Any one have good knowledge of 3 TECH DT'S?

danp1990

Reaction score
Based on technique and stats like 10yard split, bench press reps emulating strength of O-linemen Etc. Etc... ill post these numbers . Im just asking if they appear to be from a DT Who might have great upside you know?

Height: 6002
Weight: 299
40 Yrd Dash: 4.96
20 Yrd Dash: 2.95
10 Yrd Dash: 1.75
Vertical Jump: 29
225 Lb. Bench press : 25
Broad Jump: 08'11"
20 Yrd 4.81
3 Cone Drill 7.00

hawknation2015

Reaction score
There is only so much you can tell just from measurables. All of those times are almost exactly average for a Seahawk defensive tackle, except for the 7.0 3-cone, which is freakish for 300 pounder. Typically, you want a guy who is a little taller, with corresponding length, playing the three technique. But some guys are so explosive, i.e. Aaron Donald, Jurrell Casey, etc., that they can excel at the position even without that prototypical length.

OP
OP
D

danp1990

Reaction score
Reason I posted this was because last yr. When we were dead thin at DT heading down the stretch I liked when we picked up T.Y McGill off of Atlanta squad. And then saw a small glimpse of what he did Friday, I was very impressed with his penetration! So I looked at his bio and it looks impressive to me but wanted knowledgeable opinions. Thanks Hawknation!

hawknation2015

Reaction score
danp1990":1ze2m1x1 said:
Reason I posted this was because last yr. When we were dead thin at DT heading down the stretch I liked when we picked up T.Y McGill off of Atlanta squad. And then saw a small glimpse of what he did Friday, I was very impressed with his penetration! So I looked at his bio and it looks impressive to me but wanted knowledgeable opinions. Thanks Hawknation!

McGill looked excellent in that game. Fast off the ball, powerful at the point of attack, nasty use of hands, disruptive. I hope he keeps it up against a better offensive line. Broncos' offensive line is going to be one of the worst in the league this year.

Pretty much every defensive tackle on our roster looked amazing in that first game: McGill, Scruggs, Staten, etc.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I'm not an expert by any means but my understanding of 3-tech DT (a good one) is they're responsible for providing an interior pass rush plus supporting the run through the middle. Michael Bennett played this role in 2013 and did an excellent job. Jordan Hill was doing this last year before he got hurt. Some of the decent 3-techs are N. Suh, Geno Atkins, Kyle Williams, etc.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
hawkfan68":30qowp40 said:
I'm not an expert by any means but my understanding of 3-tech DT (a good one) is they're responsible for providing an interior pass rush plus supporting the run through the middle. Michael Bennett played this role in 2013 and did an excellent job. Jordan Hill was doing this last year before he got hurt. Some of the decent 3-techs are N. Suh, Geno Atkins, Kyle Williams, etc.

You're on point. Not to get too nitpicky (which I know I have a tendency to do) but Bennett played a lot more at the four technique or inside four technique, in that B gap, than he did at the three technique.

Even though he doesn't have that prototypical size, I would actually like to see Frank Clark get some opportunity to play three technique in the base defense. His run stopping ability is pretty incredible. Much better than Rubin, IMO. It would be a shame if he were limited to just the nickel defense and backup reps behind Bennett/Avril.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
danp1990":292ujtv3 said:
My personal favorite of time was John Randle. Righr now Suh and that damn Aaron Donald! He's a beast.

Randle was outstanding. Still can't believe he wasn't drafted. Reggie White played some DT but is known more for his time at DE. Another current one is Muhammad Wilkerson, Jets.

OP
OP
D

danp1990

Reaction score
Haha my last post I sounded like I was having a stroke. Im doing this on my phone and it always corrects me in an incorrect way Lol.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
hawknation2015":222rklbo said:
hawkfan68":222rklbo said:

You're on point. Not to get too nitpicky (which I know I have a tendency to do) but Bennett played a lot more at the four technique or inside four technique, in that B gap, than he did at the three technique.

Even though he doesn't have that prototypical size, I would actually like to see Frank Clark get some opportunity to play three technique in the base defense. His run stopping ability is pretty incredible. Much better than Rubin, IMO. It would be a shame if he were limited to just the nickel defense and backup reps behind Bennett/Avril.

Thanks HN2015. Not nitpicky at all. I appreciate the insight and clarification. Your explanation makes sense.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
McGill is a rookie though, right?

With so many DTs free agents next year, Seahawks would be smart to keep some on roster to learn.

I thought Dobbs would be a keeper but if Staten and McGill continue to show progression their upside and club control could force them on roster over King, Dobbs, Scruggs, Williams, and Smith.

Though thier inexperience could come back to bite the Seahawks considering Rubin, Hill, and Mebane had injury marred seasons last year.

Chawker

Reaction score
One of our DTs had a pass deflection, which I'd like to see more from our DTs. If you can't sack the qb then get those mitts up and be as disruptive as possible. It works!

ivotuk

Reaction score
Chawker":c4iq7sym said:
One of our DTs had a pass deflection, which I'd like to see more from our DTs. If you can't sack the qb then get those mitts up and be as disruptive as possible. It works!

Jesse Williams I believe. #90 played like his hair was on fire. I was extremely impressed. Staten looked pretty good, surprised they cut him. McGill looked really good.

I think they got lucky in the DL department this year, although it's early.

netskier

Reaction score
I believe I saw Staten deflect a pass. Don't know about anyone else.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
After going undrafted as a defensive tackle out of North Carolina State, T.Y. McGill decided the only option was to work even harder to prove he belonged in the NFL.

“It definitely was a motivational thing that I didn’t get drafted,” McGill said. “It gave me more motivation to come in and prove what I have. That’s how I looked at it. I told my family I was going to work as hard as I can and not have any regrets after it’s over.”

There was just one problem for the McGill. Nobody was calling.

Plenty of undrafted rookies make their mark in the NFL, but most who show up to training camp and make an impression are players who, despite going undrafted, are sought-after players who have multiple teams offering contracts and even modest signing bonuses the moment the draft ends.

That was not McGill’s draft weekend experience. No, McGill not only went undrafted, he went unsigned the day after the draft and for many more to come. In fact, only one team, the Seahawks, offered a tryout at their rookie minicamp.
“This was the only team that gave me a shot to come in for the minicamp,” he said.

http://www.seahawks.com/news/2015/08/18 ... y-seahawks

McGill's 7.0 second 3-cone is one of the fastest times I have seen from a man his size.

Chawker

Reaction score
I didn't like what I saw from Rubin. DeAnthony Smith I thought looked solid playing DT. And Jesse Williams played real stout again against the run.