What if front office traded..

niveky

Reaction score
Kam for a as much as they could get for him and money to go at Mathis. As far as what they got in a trade could be young, talented oline help and draft pick

I am not saying I think this is going to happen or that I want it to happen....but in a what if situation, what if there is more going on with this Kam holdout between both sides than any of the public knows about that could cause the front office to go that route. In this made up scenario does anyone doubt the ability of the team to adjust to losing him and keep strong team chemistry going in to the season?

Again, don't necessarily want this to happen but I have been thinking about how could the team strengthen its biggest weakness and also handle uncertainty on the backend of the defense. If they got rid of Kam early enough, the player replacing him could work with more confidence with what they have and whoever filled that spot would not feel like they were just holding the position until if/when Kam comes back. With Carroll's always compete philosophy that player would hopefully play with more fire because if they didn't play their best they definitely could lose that starting safety spot. This while also bolstering the oline.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
You dont save much trading or cutting Kam with 3 years left on his deal.

Seahawks can afford Mathis just fine if they do a multiple year deal and smartly allocate the cap hits to make Mathis's 2015 cap hit low.

OP
OP
niveky

niveky

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":1haedpp8 said:
You dont save much trading or cutting Kam with 3 years left on his deal.

Seahawks can afford Mathis just fine if they do a multiple year deal and smartly allocate the cap hits to make Mathis's 2015 cap hit low.

I have never really kept up much with salaries but I thought maybe more info on his salary and it wouldn't make sense. I did look and I saw this was the second highest dead money year of his contract. It is 7,550,000. His cap hit is 5,650,000.

What is the deadline to trade to avoid cap hit? Is it the regular season start date? In this what if scenario if they did unlpad him they would still be on the hook for the dead money but it would free up the 5,650,000 right? I doubt they would eat that much dead money but of they thought the oline issues were bad enough does anyone think it at least plausible. From the report I read they made it sound like Seattle wouldn't have the money to even be in the competition to sign mathis.

If anyone already answered the unfinished edit...sorry my phone is quirky on forums

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The Seahawk defense is the most significant contributor to wins in this run.

In the playoffs, the most important part of that defense has been the secondary.

It would be among the upper echelon of moronic decisions, to cut an HOF or trade an HOF quality player that might have been your MVP in several playoff games - in order to fill another gap in the team with a barely above average player.

The key to competitive advantage is to maximize your strengths, not mitigate them.

seahawksTopGear

Reaction score
It would not free up 5mill. If we cut Kam we will get 5m dead money this year and 200k cap savings. If we trade Kam we get 3m dead money this year with 2m cap saving.

Those people saying Kam has no leverage don't know what they are talking about.

HuskerHawk

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":32ycpgg1 said:

In the playoffs, the most important part of that defense has been the secondary.

It would be among the upper echelon of moronic decisions, to cut an HOF or trade an HOF quality player that might have been your MVP in several playoff games - in order to fill another gap in the team with a barely above average player.

The key to competitive advantage is to maximize your strengths, not mitigate them.
Yup. What you said. You will not get equal returns getting rid of Kam. Even if you picked up a guy of equal ability, you lose years of trust and chemistry, as well as that little something that makes Kam special.

mikeak

Reaction score
seahawksTopGear":38msoy50 said:
It would not free up 5mill. If we cut Kam we will get 5m dead money this year and 200k cap savings. If we trade Kam we get 3m dead money this year with 2m cap saving.

Depends on how you define leverage

1) I don't think there is anyway we trade Kam

2) I don't see us giving a player 1 year into a 4 year contract a new deal

So from Seahawks standpoint based on above there is no action. Kam can play or retire

Kam has absolutely zero leverage under those conditions. He sits out he is still under contract for three years plus he could get the fines. He can't play elsewhere

If you define leverage as Seahawks can't cut him then I guess you are right but since there is zero reason to do so I disagree on Kam having any leverage

Rob12

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":gaf7jtjs said:

So what's the solution? Bend to Kam's needs? His agent has been directly quoted and Kam is not reporting until his "contract is addressed."

Is it maximizing our strengths if we bend to Kam's wishes? Guess what? Players are watching how this whole thing gets handled, with their own future holdouts looming.

You say it would be moronic to move on from a player, that, quite frankly, is out of line. He's the one and only player in the entire league holding out at this point. But what's the solution? What's your solution to this whole mess that is currently Kam Chancellor, non-contributor to the Seattle Seahawks?

Rob12

Reaction score
mikeak":1l79ucv7 said:
seahawksTopGear":1l79ucv7 said:

Depends on how you define leverage

1) I don't think there is anyway we trade Kam

2) I don't see us giving a player 1 year into a 4 year contract a new deal

So from Seahawks standpoint based on above there is no action. Kam can play or retire

Kam has absolutely zero leverage under those conditions. He sits out he is still under contract for three years plus he could get the fines. He can't play elsewhere

If you define leverage as Seahawks can't cut him then I guess you are right but since there is zero reason to do so I disagree on Kam having any leverage

I honestly don't think he has leverage either. If I'm the Hawks I'm drawing a line in the sand. Enough is enough.

cheese22

Reaction score
What's the point of having a contract if you give in to his demands? I can understand if someone is grossly underpaid and has a bunch of years left. But Kam is neither of those. I'd hate to see him go. But enough is enough. I can't help but wonder why this has happened so many times, recently. And don't say anything about having so much talent. I'm looking at the other contenders and this doesn't happen. Maybe if they had handled Irvin differently, this wouldn't be happening.

Rob12

Reaction score
cheese22":2p2r9yf6 said:
What's the point of having a contract if you give in to his demands? I can understand if someone is grossly underpaid and has a bunch of years left. But Kam is neither of those. I'd hate to see him go. But enough is enough. I can't help but wonder why this has happened so many times, recently. And don't say anything about having so much talent. I'm looking at the other contenders and this doesn't happen. Maybe if they had handled Irvin differently, this wouldn't be happening.

Further, what's the point of having the ability to fine players for missing unexcused days of employment if you're just going to pretend that they were there the entire time?

Do people see what's happening? The players are catching up to the owners, and contracts will soon be rendered useless on both sides if something is not done.

Not sure how they could have handled him differently. In 2013, his deal was monstrous. I remember reading quite a few posters here then that thought the deal was a mistake. But PCJS had the foresight to see what Kam could mean to this defense... And this is how he is choosing to repay them.

Seriously... Get Kam on a flight. When he steps off the tarmac hand him in a pen and a pad and have him list the players that he is cutting so that his contract demands can be met. Meanwhile, brace for the future repercussions of what will happen with future holdouts.

I just don't see how this ends well. The only way is if Kam reports and everything becomes business as usual. Otherwise, you have further opened Pandora's Box and the demise of the Seahawks and the system in place will be in perilous jeopardy.

Just say no to Kam. Damn, he's one of my favorite Hawks ever... But if they flipped him tomorrow for a good return I'd honestly be OK with it.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
niveky":8i8l2pfz said:
Kam for a as much as they could get for him and money to go at Mathis. As far as what they got in a trade could be young, talented oline help and draft pick

I am not saying I think this is going to happen or that I want it to happen....but in a what if situation, what if there is more going on with this Kam holdout between both sides than any of the public knows about that could cause the front office to go that route. In this made up scenario does anyone doubt the ability of the team to adjust to losing him and keep strong team chemistry going in to the season?

Again, don't necessarily want this to happen but I have been thinking about how could the team strengthen its biggest weakness and also handle uncertainty on the backend of the defense. If they got rid of Kam early enough, the player replacing him could work with more confidence with what they have and whoever filled that spot would not feel like they were just holding the position until if/when Kam comes back. With Carroll's always compete philosophy that player would hopefully play with more fire because if they didn't play their best they definitely could lose that starting safety spot. This while also bolstering the oline.
No. You give him 2 choices. Play for Seattle or sit out and don't get paid period.
You will never get anything of value in a trade. The Hershel Walker type trades don't happen in the NFL anymore.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Players hold out because they do not like the current contract they have signed and would like to negotiate a new deal. Trading or cutting them is giving them exactly what they want because it lets them negotiate for more money. We might do it under certain circumstances but it would be the same as increasing his contract in terms of the message it sends to the rest of the team.

OlyHawkFan

Reaction score
Seriously... Get Kam on a flight. When he steps off the tarmac hand him in a pen and a pad and have him list the players that he is cutting so that his contract demands can be met.

I'd add, have him to be the one to go and tell them they are being cut to pay him.

I remember the time Joey Galloway held out. Was going to report in week eight to get credit for the whole season, was traded to Dallas for two #1's

seahawksTopGear

Reaction score
Rob12":2pnspjin said:
If I'm the Hawks I'm drawing a line in the sand. Enough is enough.

A line in the sand sounds good, but if you lose a game that Kam skips that line is not going to count for much.

You have 7mil of your cap tied up in Kams contract, you can't trade or cut him and you don't have a good replacement. The guys on your locker room are all with Kam, he is putting his body out there for the team with no guarantees.

OlyHawkFan":2pnspjin said:
Seriously... Get Kam on a flight. When he steps off the tarmac hand him in a pen and a pad and have him list the players that he is cutting so that his contract demands can be met.

Kam would be happy to do this, he will have to talk to exactly nobody.

He is not asking for more money, he is not asking for more of the cap. He wants the money for the next two years fully guaranteed so that if he gets injured doing what he does best he has some security.

Of course guranteeing his money is absolutely impossible, not only is it a terrible precedent, send the wrong message to the rest of the team and earn the hatred of every nfl owner out there, it also gives Kam no incentive to play for the next two years.

So is there a solution? Yes, but it very well may break the team. Give Kam the same guarantees that Willson got for injury. That makes _some_ not all of Kams salary for the next two years guaranteed if he gets injured.

Then you have to turn around and put those guarantees on the contracts of Bennet, Earl, Sherman and KJ just for starters. Expect a long line of hold outs after that if you don't continue.

Chawker

Reaction score
I really see no way in hell, that they ever trade Kam!!! But, on the other hand I do see the plausibility of another starting defensive player that would make a whole hellva lot more scents trading away and/or cutting cap space, for Kam. Maybe a person whom they didn't get signed this off-season. Think of Mr. Ed?

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Kam is not replaceable. Name one player that can take his place? Kenny Ea......Uh wait. Yeah, that's my point. Kam is flat out pissing me off right now. He is the biggest missing piece and adding a veteran OL is not going to change that factor. I am so bummed out about this. Right now, without Kam we will be lucky to go 9-7, if that.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
OlyHawkFan":cjgqx69v said:
I remember the time Joey Galloway held out. Was going to report in week eight to get credit for the whole season, was traded to Dallas for two #1's

Nope, Galloway DID hold out eight games into the 1999 season, reported and played the rest of the season, then got the franchise tag in 2000. Dallas signed him to a contract offer. That is how we got the two first round picks for Galloway, not in a trade, and it happened the season after he held out. Completely different situation and we would get nothing close to that in return for Kam if we traded him three weeks before the season starts just because we can't get him to report for camp.

This team needs to just hold firm and demonstrate to Kam Chancellor that "important" does not mean "irreplaceable." If he misses games, he can forfeit game checks. We won't trade him this season nor should we, because no team is going to offer enough right now to make a trade worthwhile.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":cdhxmolc said:
Kam is not replaceable. Name one player that can take his place? Kenny Ea......Uh wait. Yeah, that's my point. Kam is flat out pissing me off right now. He is the biggest missing piece and adding a veteran OL is not going to change that factor. I am so bummed out about this. Right now, without Kam we will be lucky to go 9-7, if that.

Is there one player on this team that can replace Kam Chancellor? No. But a defense with an improved front seven, improved linebacking corps, and a secondary that still has arguably the best cornerback and free safety in football can certainly pick up the slack in his absence. It won't be the same defense that we had with Chancellor back there, obviously, and any player we put out there in his place will be a step down. But that doesn't mean the defense AS A WHOLE can't be as good or even better without him if the other position groups step up.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Shadowhawk":gzd6ssbz said:
Seahwkgal":gzd6ssbz said:

Is there one player on this team that can replace Kam Chancellor? No. But a defense with an improved front seven, improved linebacking corps, and a secondary that still has arguably the best cornerback and free safety in football can certainly pick up the slack in his absence. It won't be the same defense that we had with Chancellor back there, obviously, and any player we put out there in his place will be a step down. But that doesn't mean the defense AS A WHOLE can't be as good or even better without him if the other position groups step up.

I certainly hope this happens and that you are right. Then my alcohol consumption will go down. Win, win. ;)