Question

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
Why don't we covet a pass protection coach to teach up our offensive line? Hire Steve Hutchinson or a special assistant. I don't understand why we can't do both run and pass blocking, it doesn't seem to hurt the Cowboys??? This is ridiculous.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Cant have elite skill players all over the roster. Its too expensive.

They have invested in the defense, QB, RB and TE. That means we have to get creative elsewhere. They believe they can make it work with the O line.

Also, run first is the mantra so run blocking is the key.

Finally, we have an escape artist for a QB. Any other QB last season and we dont win even 9 games.

King Dog

Reaction score
Seems weird to covet what the Cowboys have when we're the ones going to the Super Bowl each year :(

Bigbadhawk

Reaction score
King Dog":3oqruu7f said:
Seems weird to covet what the Cowboys have when we're the ones going to the Super Bowl each year :(

And that has what to do with the OP original question or even what HawkNation was referring too? :34853_doh:

King Dog

Reaction score
Bigbadhawk":e938cn59 said:
King Dog":e938cn59 said:

And that has what to do with the OP original question or even what HawkNation was referring too? :34853_doh:

It comes down to who you want to pay. We've made our choices and the results have been good :34853_doh:

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
King Dog":1hesnrpz said:
Bigbadhawk":1hesnrpz said:
King Dog":1hesnrpz said:

It comes down to who you want to pay. We've made our choices and the results have been good :34853_doh:
Considering that the OP is talking about bringing in a COACH, I'm not sure what some of you are talking about. Did you walk to school or take a sack lunch?

Hawks46

Reaction score
As a unit, the Seahawks OL last year was elite at run blocking, but that doesn't mean every OLman was elite.

I also haven't heard any written or unwritten rules stating that if you're good at run blocking, then you have to be terrible at pass blocking. If you're a good run blocker and an average pass blocker that doesn't make an elite OLman. For example, I've seen on this site many times that folks think Sweezy is elite. He grades out as a very good run blocker, but a poor pass blocker. I don't see how that's elite, and I don't see how he's going to over price himself come FA time.

If our OL was just league average across the board as pass protection, and we coupled that with Wilson's elite escape ability, our pass game would improve enormously. Go back and look at Cable's OL's over the years. All of them have been very good at run blocking, and not a one of them was ranked better than 26th as pass protection. So, 10 or so years of different offensive lines every year, and I don't even know how many players, and NONE of them can pass block ? Seriously ?

The common denominator is Cable. At some point, people are going to have to accept the fact that either Cable doesn't know how to teach pass blocking very well, or philosophically he doesn't give a crap about pass blocking. The original post has some merit, I don't see why we don't bring in a guy that can coach up the pass pro. At some point, Wilson is going to slow down and he's going to get crushed.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":2wyxvcg1 said:
Cant have elite skill players all over the roster. Its too expensive.

They have invested in the defense, QB, RB and TE. That means we have to get creative elsewhere. They believe they can make it work with the O line.

Also, run first is the mantra so run blocking is the key.

Finally, we have an escape artist for a QB. Any other QB last season and we dont win even 9 games.

No, some damned fools think that if we had Andrew Luck on the roster, that would fix everything LOLOLOLOL.
Let's be honest here guys, by League standards, the Seahawks O-Line is anemic, and relying solely on Russell Wilson to make up for it's garbage play, is a fools mission.
Wilson is human, and It will come to bite them in the ass, if they don't address the Pass Protect aspect of their game plans.
IF he gets hurt because of their neglect, the run for winning it all again, will be all over with.
Keeping Russell Wilson healthy is key to the Seahawks success.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Just another case of preseason hysteria. We lost one meaningless game where our starters barely played in and we're doomed for the season? The Offensive Line looked bad but there was a lot of experimentation going on at the time. It's not like we're much worse than the last two seasons when we got to the Superbowl.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
There is no limitation on the number of coaches you can have. Right now, the Seahawks have three offensive line coaches. Cable, long-time Carroll assistant Pat Ruel, and he brought in his son, Brennan Carroll, this year. You have to think this is the number they feel comfortable with coaching the offensive line.

The reason the Cowboys' offensive line is successful is because they have devoted numerous resources to it, namely draft picks in the First Round and cap space, i.e. Tyron Smith's 8 yr/$97.6 million extension.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3qxwxhmj said:
There is no limitation on the number of coaches you can have. Right now, the Seahawks have three offensive line coaches. Cable, long-time Carroll assistant Pat Ruel, and he brought in his son, Brennan Carroll, this year. You have to think this is the number they feel comfortable with coaching the offensive line.

The reason the Cowboys' offensive line is successful is because they have devoted numerous resources to it, namely draft picks in the First Round and cap space, i.e. Tyron Smith's 8 yr/$97.6 million extension.

Yes, they are a very talented group, but whoever mentioned coaching has a point. The Cowboys OL began seriously improving from 2012-2014 under Bill Callahan. Even when Callahan started calling the plays in 2013 the was still heavily involved with coaching their OL. Somehow Callahan has had a history of developing well-rounded OL players wherever he goes.

akscoundrel

Reaction score
Hawks46":14wm0su7 said:
As a unit, the Seahawks OL last year was elite at run blocking, but that doesn't mean every OLman was elite.

I also haven't heard any written or unwritten rules stating that if you're good at run blocking, then you have to be terrible at pass blocking. If you're a good run blocker and an average pass blocker that doesn't make an elite OLman. For example, I've seen on this site many times that folks think Sweezy is elite. He grades out as a very good run blocker, but a poor pass blocker. I don't see how that's elite, and I don't see how he's going to over price himself come FA time.

If our OL was just league average across the board as pass protection, and we coupled that with Wilson's elite escape ability, our pass game would improve enormously. Go back and look at Cable's OL's over the years. All of them have been very good at run blocking, and not a one of them was ranked better than 26th as pass protection. So, 10 or so years of different offensive lines every year, and I don't even know how many players, and NONE of them can pass block ? Seriously ?

The common denominator is Cable. At some point, people are going to have to accept the fact that either Cable doesn't know how to teach pass blocking very well, or philosophically he doesn't give a crap about pass blocking. The original post has some merit, I don't see why we don't bring in a guy that can coach up the pass pro. At some point, Wilson is going to slow down and he's going to get crushed.

Disagreed. Run blocking has been average, perhaps *slightly* above average. Don't be giving credit due to lynch and Wilson to cable.

Lynch, the guy who's game is breaking tackles and making people miss, is who is making it all happen. Lynch's vision and footwork is what makes it happen. If we had a sorry back like some Trent Richardson, who only runs into the hole that the play calls for, we would have been in trouble a long time ago.

That said, because we have a lynch and a Wilson, I can live with average run blocking. I refuse to accept terrible pass blocking tho. Terrible was the last few years. Amazingly, we have managed to regress from terrible into something worse. They don't need to be all pro, but simply improving shouldn't be too much to ask for?

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Yeah hiring more coaches doesn't fix an issue.

When it comes to the OL, especially, the Hawks draft traits not production. Our OL woes get overblown because it's an obvious "weakness" because the team is so elite at so many other position groups so comparatively speaking the OL looks bad. But it's not bad, it will be a good run blocking line once again with lapses in pass pro.

In the salary cap era it's impossible to have every position group elite, the Hawks have very wisely decided to make their OL patchwork in a way that really, really works to the success of the team

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
akscoundrel":3a81876k said:
Hawks46":3a81876k said:

Disagreed. Run blocking has been average, perhaps *slightly* above average. Don't be giving credit due to lynch and Wilson to cable.

Lynch, the guy who's game is breaking tackles and making people miss, is who is making it all happen. Lynch's vision and footwork is what makes it happen. If we had a sorry back like some Trent Richardson, who only runs into the hole that the play calls for, we would have been in trouble a long time ago.

That said, because we have a lynch and a Wilson, I can live with average run blocking. I refuse to accept terrible pass blocking tho. Terrible was the last few years. Amazingly, we have managed to regress from terrible into something worse. They don't need to be all pro, but simply improving shouldn't be too much to ask for?
I love Lynch but he doesn't even rank in the top 10 in terms of RBs getting hit in the backfield. So let's not pretend he does everything single handedly.