Seahawks might return to the AFC WEST?

HawkMark1976

Reaction score
I heard yesterday on the ESPN Seattle 770AM interview with John Clayton that once a team or two moves to Los Angles a team from NFC West might have to move to AFC west. He and the 2 Interviewers agreed Seattle would be the natural choice to move! I disagree totally. Did Clayton forget those many bad years when Seattle would go 0-8 or 2-6 when playing KC, Denver, Chargers and Raiders twice a year? :(

I pray the Seahawks stay in the NFC West for the next 100 years. :D

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
Supposedly if there was a move the Raiders volunteered for it if they and the Chargers both move to LA.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Two things:

1. John Clayton is always right. Except when he's wrong. A lot.
2. I'd love to be the only team in the NFL to win Super Bowls as both AFC and NFC contestants. I'm also fine with dominating the NFC West instead of dominating the AFC West.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I believe there are good arguments that the Rams or Cards could move to AFC West.

Rams - if they stay in St. Louis, there could be a geographical rivalry between them and Chiefs.
Cards - Geographic rivalry with the Broncos

As it stands, the Seahawks are the only team in history to play in both conference championship games.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
If I remember correctly the Hawks started out in the NFC then was made to move to the AFC then Back to the NFC. I think Mr. Allen should draw a halt to that BS.

Optimus25

Reaction score
Fun to talk about here and with no true basis in reality. But for the love of God, if this happened, we would be the LeBron James' cleveland Cavaliers In the nba east team of the afc. Please please happen. The nfc is a grinder, much like the nba west, and being in the afc would be a walk thru super bowl invitation five of the next 7 years. Especially with Brady and manning aging. If we drew the afc south for scheduling, we could potentially have a five game stretch of raiders, Tennessee. Jacksonville, Houston, raiders. Mmmmmm. Delicious.

kearly

Reaction score
This will be a moot point if the Rams end up in LA, possibly as a 3rd team. I don't think Kroenke will rest until the Rams are back in LA.

irocdave

Reaction score
My hate for Denver, Oakland and KC is still simmering, bring us back to the AFC west! This team can play in any conference or division and be successful.

400WattHPSHawk

Reaction score
I still think in a small way we are still an AFC team. I mean we started out in the NFC and I remember that but, we cut our teeth in the AFC west, To me it's still kinda weird were in the NFC.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":12i0h82c said:
v1rotv2":12i0h82c said:
If I remember correctly the Hawks started out in the NFC then was made to move to the AFC then Back to the NFC. I think Mr. Allen should draw a halt to that BS.

1976 - NFC West
1977-2000 - AFC West
2001-present - NFC West

In 1976 we oddly enough were part of the old NFC Central. The old NFC West was packed.

OrFan

Reaction score
morgulon1":3pd6u3m7 said:
Seahawk Sailor":3pd6u3m7 said:
v1rotv2":3pd6u3m7 said:

1976 - NFC West
1977-2000 - AFC West
2001-present - NFC West

In 1976 we oddly enough were part of the old NFC Central. The old NFC West was packed.

Huh? Am I missing something in what you said? http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/1976/

morgulon1

Reaction score
I stand corrected. I thought they got placed in the central because of Atlanta being in the west at the time.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I really don't care.

But I tell you right now that if this talk is real, 4 teams are sweatin' balls hoping the Hawks stay in the NFC. And 15 teams whose playoff path might go through century link are hoping like hell it is true.

hawks85

Reaction score
I agree that a little part of me sees us as a afc team, but with the current status of the seahawks meaning we are a power house agree to disagree. they wont move us back. all the good teams are in the afc. nfc not much of a powerhouse except us. basically it wouldn't be fair. the nfl is going to try and keep things balanced. hell I don't know maybe I am overthinking this.

hawks85

Reaction score
I agree that a little part of me sees us as a afc team, but with the current status of the seahawks meaning we are a power house agree to disagree. they wont move us back. all the good teams are in the afc. nfc not much of a powerhouse except us. basically it wouldn't be fair. the nfl is going to try and keep things balanced. hell I don't know maybe I am overthinking this.

RiverDog

Reaction score
If both the Radiers and Chargers move to LA, one of them is going to have to leave the division and swap places with a team in the NFC West. The Raiders have one of the most thuggish fan base in all of football. It's so bad that they don't play the 49'ers in preseason anymore due to concerns about security. One could imagine what it would be like if the Raiders and a local rival they were having to share their stadium with met twice a year, perhaps 3 times if they met in the playoffs. They'd have to dig a moat around the playing field and fill it with crocodiles. One of those teams almost certainly would have to leave the AFC West as well as leave the conference.

Since the Seahawks were the only team to be forced to move in the last realignment, my guess is that they'd give us an option, move to the AFC West or stay put. Personally, I'd love to go back to the AFC West and resume our rivalry with the Broncos and Chiefs, two teams with enthusiastic fan bases, and as one poster mentioned, become the first and only team to win both an AFC and an NFC Championship.

I can't see 3 teams moving to LA. For one, the league has already said that they will only assist financially with one stadium plan. Right now, St. Louis is ahead of both Oakland and San Diego in their stadium efforts and recently won a victory in that they do not need to put their stadium plan to a public vote, so it looks like either the Raiders and/or Chargers will be moving, and it could happen as early as next year with a new stadium ready by 2019.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
The AFC west is a lot more difficult than our famed NFC west right now. Especially if we were to trade spots with the Raiders. However the AFC as a whole is probably an easier path to the Superbowl.