Bevell talks about THE play

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Will. Not. Click.

Will. Not. Read.

Can't do it, won't do it!

Reaneypark

Reaction score
Interesting read. Now, just go out and win it this year, Bevell.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
If it were just one play, I would be more understanding of his plea for sympathy. But the abandoning of our greatest weapon was a continual theme of the season. Remember six carries for Marshawn against SD? Consecutive passes on first and second down. Multiple Percy Harvin bubble screens and stretch plays. 10 carries against the Cowboys? Once again, not giving Marshawn the ball in the red zone. There is only so much blame you can place on Harvin, whom Bevell coached with the Vikings. Remember Bevell saying we would be using a "running back by committee" before the season began? He needs to take some damn responsibility and admit his own errors as a play caller.

"Even though we had that play, last year was the most successful offense in the history of the Seahawks."

We averaged 24.6 points per game and were 20th in the league in red zone TD-scoring percentage, despite having two great red zone weapons in Marshawn Lynch and Russell Wilson. In 2005, we were 2nd in the league in red zone scoring and averaged 28.3 points per game. :34853_doh:

dopeboy206

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":1l8qoyvv said:
Will. Not. Click.

Will. Not. Read.

This. Bevell has been dead to me since the SB.

erik2690

Reaction score
It's interesting that he polled 3 QB's and 2 coaches and none said run was the best call there. It's always struck me that 'just hand it off' was way less of this obvious thing then fans make it out to be. I still dislike the call, but it doesn't seem like it's an insider consensus that "run" was what needed to happen.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
erik2690":28ht57v8 said:
It's interesting that he polled 3 QB's and 2 coaches and none said run was the best call their. It's always struck me that 'just hand it off' was way less of this obvious thing then fans make it out to be. I still dislike the call, but it doesn't seem like it's an insider consensus that "run" was what needed to happen.

Im fine with a pass...What im not fine with

1. It wasnt Playaction
2. Russell Had no option of rolling out

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":1p8veao8 said:
Will. Not. Click.

Will. Not. Read.

THIS! Not interested in his excuses. Judging by the responses in this thread, he still hasn't accepted the responsibility which is typical DB.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
erik2690":2198xfvf said:
It's interesting that he polled 3 QB's and 2 coaches and none said run was the best call their. It's always struck me that 'just hand it off' was way less of this obvious thing then fans make it out to be. I still dislike the call, but it doesn't seem like it's an insider consensus that "run" was what needed to happen.

LOL, three QBs and two coaches is now considered an insider consensus? It is actually the perfect example of a hasty generalization fallacy, i.e. reaching an inductive generalization based on insufficient evidence. Most former QBs that I know always want to pass.

According to Football Outsiders, the Patriots were the worst team in the league in power-running situations. Marshawn scored a TD earlier in the game against a goal line formation. Meanwhile, we were the 2nd best power running team in the league with a 78% success rate.

rideaducati

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":39gbnxas said:
erik2690":39gbnxas said:

1. It wasnt Playaction

I'm fine with a pass too, what I'm not fine with is the personnel used the way it was used.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
I wake up. Feeling good about the day. Excited about a preseason game tomorrow. Eagerly anticipating the start of the season...then I click on this thread and those damn pit in the bottom of my stomache, just run the fricken ball anxiety returned! Gee, thanks for bringing it back up. Can we all just put it behind us and move on?!

Jville

Reaction score
Moving on is a life skill.

There are probably some who still can't get over the Hutchinson/Viking poison pill play.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
rideaducati":1isvwka4 said:
WilsonMVP":1isvwka4 said:
erik2690":1isvwka4 said:

1. It wasnt Playaction

I'm fine with a pass too, what I'm not fine with is the personnel used the way it was used.

Oh, definitely, the personnel decision was a disgrace. Ricardo Lockette, a player with fewer than 20 career catches, has never in his life scored a TD in the red zone. Meanwhile, 6'5 Chris Matthews had been playing out of his mind.

Bevell has a stubborn streak and a strong tendency to ignore present game conditions, like who is playing well.

RastaHawk12!

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":1a748vl5 said:
erik2690":1a748vl5 said:

1. It wasnt Playaction

This. Exactly.

Eight men in the box, Russell is strong rolling out, chances are one defender between him and his fade - route receiver, and...

... here I am reliving this thing!!!

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Imagine how relieved the Patriots must have been to see us lined up in the shotgun from the one-yard line. They suckered Bevell into calling that stupid play . . . and they were ready for it, having practiced it that week. :34853_doh:

Not to mention the fact that a Russell Wilson INT is FOUR TIMES more likely than a Marshawn Lynch fumble.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I'm giving the ball to Lynch with out hesitation but if you have to pass in that situation then give the best running passing QB in the NFL the option! With this play call we take away both Lynch and Russell Wilson's strengths.

bandiger

Reaction score
Still believe it was a dumb playcall when you take into account the players involved. Screw that, this stubborn fool gets no forgiveness from me. Couldn't use a tight end or big dude to throw that risky pass.