Overview of the Denver game.

chris98251

Reaction score
We seen a lot of things the other night some good some bad, what I want to bring to the forefront is that we are in a big evaluation mode.

O line, it was never going to look good, they have been rotating players all of camp, most don't know the whole scheme, the line calls, the blocking assignments and many have never lined up against guys as fast, quick, strong as the seen in this game. Also they have had just a few opportunities to work together cohesively.

This was about one on one matchups and being able to analyze them in a certain situation by the staff as individuals and as a group paired in situations we have no idea about.

The RB's are only going to look as good as the execution of the line, the look there is did the back hit the hole he was suppose to, did he fight for yards, did he fumble etc, on pass plays did he make the read and pick up a person to block or get into the pattern and run the right route. How did he do after initial contact, does he keep moving his legs. Also as many said the turf was tripping players up, that could be a shoe issue, cleats or grips on the soles too long and causing them to trip, it's a learning experience for these guys.

WR's seeing how the run routes, do they get alligator arms, lose focus in traffic, fight for the ball.

DB's this is a place where as a group they may look bad since they have no real general out there that knows and makes the calls like Earl yet, same can be said for the LB'S without Wagner in there. It's about technique, recognition and whether they played the play how the defense was suppose to. Again match ups, the Unit can look bad if one player doesn't perform and leave a zone open or plays bad angles, this is what is being looked at.

D line we had the least amount of new players involved, not a wonder that they looked the best out there as a group. Even the guys they wanted to look at most had time in the system, few exceptions, mostly the look is to see how they hold gaps and get to the ball and keep the Lineman from getting to another level.

Next week I think we selected players put in situations once again as they start making cuts, it may be ugly but better to be really ugly now then ugly in 4 weeks.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
chris98251":30dxz1sq said:
We seen a lot of things the other night some good some bad, what I want to bring to the forefront is that we are in a big evaluation mode.

O line, it was never going to look good, they have been rotating players all of camp, most don't know the whole scheme, the line calls, the blocking assignments and many have never lined up against guys as fast, quick, strong as the seen in this game. Also they have had just a few opportunities to work together cohesively.

This was about one on one matchups and being able to analyze them in a certain situation by the staff as individuals and as a group paired in situations we have no idea about.

The RB's are only going to look as good as the execution of the line, the look there is did the back hit the hole he was suppose to, did he fight for yards, did he fumble etc, on pass plays did he make the read and pick up a person to block or get into the pattern and run the right route. How did he do after initial contact, does he keep moving his legs. Also as many said the turf was tripping players up, that could be a shoe issue, cleats or grips on the soles too long and causing them to trip, it's a learning experience for these guys.

WR's seeing how the run routes, do they get alligator arms, lose focus in traffic, fight for the ball.

DB's this is a place where as a group they may look bad since they have no real general out there that knows and makes the calls like Earl yet, same can be said for the LB'S without Wagner in there. It's about technique, recognition and whether they played the play how the defense was suppose to. Again match ups, the Unit can look bad if one player doesn't perform and leave a zone open or plays bad angles, this is what is being looked at.

D line we had the least amount of new players involved, not a wonder that they looked the best out there as a group. Even the guys they wanted to look at most had time in the system, few exceptions, mostly the look is to see how they hold gaps and get to the ball and keep the Lineman from getting to another level.

Next week I think we selected players put in situations once again as they start making cuts, it may be ugly but better to be really ugly now then ugly in 4 weeks.

I like your vision here. I did not see the game but expect to see the one on Friday.....The players are trying to show that they earn the position they have been chosen for....or have been changed to for a better fit in our system. Adaptability is a key within our system.

Go Hawks.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Bill Assumpcao":1i7gbcou said:
Practice...we talkin' about practice.*

Go Hawks,
BillA

*I didn't think that up all by myself ;)
Exactly.
I like to call 'em glorified scrimmages.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Honestly, I think it's disingenuous to just write it off like that.

Obviously in 2013, Seattle was extremely proficient even in a practice setting. Even if it is dumbed down -- remember that it works both ways. Other teams are similarly dealing with 'practice and evaluation' issues.

Seattle has mentioned in this offseason that our depth is similar to 2013. A liability that was touched on in 2014 and one that arose at the most inopportune time (SB49).

In my opinion, these preseason games do matter. Many of these players will be counted on to perform due to attrition. Further many of these players are going to elevate to more prominent roles going forward as our roster model now demands it. We are intentionally moving to a roster of key expensive players with the bulk of our team being filled out with short term rookie deal starters.

We weren't dismissing the quality of our depth players in the 2013 preseason. And we saw what attrition in depth meant last year. We saw the depth wasn't as strong in preseason and that lack of quality depth manifested itself in the regular season and postseason.

Clearly our OL and our DB depth had a rough go of it last week. It needs to be much better. These are guys that will end up having to produce when the games matter. These two position groups were areas of concern heading into TC and the performance last week has not done anything to ease those concerns. If anything it's magnified them. Certainly I would say the concerns are well justified and merit watching more closely as preseason moves along.

Going forward with the cap strategy we've enacted -- Seattle is putting a premium on their ability to churn over and rely on young starters. The OL is clearly going to be the position group we go cheap on in order to finance the higher expense on defense. WRs are probably going to do so to a lesser extent also. This being the case, club control is going to figure more prominently there on which players we retain.