My preseason 2 cents

Hawks46

Reaction score
Ok so I'm posting now because the last half of the 4th quarter is just unwatchable.

So, let's start with everyone's favorite subject, the Offensive Line.

It looks like they can't get any real push. This game the starters at least showed some semblance of pass protection, although the 1st stringers for the Chiefs didn't blitz.

Britt looked good at Guard. The few times I watched him, he got good push in the run game. Problem was, Nowak was getting his ass kicked right next to him. Britt is blowing his guy off the ball and the Chiefs defenders just flow behind him and make a play.

Gilliam looked fairly decent for his 1st start at RT. I'm not saying he took the job, but this might stick. One of the unwritten rules in the military was "if you don't want to do a job, don't be too good at it". Britt might've won the LG spot by being better than anyone else we have at it. That said, Gilliam didn't embarrass himself by any means.

I am going to feel sorry for Seahawks running backs this season. They are taking some shots.

Michael is showing why he's still on the roster, and why he's usually inactive at the same time. The one thing we've heard is that his pass blocking was lacking, yet last game and this game, he's stepped up and done a pretty good job. He took Dee Ford right out of the game with a vicious chip block. You have to want to block to hit a guy like that. Then he goes out and flubs a play where the entire team does one way, and he goes the other. At least he didn't fumble.

Graham showed us what he's going to do. Our biggest bright spot on offense. Funny, but I just had the thought "it's really weird, but they seem to be forcing the ball to the WRs. why does Jimmy have no targets?" Then he goes out and does his thing. His holding call was marginal but it was a hold. That said, a ton of guys hold Houston. He's hand full. That said, he walled off Houston nicely and only held him on Houston's second move coming back. I did see him try to chop a guy and almost completely miss. That said, I'm not a fan of chopping a guy on the back side in space. Typically you're getting a OLB or athletic DE that fights off the block or gets up quickly and now you have a blocker on the ground. Just seal him off, but that's me.

Lockett just looks damn good. Seriously, it's a win when the Chiefs stop him for a 10 yard return. It's like everyone is holding their breath until he gets on the ground. The kid is electric, and showed what he can do in the pass game this game. We got a real steal here.

Clark had an off night. He got in on a few plays, but you could see a lack of explosion. You can tell his ankle is bothering him, but he still got a pass deflection and a few tackles.

I was proud of our secondary. Keep in mind, our 1st string was our backups. Now, the 3rd string has a lot of work to do.

I can see what they like about Bailey. He doesn't steal a fool's soul like Kam, but he makes his presence felt. You could see Maclin and Alex Smith both on the sidelines trying to shake off hits by him. He also seems to get a step quicker this game. He's a young guy, and the couple of steps that Kam has on him will come in time. The game hasn't slowed down for him yet.

I know it's backups but I keep seeing Williams making plays. I'm pulling for the kid.

I'm liking our DL. Bennett, Mebane, Rubin, and Marsh are all making themselves felt.

Did I mention Wright was over paid ? After this game, I'm not so sure. Irvin looked good setting the edge, but he still lacks counter moves on the rush. His TD on Maclin isn't his fault. I don't know a LBer in the league that's going to stop Maclin there. Good play by KC to get a mismatch.

The refs were in preseason form. Two of those roughing the passer calls were either outright bad or marginal at best.

I really liked what I saw from my boy, RJ Archer. He looked comfortable out there and he sees the field well. He didn't drop off until KC starting blizing our 3rd string line and they got overwhelmed. Pretty accurate at all levels. I can see him replacing TJack next year if he makes it through waivers to our PS.

Baldwin looked decent today, while Kearse was invisible. Daniels had a couple of drops and didn't help himself, but

OP
OP
H

Hawks46

Reaction score
Nope, he didn't. I did see him let the RB get blown up twice.

I expect pressures from Gilliam in his first start against KC. I didn't watch Britt enough in pass pro, I was watching some run blocking.

It's hard to see on broadcast view unless you can stop and rewind it via DVR. I also tend to watch one guy in certain situations.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Today's offense felt like the coaching staff focused on Turbin v Michael. I think Michael showed far more given some of the poor blocking and his ability to hit the hole. Neither is Lynch though ( no duh?).

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
NFLN just called out Nowak on a running play where he got blown up at the LOS and didn't allow Turbin to even come near the big hole Okung/Britt opened up on the left side.

What the hell happened to Patrick Lewis? I thought he did a great job in relief last season and now he's relegated to garbage time.

irocdave

Reaction score
Watched parts of the last two preseason games and feel that the D line has great depth (strongest position on the team), the starting secondary is on the shelf and the 2nd string unit is below NFL starting average but will prove to be a strength when the LOB returns, the starting O line is below average and the depth just proves this as games wear on.

Lynch is going to earn every dollar this year, so is RW. CMike is on the bubble, a couple more fumbles and he will be gone. Dude is making enough money that he may be worth cutting to get Kam back in. Also wouldn't be surprised to see Baldwin or Kearse let go.

Still have two preseason games left but it's obvious that the O line needs help. I could see T Jack cut also, Archer has looked good against scrubs and has that Kurt Warner vibe to him.

Fade

Reaction score
irocdave":37xn9tk0 said:
Watched parts of the last two preseason games and feel that the D line has great depth (strongest position on the team), the starting secondary is on the shelf and the 2nd string unit is below NFL starting average but will prove to be a strength when the LOB returns, the starting O line is below average and the depth just proves this as games wear on.

Lynch is going to earn every dollar this year, so is RW. CMike is on the bubble, a couple more fumbles and he will be gone. Dude is making enough money that he may be worth cutting to get Kam back in. Also wouldn't be surprised to see Baldwin or Kearse let go.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Reality is , as with every preseason , you really do not know much till game 3. I mean the pass offense, when the oline allow sit, has been vanilla at best, I am very sure they are not giving any extra tape to anyone. However next game I expect more, again assuming the oline allows it, and Bevel can get out of the way.

Anthony!

Reaction score
irocdave":1qhu0y34 said:

Still have two preseason games left but it's obvious that the O line needs help. I could see T Jack cut also, Archer has looked good against scrubs and has that Kurt Warner vibe to him.

I would say Kearse is more likely than Baldwin.

kearly

Reaction score
I thought our run defense looked awesome, even if it was hard to tell because the freakish Knile Davis had the size and speed to cheese his way out of several impossible situations. Pass rush seemed pretty good too. If Kam comes back, this defense is going to be unbelievably good when healthy.

KJ Wright had a very good game, obviously. Wagner's pick six was a lot tougher than he made it look. It's something very few LBs could do.

I thought the OL looked mediocre, but just good enough. Seattle got the ball out fast tonight when Russell was in there and that helped make the protection look better. There wasn't much push but the run blocking created enough havoc for a back like Marshawn to have a solid game. There was one run in the first half that I think Marshawn could have maybe taken ~40 yards to the house, and a few others that seemed designed with his resiliency in mind.

Brock Huard nailed it when he said that Michael and Bailey are in the same boat. I hope the Hawks FO is patient with both.

Rawls had that awful drop on a screen pass that would have gone a long, long ways. He flashes nifty stuff sometimes but he just doesn't seem like 53 man roster talent to me.

Rod Smith looked good in limited looks. Dude needs to quit giving up yards though. On his 3rd and long play, he could have probably gotten within a yard or two. Those yards he left on the field came up big on the next play.

The refs called the game like they had money on the Chiefs at times. They even got the challenge wrong.

Tyler Lockett finally caught some passes and looked great doing it.

Graham looked really good catching the ball too. Graham did have some flubs blocking though. There was one play in the first half where it looked like Turbin had a good lane to run to going left, but he didn't trust it and went elsewhere for no gain. When I watched it again, Graham had a lazy and ineffective cut block and it made the indecision by Turbin understandable. Graham also got dinged for a holding penalty later on.

Wilson looked pretty sharp all things considered. I think the first half would have looked way different with Lynch in there. KC's defense is no joke either.

Doug Baldwin looked like a stud.

Wilson to Graham on the bootleg is beautiful.

Even though there are a lot of things to be positive about, I get the feeling that our offense is going to be screwed if Marshawn ever gets hurt this year. It feels to me like the offense is built to rely on him more than ever before.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Not sure why the coaches were talking up Nowacks strength/stoutness prior to this game. All he showed was a lack of...

Anthony!

Reaction score
kearly":3o3e4q1c said:
I thought our run defense looked awesome, even if it was hard to tell because the freakish Knile Davis had the size and speed to cheese his way out of several impossible situations. Pass rush seemed pretty good too. If Kam comes back, this defense is going to be unbelievably good when healthy.

KJ Wright had a very good game, obviously. Wagner's pick six was a lot tougher than he made it look. It's something very few LBs could do.

I thought the OL looked mediocre, but just good enough. Seattle got the ball out fast tonight when Russell was in there and that helped make the protection look better. There wasn't much push but the run blocking created enough havoc for a back like Marshawn to have a solid game. There was one run in the first half that I think Marshawn could have maybe taken ~40 yards to the house, and a few others that seemed designed with his resiliency in mind.

Brock Huard nailed it when he said that Michael and Bailey are in the same boat. I hope the Hawks FO is patient with both.

Rawls had that awful drop on a screen pass that would have gone a long, long ways. He flashes nifty stuff sometimes but he just doesn't seem like 53 man roster talent to me.

Rod Smith looked good in limited looks. Dude needs to quit giving up yards though. On his 3rd and long play, he could have probably gotten within a yard or two. Those yards he left on the field came up big on the next play.

The refs called the game like they had money on the Chiefs at times. They even got the challenge wrong.

Tyler Lockett finally caught some passes and looked great doing it.

Graham looked really good catching the ball too. Graham did have some flubs blocking though. There was one play in the first half where it looked like Turbin had a good lane to run to going left, but he didn't trust it and went elsewhere for no gain. When I watched it again, Graham had a lazy and ineffective cut block and it made the indecision by Turbin understandable. Graham also got dinged for a holding penalty later on.

Wilson looked pretty sharp all things considered. I think the first half would have looked way different with Lynch in there. KC's defense is no joke either.

Doug Baldwin looked like a stud.

Wilson to Graham on the bootleg is beautiful.

Even though there are a lot of things to be positive about, I get the feeling that our offense is going to be screwed if Marshawn ever gets hurt this year. It feels to me like the offense is built to rely on him more than ever before.

I think I agree with your last statement, but I think part of that is a poor pass blocking oline, and part is their whole game plan is having Lynch. I do not think they have a game plan without Lynch. Mind you I am talking Bevel, I think Wilson does, as when he has taken over the offense ie we are down a lot or last 2 minutes, with or without Lynch in the game Wilson excels. I know in those situation it is Wilson calling the plays at the line and it works.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
KJ is a screen game killer, so he's sort of tailor-made to blow up an Alex Smith offense. Certainly showed up tonight.

O-line wasn't a catastrophe, but it was hard to judge. Seattle clearly set out to test their quick-passing game, which looked alright and took the burden off pass protection. Didn't look like much was happening in the run game, but hard to tell whose fault that was.

Christine Michael had such a typical C-Mike game -- the kind where you are basically frustrated because you can see the upside and the drawbacks in the same package. Personally, I think they may have to keep him just as insurance alone. If Lynch misses a game, I think a Turbin/CMike combo might be workable. Either guy going alone could be a disaster.

In spite of a couple mistakes, I think BJ Daniels is still intriguing. Showed some promise on returns and catches. I'm starting to get sold on the concept of a valuable Swiss Army knife on the final roster.

Does Archer have any accuracy whatsoever beyond 10 yards? Threw a busted screen to a guy 5 yards behind the LOS...why?

Ronald Martin... #42. He's interesting. Seems very Seahawk-y.

BigMeach

Reaction score
Hawks46":okg684ep said:
Ok so I'm posting now because the last half of the 4th quarter is just unwatchable.

So, let's start with everyone's favorite subject, the Offensive Line.

It looks like they can't get any real push. This game the starters at least showed some semblance of pass protection, although the 1st stringers for the Chiefs didn't blitz.

I don't know much about ZBS but I had an idea on the lack of rushing. Perhaps I'm off base here but I was thinking that the switching around of positions could have caused mistakes in the zone blocking. I agree the pass protection was leap years better, even without blitzing that's a good sign.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Gilliam looked better than Britt at RT in a very limited sample size.. Kearse at Flanker has been anything but good so far this preseason I'd really like to see KSmith or Matthews get the start next week. Shead was good at corner tonight and the defense played very well tonight for the most part. Game ball to Graham on Offense and Shead on defense they tried to throw to his man and he shut them down.

blkhwk

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about the offense yet. There are very few zone read plays ran in the pre-season, very few roll outs etc. Vanilla, Vanilla, Vanilla

Once the game counts, the zone read will be back, setting up other plays off the play action. There are formations and plays that have been used since 2012 that have not even been seen yet in pre-season games.

So far it looks like the only reason the offense is running plays is because they have to.

Graham and Lockett are going to be huge difference makers.

The pass may have to set up the run some this year.

If the defensive line stays healthy, this will be the best Seahawk defense yet, with or without Kam.

My 2 cents on the pre-season so far

2_0_6

Reaction score
The offense is looking very vanilla through the first 2 games which doesn't surprise me. Let the Rams and Packers try and guess how your going to use Jimmmmmmmmy instead of actually seeing plays designed specifically for him.

Oline played better tonight against a better front seven on the road than they did last week at home. That's encouraging.

Fade

Reaction score
I Might as well throw in my 2 pennies. Off the top I am not doing film breakdowns on preseason games.

Offense

1) Gilliam held up well enough for Wilson to have a pocket most of the time. I hope he showed enough to start gm 3.

2) Jimmy Graham can't block. Just have him run scat protection, or send him on clear routes on running plays.

3) The Red Zone Offense has been bad, it's only preseason, but the trends from last season continue.

4) The Evan Mathis Fantasy Island dream is still alive. They need another vet on the interior IMO.

5) Jermaine Kearse is impeding the young receivers from developing. If he were cut, I wouldn't bat an eye.

6) RW missed a couple of throws he should make, but it's just preseason.

7) It was good to see RW connect with JImmy Graham 3 times in the 2nd Q. SEA had been using him like Zach Miller for most of the preseason up to this point. He is not Zach Miller, stop it.

Defense

1) I was impressed with Shead at Corner tonight, and the rest of the secondary they rolled out given the injuries.

2) Kris Richard it going to be a Head Coach next year that is how highly I think of him, but he & Pete got out coached by Andy Reed. Having Bruce Irvin matched up with their #1 Wide Receiver Jeremy Maclin just by simply lining him up in the backfield.

3) I would like to see Eric Pinkins make it over Mike Morgan at this point. EP had a nice tackle on kick coverage as well.

4) Dion Bailey can be serviceable if forced into a starting role. I liked that a couple of Chiefs players felt the BOOM from his hits.

5) 'Tuba Rubin was playing at Nose some of the time with Mebane at 3 tech. I haven't seen that in a long time. Rubin looked great He is the best starting DT to play next to Mebane in a long time. On a play in paticualer Rubin drove the Center 3 yards into the backfield blowing up the play forcing the RB to bounce the play, allowing the defense to swarm for the TFL.

6) K.J. Wright overall had a good game, however he took a bad angle and allowed that big 3rd down run by Knile Davis that took them down goal to go.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Funny that I wasn't the only one who noticed that play towards the end after 4 very good plays. It's in space where he lacks the speed. Still, I can be citical, but 4 stellar plays to 1 bad play is back at his 2013 form. I hope he can keep it up.

BigMeach

Reaction score
blkhwk":7mni8zwa said:
If the defensive line stays healthy, this will be the best Seahawk defense yet, with or without Kam.

Completely agree and I hope Kam realizes this because I believe PC/JS do.