Britt practicing at left guard, Gilliam at RT

Tical21

Reaction score
ivotuk":2mx9qag7 said:
It means Gilliam, a former Tight End, is much lighter on his feet.
Also means Gilliam had a good game and Britt, at least in pass pro, did not.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Always compete. I think they are sending a message to Britt that he needs to improve.

Still think Britt is a better overall player than Gilliam, so we will see where this leads.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DaveBoling/status/633334411442806785[/tweet]

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Just this morning, a co-worker and I were talking about this.

I was like let's move Britt to left guard and find someone for right tackle.

Interesting development.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
It certainly isn't a ringing endorsement of what we're getting from Britt at RT or the performance of the unit as a collective. But, you know, a position change worked wonders for Unger and, to an extent, Carpenter. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Britt was doing badly at RT so it's not that weird to see them moving him away from that position, he's still too good to simply discard though, thus trying him out at LG (the most open position at the moment) isn't a bad idea at all.

Gilliam is simply the next man up behind Britt. Maybe he surprises us with consistent play, we'll see.

Mojambo

Reaction score
Good decision.

Gilliam will have his issues at RT, but Britt has a MUCH better chance at G.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":er8eo2sb said:
Just this morning, a co-worker and I were talking about this.

I was like let's move Britt to left guard and find someone for right tackle.

Interesting development.

I've been banging the drum about guard being Britt's best position for a while. I still don't know whether Gilliam is ready to be a starter. But I strongly suspect he is not.

Jville

Reaction score
Gosh ...... this sounds so familiar.

Justin Britt looking at a possible Robert Gallery / James Carpenter type move.

And, Gary Gilliam getting a Breno Giacominia opportunity.

cover-2

Reaction score
This doesn't really surprise me considering how bad Britt played and how good Gilliam played at LT.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Hard to feel good about this for two reasons:

1. They haven't even hinted or attempted to move Britt to guard until after that Denver game. Other players have mixed around different positions. So that's either a review of Britt's lack of development at RT or they are really concerned about LG and are taking a look to see if Britt can answer that question.

2. It's another right tackle prospect who has ultimately struggled, despite being drafted in the top two rounds, and is now facing a change to guard.

The Britt pick was a major reach in 2014 and they took him because he was the last guy they liked for a while and they didn't have a third round pick. It seemed like a strange decision at the time and remains so. They could've had Bitonio at #32 and just taken the best remaining WR from a loaded class. It's easy to say that in hindsight but it all seemed a bit disjointed and fighting the board. Jarvis Landry -- a really gritty, competitive player with a lack of speed went one pick ahead of Britt. Martavis Bryant went in round four and Donte Moncrief in R3.

Fudwamper

Reaction score
To me it means nothing, rotating o-line so everyone knows what everyone is doing. Gilliam is getting reps most likely because he would be the first sub for brit.

Melencause

Reaction score
Honestly, I like this move. Gilliam did well against Avril today. Seems to have quicker footwork.
Britt has shorter arms and projects better as a guard anyways.

Rob12

Reaction score
Hope it works. Right now, Britt is an absolute terrible right tackle.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Fudwamper":20u6lk4l said:
To me it means nothing, rotating o-line so everyone knows what everyone is doing. Gilliam is getting reps most likely because he would be the first sub for brit.

This is a good point.

In Britt's defense, he was beaten by one of the premier pass rushers in the league.

So like Fudwamper said, it could mean nothing.

EDIT: Von Miller in the seasons he's started 15/16/16 games is 11.5, 18.5 and 14 sacks.