Is Trade With Panthers Possible?

tdlabrie

Reaction score
The Panthers just lost WR Benjamin to a torn ACL. I keep hearing about how we're so deep at WR, but of course our line sucks. If we're willing to at least look at Evan Mathis, is it remotely possible we might trade a WR to the Panthers for O-line support? Do they even have anybody?

Basis4day

Reaction score
tdlabrie":3uammn59 said:
The Panthers just lost WR Benjamin to a torn ACL. I keep hearing about how we're so deep at WR, but of course our line sucks. If we're willing to at least look at Evan Mathis, is it remotely possible we might trade a WR to the Panthers for O-line support? Do they even have anybody?

Michael Oher is their starting LT. Not really, no.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
We have WR depth? Where did that rumor start.

With P-Rich still on the shelf, we need all the WR's we have............besides the Panthers are more likely to sign a WR that's still floating around so they don't have to give up anything. Reggie Wayne, Wes Concussion Welker, etc........still some available WR's.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":223yrq13 said:
We have WR depth? Where did that rumor start.

With P-Rich still on the shelf, we need all the WR's we have............besides the Panthers are more likely to sign a WR that's still floating around so they don't have to give up anything. Reggie Wayne, Wes Concussion Welker, etc........still some available WR's.

James Jones is probably kicking himself for signing with the Giants a few weeks ago. He could have signed a deal to be the #1 WR in Carolina this year. They would have been desperate and he was the best FA option left.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
This makes no sense to me.. why would you willingly seek to help out a team that isn't very far off (well now they probably are) of being a contender?

Basis4day

Reaction score
I miss the days when .netters were proposing to trade Flynn to the Jets for Revis because they needed a QB.

lukerguy

Reaction score
I thought about this too. Definitely think Kearse would be the guy on the chopping block (pun intended).

I think we could get a 3rd/4th for him.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I'm not interested in future draft picks if I'm trading a wr I'm trading for instant OL help.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Wenhawk":3n8d2p4n said:
I'd take a
4th or 5th for Kearse or even
3rd for Baldwin

You'd trade away one of our starting WR's right before the season starts? That's crazy to me, we aren't the Raiders..............we're trying to win SB's here during a very short window of opportunity. Not stockpile mid round picks for next year.

ctrcat

Reaction score
I agree with Hasselbeck. While I see the pros and cons of both sides of a Kearse trade, I think a trade would benefit the Panthers more, especially given Kearse has been a Panther killer. Regardless, I doubt the Panthers trade a draft pick. It makes sense on the surface but while most teams tightrope the line between present and future, Dave Gettleman has leaned on the future route to this point. He didn't panic losing Jordan Gross, Steve Smith, et al, so I doubt he gives up cheap labor or ammo to move up that a late pick gives. JMO though. We'll see.

ctrcat

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3n42yx26 said:
I'm not interested in future draft picks if I'm trading a wr I'm trading for instant OL help.

As I said on the NFL forum Amini Silatolu might be your guy, but it's unlikely IMHO for a myriad of reasons.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
ctrcat":1nj0zol4 said:
I agree with Hasselbeck. While I see the pros and cons of both sides of a Kearse trade, I think a trade would benefit the Panthers more, especially given Kearse has been a Panther killer. Regardless, I doubt the Panthers trade a draft pick. It makes sense on the surface but while most teams tightrope the line between present and future, Dave Gettleman has leaned on the future route to this point. He didn't panic losing Jordan Gross, Steve Smith, et al, so I doubt he gives up cheap labor or ammo to move up that a late pick gives. JMO though. We'll see.

Especially if they could wait and see who gets cut in the preseason to see if one of the guys who they had on their draft radar becomes available.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Anyone who thinks Carolina is giving up a starting lineman is crazy. The Panthers were notorious for having one of the worst Olines in the league last year, they aren't going to move anyone. They may move a pick, but there are still a few free agents available like Reggie Wayne that wouldn't be that much worse than Kearse.

ctrcat

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":2ae3ica6 said:
ctrcat":2ae3ica6 said:

Especially if they could wait and see who gets cut in the preseason to see if one of the guys who they had on their draft radar becomes available.

Agree. If not they might just ride with what they have. The hole Benjamin leaves is enormous and not easy to get off the mat from, but not too much different than last year with Brown and Bersin entering their 2nd year, Ginn returning, Cotchery, and the newcomer Funchess. Hardly enough to strike fear on paper but of the last 6 Super bowl teams, there have only been 3 1,000 yard WRs, two were embarassed in front of the whole world on the biggest stage in XLVIII and the other is named Crabtree.

jblaze

Reaction score
We have a lot of middle/lower tier WR depth, not a lot of top level WR's, there's a big difference.

Kearse isn't going anywhere. He's our #2 WR right now and he has a lot of experience.

Today's KC game will tell us a lot about what we do from here. They're experimenting with position changes because we're in kind of a crisis on the OL right now. If Britt works out well at LG and Gilliam does well at RT, we may be set.

If not, we likely don't let Mathis leave tomorrow without signing him and we move Britt back to RT. There are a dozen ways to squeeze someone in under the cap if you want to.

Tonight's game will tell us a lot about what we do from here. This OL trouble is a big mess right now and I don't care if you have the best defense in the game, the LOB, Lynch, RW and Jimmy. If you don't have an O line, it's all for naught.

They will do whatever it takes to make the OL serviceable.

edogg23

Reaction score
We are probably the only team in the league that would pay Kearse 2.4 million and now we think that another team would actually give us a 5th round draft pick to take on that contract? :?:

DavidSeven

Reaction score
The only WR who's worth anything significant in a trade is Doug Baldwin, and you don't want to trade away Doug Baldwin. Sending a team Kearse is the value equivalent of sending a team a 2016 mid-round pick, so why wouldn't you just send the 2016 mid-round pick instead and keep your WR corps intact? And honestly, if you want a starting-caliber O-lineman, you probably have to give up something more.

This assumption that we have a legit WR2 sitting behind Kearse is a little baffling to me. P-Rich is on PUP, Mathews is a question mark, and Lockett has so far been limited almost entirely to ST. Not saying someone won't surpass him, but that has not happened yet.