. Give him a play and let him do the rest and don't worry about whether or not he's staying in the pocket.

SeaChase

Reaction score
I think Wilson does his best on scrambles. He probably feels more comfortable being on the run than being a sitting duck. Plus this can open things up in coverage sometimes.

Ozzy

Reaction score
He's incredible when he uses movement to set up throws, possibly the best in the league. But when they set a pocket his numbers suggest he is much better than people realize. He does struggle with stepping up at times but it's hard to blame him as it's a situation he can't trust. When he does tho his passer rating is very good.

bandiger

Reaction score
Maybe you can bring this up once the Oline has some consistent starters so far we got a bunch of untested players "trying" to pass protect or even run block. I watched the Niners game and they had a better Oline performance than what I saw with this last game.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
RiverDog":1thq2vt1 said:
Chawker":1thq2vt1 said:
cheers

The announcers claimed that the Hawks wanted Russell to stay in the pocket more than he has in the past 3 years, but from what I saw Friday, there isn't much of a pocket for him to stay in.

Russell is the most dangerous when he's outside the pocket and has his run-pass option. Especially given our current woes along the OL, I see no reason why we should try to force Russell to stay in the pocket. Give him a play and let him do the rest and don't worry about whether or not he's staying in the pocket.
Which is why Seattle gets off to slow starts and RW until says "screw it" and starts taking off in the 2nd half and like magic they start scoring points in bunches. This offense is much harder to stop when they DON'T force him to stay in the pocket and the defense can't be over aggressive or RW burns them with his legs. You'd think our OC would have figured it out by now but he is either too stubborn and or too stupid.

Hopefully now that RW is in his 4th year, and gotten his big contract he will decide to take over games sooner.

With this O-line if our OC goes with his usual BS during the Rams game RW will be a sitting duck in the pocket.

Cartire

Reaction score
Whats the constant fascination with pocket passers?

Do we have a QB who wins games a lot? Yes. Then who cares how?

AgentDib

Reaction score
Wilson is more comfortable leaving the pocket then he is stepping up into it. That isn't a negative it is just making the most out of his mobility and height. When he does throw from the pocket he does very well and the addition of big targets will only make that easier. Different QBs have different strengths and it would be silly to shoehorn Russell into a specific role just because you want him to be like some other famous QB.

Cartire

Reaction score
AgentDib":2t9ivggx said:
Wilson is more comfortable leaving the pocket then he is stepping up into it. That isn't a negative it is just making the most out of his mobility and height. When he does throw from the pocket he does very well and the addition of big targets will only make that easier. Different QBs have different strengths and it would be silly to shoehorn Russell into a specific role just because you want him to be like some other famous QB.

:th2thumbs: :13:

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Cartire":zh6d1049 said:

Because the media wants us to believe that a pocket passer is the only true QB, but yet they forget that Steve Young was efficient and was very mobile himself, heck even Elway had some of those, they both won a Superbowl with a great defense and running game.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":1qivk1x3 said:
Cartire":1qivk1x3 said:

Because the media wants us to believe that a pocket passer is the only true QB, but yet they forget that Steve Young was efficient and was very mobile himself, heck even Elway had some of those, they both won a Superbowl with a great defense and running game.

Rodgers is a pocket passer but he also can kill you with his mobility. I mean just look at last year. He had 43 runs, 269 yards and 2TD

Luck also runs a far bit. For his career he has 189 attempts, 905 yards and 12 TD

Hawks46

Reaction score
First of all, you have to have a pocket to be a pocket passer, and Wilson had none last game.

Secondly, Wilson has a lot of pride. I don't think the Seahawks are trying to "make" Wilson anything. We are tailoring our offense to his skills, which means we have a road grading OL that pass blocks poorly (Wilson's mobility negates a lot of penetration), and taller receivers that Wilson can see get open easier.

I would be willing to bet that Wilson wants to be seen as a complete QB and he'll continue to work on his pocket presence and passing from the pocket.