Hawks should impose a deadline w/ Kam

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Tell him he shows up by X date or they will collect on the bill. Every once in awhile a public execution is needed.

Jville

Reaction score
^^^ Now here is a man that had red meat for breakfast.

Steak and eggs I presume.

Donn2390

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":3nrl1oep said:
Tell him he shows up by X date or they will collect on the bill. Every once in awhile a public execution is needed.
I agree, be a man and honor your contract. If you don't like it go somewhere else when your contract is up. I've had enough of these children... They need to be spanked...!!

CalgaryHawk

Reaction score
If you were the Hawks GM, how many regular season games does Kam have to hold out for before you start shopping him around the league? 4 games? Or would you just let him continue to sit out even if he ends up missing the entire season in the hope that he eventually returns and to make a point that your team will stand firm in its contact position.

Unless some team offers a late 1st or early 2nd round pick for Kam, I'd let him continue to hold out without trying to trade him.

jblaze

Reaction score
Yeah this is getting a bit long in the tooth and you can tell Pete is getting pissed about the whole thing when he comments on it as of late.

3 years left on a deal that has him already as one of the highest paid strong safeties in the NFL means he has no leverage but he doesn't seem to care about that.

I think a deadline is a great idea.

Not playing regular season games with Kam would be bad, setting a precedent of re-doing contracts with 3 years left on them at already high market value would be worse.

Jville

Reaction score
Those lying lawyers.......... they just play with our emotions.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/AlvinKeels/status/326420539612741634[/tweet]

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
John's arguably the most hands on up front GM's in the entire league, I'm sure he's in communication with Kam and his agent about how the Hawks are going to handle this situation with fines if Kam decides to hold out into the season.

The problem isn't the fines, the problem is Kam is a man of great honesty and conviction.................which is awesome when he's stealing fool's souls out on the field. But not so awesome when he's holding out.

I honestly don't think Kam cares about the fines if he believes he's just in what he's doing. Considering the holdout's lasted this long tells us that he's content and confident in his conviction to not play until he gets what he feels is a fair deal.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
OK the Hawks give Chancellor a deadline and he still doesn't show up, they collect his money which presently isn't on the books b/c he hasn't reported, then what?

Do they trade him, and transfer his contract gripes elsewhere or cut him or just let him sit for the season?

It's easy to be a hard liner, but it doesn't help necessarily with the personnel issue. My sense is that Keels has misjudged this situation to the detriment of his client who won't get paid anything if he doesn't show up. Contractually I'd also suspect the team may be able to recover some of Kam's signing bonus but likely wouldn't.

This may drag on until it is clear to Kam the team won't do what he wants, or meet his holdout with a compromise that involves new money. He's already one of the top paid SS in the NFL.

Chancellor doesn't have much leverage here.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Jville":2mqfbfwz said:
Those lying lawyers.......... they just play with our emotions.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/AlvinKeels/status/326420539612741634[/tweet]

I don't think Keels is an attorney, but your point is well taken. He has been accused of underhanded tactics before.

The NFL Players Association has issued a disciplinary complaint against up-and-coming agent Alvin Keels alleging that he arranged for a $200,000 loan that he knew or should have known was paid for by an NFL player, in violation of the union’s agent regulations.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Jour ... -Loan.aspx

Keels refused to continue representing his former client Larry Johnson.
"I did, indeed, decide to resign as Larry agent's this past Monday," Keels said in a statement.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3675871

He convinced Byron Maxwell to dump his agent just before free agency.
Byron Maxwell, who decided to switch agents right before free agency, is expected to hire Alvin Keels to represent him, according to a source with knowledge of the situation. He fired his previous agent, Jason Chayut.

http://sidelinesportsreport.com/free-ag ... new-agent/

He recently touted the signing of Junior Galette . . . for the league minimum.
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AlvinKeels/status/627148401235337217[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AlvinKeels/status/627150044467232768[/tweet]

But, yeah, calling it a "#trueblessing" and saying the deal runs through 2017 . . . and now saying Kam will not play this season without a new deal is kind of pathetic.

Keels: “Everyone thinks agents are all snakes or crooks. That’s not the case at all. I’m a family man, a man of God, and I believe in being honest.”

http://www.playersvoice.com/Latest/young-enough.html

Hmmm, it seems he is doing a poor job of straying from that reputation.

Many of today’s so-called "top agents" have a list of superstars, but many of their clients are unhappy with their contracts. At Global Management, you will be hard pressed to find a client unhappy with his contract.

:34853_doh:

OP
OP
ImTheScientist

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
CalgaryHawk":emamzsol said:
If you were the Hawks GM, how many regular season games does Kam have to hold out for before you start shopping him around the league? 4 games? Or would you just let him continue to sit out even if he ends up missing the entire season in the hope that he eventually returns and to make a point that your team will stand firm in its contact position.

Unless some team offers a late 1st or early 2nd round pick for Kam, I'd let him continue to hold out without trying to trade him.

Shopping him gives him what he wants. Then it will encourage others to act this same way. Its his career and his money. He is only getting older and costing himself.

Polaris

Reaction score
I hate to say it but I have to agree. Kam and/or his agent seem to be suffering from certain illusions (such as the Seahawks are Cap-Rich which simply isn't true).

I would make the deadline the first week of the season. Get in by then, or:

1. The Seahawks will formally demand all accrued fines.
2. The Seahawks will explore a trade....if a trade can't be finalized by week 9 and Kam is still a no-show, then he'll be cut.

Polaris

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":1gdrr0uu said:
CalgaryHawk":1gdrr0uu said:

Shopping him gives him what he wants. Then it will encourage others to act this same way. Its his career and his money. He is only getting older and costing himself.

Normally I'd agree, but I think in this case, such a threat would have real teeth. I'm not sure Kam realizes this (his agent should) but Kam is already getting top Strong Safety money. In fact when Kam signed his deal, the consensus was that the 'hawks had overpaid him. If he's traded or outright cut, especially coming off injury, I think Kam would be lucky to make half of what he's slated to make if he just reports.

I think Kam is getting some really bad advice.

Tical21

Reaction score
This is kind of becoming a nightmare. The Seahawks have to impose those fines. They can't send a signal that this is okay and holdouts will be forgiven. They also can't give him more money, or they wake up the next morning with a line out their door, with Mr. Bennett standing in front.

Kam also seems too prideful to come back to camp with his tail between his legs.

The other option is to give Kam the ten digits that belong to Mr. Mebane. Tell him to dial, and have him tell Mr. Mebane that because Kam is demanding much more money than he signed for two years ago, a deal that the Seahawks at the time got blasted for because it was so expensive, Mr. Mebane will have to find employment elsewhere.

One of these times, they have to send one of these guys to Cleveland. Hopefully not Kam, but it has to be done, or we're going to deal with this every year.

I don't think there is much of a chance that the agent has anything to do with this. Even the dumbest of agents would know that there is no chance of Kam getting what he wants.

Chawker

Reaction score
The way I see it, when you shake on a deal or sign a contract its up to both parties to understand there responsibilities and honor them, otherwise its a breech of the contract. I'm thinking if he isn't ready for the first game of the season, they'll have a meeting to discuss future action plans and a list of options.
Meanwhile the LOBs just chill'in. No bumps and no bruising. cheers

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":2jo4u2zj said:
CalgaryHawk":2jo4u2zj said:

Even worse is the fact that we would get nothing close to market value for Kam in a trade right now. If we were shopping Kam because we had a couple of promising young players waiting to replace him, we could get market value. Putting him on the trading block because we can't get him into camp? This team would have no leverage in a trade and potential trade partners would know it. We would be operating from a position of weakness (we're trading him because we can't get him to report) rather than one of strength. Seattle would get nothing close to the first or second-round pick mentioned earlier, which is why I am pretty sure a trade isn't going to happen.

Waive the fines for preseason, then drop the hammer in the regular season and fine him the maximum for each week he misses and try to get by without him. Then make it clear that fines will not be waived for future preseason holdouts that last longer than the first preseason game. I am done with this BS. Kam got a very good deal at a time when the team didn't have to give him one. He can report and have his preseason fines waived or start missing game checks. His choice.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Chawker":10xweqns said:
The way I see it, when you shake on a deal or sign a contract its up to both parties to understand there responsibilities and honor them, otherwise its a breech of the contract.

That's not true in the NFL though with portions of contracts non guaranteed. Players can be cut before playing out their contract, so I'm fine with players asking for more money if it's warranted and the timing is right.

The issue is the timing IS NOT right for Kam. He not only has three years left on his deal, he's coming off a major injury to end the year. Two big strikes against him for demanding a new deal.

The Hawks just can't set this precedent, ripping up a players contract with three years left. Sure you can turn some bonus into the guaranteed column like with Lynch, but that's it. If John tears up Kam's contract? Then there's 10 more dudes gonna hold out tomorrow.

JAGHAWK

Reaction score
A couple days... or even maybe a week of missing training camp is forgivable. BUT MISSING THE ENTIRE CAMP?! You have to enforce fines. There needs to be consequences.

Also, I'd like to agree with someone's post above... Give Kam the money under the condition that he call Mebane and tell him he's been cut from the team due to his own contract re-negotiations. Seems fair.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Polaris":3bdvw94s said:
I hate to say it but I have to agree. Kam and/or his agent seem to be suffering from certain illusions (such as the Seahawks are Cap-Rich which simply isn't true).

I would make the deadline the first week of the season. Get in by then, or:

1. The Seahawks will formally demand all accrued fines.
2. The Seahawks will explore a trade....if a trade can't be finalized by week 9 and Kam is still a no-show, then he'll be cut.

Demand the fines sure, but trading him or cutting him makes literally no sense whatsoever. As long as he's not showing up, he's not getting paid.. so really the only thing the Seahawks lose is not having Kam Chancellor on the field. But why enable his exit just because he's pouting about a deal he just signed 2 years ago? If he wants to hold out, so be it, the Seahawks control his career until he decides he wants to return

StoneCold

Reaction score
The three years left thing is a bit of misnomer as he is in the last year of his guaranteed contract. If the team can bail on the non guaranteed part it is smart for the player to make moves now.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Let Kam sit out the entire year. I don't see any other resolution on the Seahawks side that wouldn't have every player holding out for more money with three years left on their contract. This hold out makes no sense at all... even less than Russell's stance that he was going to play out his final year.

Kam sits out this season and then he still has to play for three more years on the same contract if he wants to play in the NFL at all. Good luck making up the lost millions later. I still think he may be hiding an injury.