Could this be a solution to the Kam issue? (Mathis related)

FormerEvil

Reaction score
Is there anyway the Hawks could restructure Kam's contract so he actually has a lower salary this year thereby freeing up space to sign Mathis but increase Kam's guarantees in coming years to make up for it and mask a concession in negotiations?

I'm not sure how this would work with the cap, but it seems like you could maneuver around these demands and have it be a win/win situation. Kam could conceivably get his guaranteed money and potentially a small raise while the Seahawks could save face and avoid the appearance of setting a precedence with players. Outwardly it would look like Kam took one for the team while providing them with flexibility now to sign Mathis but they could "reward" him with more money/guarantee later.

goseahawks2012

Reaction score
how would the Seahawks save face when you give in to kam by giving him a small raise? You do set a precedence by rewarding kam's holdout by giving him a raise. Players and agents aren't stupid, they would notice a raise even if you shift his salary increase from this year to upcoming years.

mikeak

Reaction score
You could convert salary to signing bonus and that would keep the hard line intact in the sense that no additional money was given

With that said we don't know if that is what Kam is truly looking for

OP
OP
F

FormerEvil

Reaction score
Because in actuality he would be taking less money this year. Don't get me wrong, I'm not for caving to Kam's demands (I'm actually disgusted by his stance) but this would be a you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours kind of situation. I'm not for a raise but I'm all for guaranteeing more of his contract and tacking on the difference if he takes one for the team and shows he's a team player.

Just spit-balling here and trying to think outside the box..

Bigbadhawk

Reaction score
FormerEvil":2b0zkvwv said:
Is there anyway the Hawks could restructure Kam's contract so he actually has a lower salary this year thereby freeing up space to sign Mathis but increase Kam's guarantees in coming years to make up for it and mask a concession in negotiations?

I'm not sure how this would work with the cap, but it seems like you could maneuver around these demands and have it be a win/win situation. Kam could conceivably get his guaranteed money and potentially a small raise while the Seahawks could save face and avoid the appearance of setting a precedence with players. Outwardly it would look like Kam took one for the team while providing them with flexibility now to sign Mathis but they could "reward" him with more money/guarantee later.

Hurrah for more Kam topics

Your idea would be extremely hard to do in hopes of saving any money since the money for 2015 is fully guaranteed. Even if they tore up his contract they would still owe him 7,550,555$ for his current contract from his guarantee and unpaid signing bonus. Restructures tend to happen when there is no guarantee money left on the contract.

OP
OP
F

FormerEvil

Reaction score
Bigbadhawk":3sn3e3s6 said:
FormerEvil":3sn3e3s6 said:

Your idea would be extremely hard to do in hopes of saving any money since the money for 2015 is fully guaranteed. Even if they tore up his contract they would still owe him 7,550,555$ for his current contract from his guarantee and unpaid signing bonus. Restructures tend to happen when there is no guarantee money left on the contract.

Hurrah for passive aggressive responses.

I'm wondering though, if they tore up his contract, why would they still owe him 7,550,555$ for his current contract? I'm actually asking. Doesn't tearing up a contract tear up a contract and are they not paid out on his signing bonus at this point in the deal?

Rob12

Reaction score
Bigbadhawk":9q6fjwvg said:
FormerEvil":9q6fjwvg said:

Maybe you should get used to Kam topics. Dude is holding out, and he's an integral member of the Seattle Seahawks, and reports are flying that he's prepared to sit out the season - so it's kind of a big deal.

Maybe just refrain from clicking on threads that are obviously about Kam Chancellor? His name is usually in the title of the thread...

goseahawks2012

Reaction score
mikeak":tk0po10r said:
You could convert salary to signing bonus and that would keep the hard line intact in the sense that no additional money was given

With that said we don't know if that is what Kam is truly looking for

But what your essentially doing is guaranteeing his contract by giving converting his future salary into a signing bonus. Not only that, but your hurting your future cap as well. The reason why the saints are in cap hell right now is because they did what you are suggesting to numerous players. So did dallas which was why there where in cap hell for a number of years. The Seahawks structure kam and everyone else's contract the same way which is after 2 years, there is no more skill guarantee money which gives them cap flexibility. If you give into kam by converting is non guarantee salary into a signing bonus, you have to do it to everyone else's since they all have the same structure.

goseahawks2012

Reaction score
FormerEvil":3fnaxgq5 said:
Because in actuality he would be taking less money this year. Don't get me wrong, I'm not for caving to Kam's demands (I'm actually disgusted by his stance) but this would be a you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours kind of situation. I'm not for a raise but I'm all for guaranteeing more of his contract and tacking on the difference if he takes one for the team and shows he's a team player.

I get what your saying but I don't think the team wants to guarantee anymore of his salary because it takes 2away from the cap flexibility. if you look at the Seahawks cap, while they don't have the most cap room, they do have one of the most flexible cap's in the league and I think they want to keep it that way.

OP
OP
F

FormerEvil

Reaction score
goseahawks2012":8i5uwych said:
FormerEvil":8i5uwych said:

I get what your saying but I don't think the team wants to guarantee anymore of his salary because it takes 2away from the cap flexibility. if you look at the Seahawks cap, while they don't have the most cap room, they do have one of the most flexible cap's in the league and I think they want to keep it that way.

I get that. I'm obviously in the bargaining stage of grief in all of this. I can't believe of all people, Kam is the one we are talking about. Unfortunately, it looks as if there is no happy ending for this in sight. Perhaps the only way he gets what he wants is by trading him. I think this one could drag out and get so ugly that there is no going back. It's like some weird twilight zone episode; all of a sudden Kam turned into bizarro Kam and his agent needs his head examined.

Rob12

Reaction score
FormerEvil":28a8okpk said:
goseahawks2012":28a8okpk said:
FormerEvil":28a8okpk said:

I get that. I'm obviously in the bargaining stage of grief in all of this. I can't believe of all people, Kam is the one we are talking about. Unfortunately, it looks as if there is no happy ending for this in sight. Perhaps the only way he gets what he wants is by trading him. I think this one could drag out and get so ugly that there is no going back. It's like some weird twilight zone episode; all of a sudden Kam turned into bizarro Kam and his agent needs his head examined.

Yep, this, and it's why I am kind of lashing out at Kam right now.

If the reports are true... And if his agent is on the same page as Kam in regards to his quote about Kam not reporting... I really think people need to prepare themselves for the worst, and that is Kam will be dealt before the season starts. Just typing that makes me want to puke, but this is the situation we're in. He's not happy. He's in Virginia right now, and hasn't publicly addressed his holdout. If things don't break in a week or so, I really think the brain trust of the Seahawks will be on the horn looking to move Kam to the highest bidder. It's a truly jacked up situation, and like you, I would have never expected this from him of all people. The naysayers will say that we are overreacting, but the truth is.... Well, look at Mike Bennett. He's a dude that is clearly unhappy with his deal, but he's still in camp. He's still bringing 110 percent effort in preseason games. Meanwhile, Kam is at home, 2,200+ miles away.

That says a lot.

I hope I am wrong, but at this point I have chosen to prepare myself for seeing the 2015-16 Seahawks without Bam Bam, and that sucks.

goseahawks2012

Reaction score
FormerEvil":3gubf7g6 said:
goseahawks2012":3gubf7g6 said:
FormerEvil":3gubf7g6 said:

I understand your pain, I didn't expect it to last as long as it has. But I think the best thing to do is call his bluff and see if he actually will miss a game. I know he say's he is prepared to do that but let's see him actually lose money by losing that game check because so far he has lost nothing. He has the training camp fines but they haven't been imposed yet. So if I am the Seahawks, I want to see if he actually is prepared to lose money for this battle.

goseahawks2012

Reaction score
Rob12":1bpme46g said:
FormerEvil":1bpme46g said:
goseahawks2012":1bpme46g said:
FormerEvil":1bpme46g said:

If the reports are true... And if his agent is on the same page as Kam in regards to his quote about Kam not reporting... I really think people need to prepare themselves for the worst, and that is Kam will be dealt before the season starts. Just typing that makes me want to puke, but this is the situation we're in. He's not happy. He's in Virginia right now, and hasn't publicly addressed his holdout. If things don't break in a week or so, I really think the brain trust of the Seahawks will be on the horn looking to move Kam to the highest bidder. It's a truly jacked up situation, and like you, I would have never expected this from him of all people. The naysayers will say that we are overreacting, but the truth is.... Well, look at Mike Bennett. He's a dude that is clearly unhappy with his deal, but he's still in camp. He's still bringing 110 percent effort in preseason games. Meanwhile, Kam is at home, 2,200+ miles away.

That says a lot.

I hope I am wrong, but at this point I have chosen to prepare myself for seeing the 2015-16 Seahawks without Bam Bam, and that sucks.

The reason why I don't see us trading kam is because we won't get full value it terms of compensation and we occur 3 million dollars worth of dead money and only save 2 million dollars. It just doesn't make sense to trade kam at this time. If we do trade him, i think it would be in the upcoming offseason.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Rob12":xsuck8b3 said:
FormerEvil":xsuck8b3 said:
goseahawks2012":xsuck8b3 said:
FormerEvil":xsuck8b3 said:

That says a lot.

I don't see Kam being dealt as you will receive very little value in return. You don't cut off your nose to spite your face.
I can see in another week or so the Hawks saying sorry Kam, you won't be traded and you are not getting a raise. You have 2 options, sit out the year(s) or play, and if you play it will be only in Seattle. Do what the Vikes did with AP. He needs to fire his agent, as he's getting horrible advice.

NewJerseyHawk

Reaction score
There is enough money for Mathis and Kam isn't seeing another new dollar on his current amount owed....it's possible that he gets more guaranteed money but not an extension or new/more money.

Mathis is going to be brought in to replace Unger and be the veteran that calls the protections and quarterbacks the offensive line. Any pro bowl caliber guard can certainly play center. He gets a one year rental deal and option for a 2nd year but nothing more.

Back to Kam, which fans are too silly talking about trades and other things that don't happen is this fact.

When you hold out, a team cannot conduct a complete physical on you as the player. The player could be 100% healthy or could be 85% healthy. If Kam is not really 100% healthy as of 3 weeks ago, he preserves his body and misses 3 weeks of intense training camp practices and potential more wear and tear on his limbs, specifically his knee.

If you are not 100% healthy and you report, the team conducts it's physical and then can determine how healthy you truly are. Kam knows this and Seattle I am sure is aware of this as well. Once he reports and he has his physical, they can then in good faith determine how to negotiate with Kam. But Seattle is NOT going to give him new money or any more guaranteed money until he reports to camp.

It's a bunch of hype and Kam will report after the team arrives back from San Diego next weekend. He'll report and then take his physical in hopes that after the real final cuts are made and none of the starters really play in the Preseason finale.

I think if you sign Mathis and he's arguably as good as Unger and you have Graham, Lockett, Frank Clark and the best OL since 2012 in place, things are set. The cap experts aren't privy to every detail and there will be no cuts or trades made to bring Mathis in, there is at least 5M available in cap space as of today.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
NewJerseyHawk":1bjz4u2i said:
The cap experts aren't privy to every detail and there will be no cuts or trades made to bring Mathis in, there is at least 5M available in cap space as of today.

The key words in that sentence being "as of today." Because as of today, only the top 51 players count against the salary cap. After final cutdown weekend, Seattle will need to have their entire 53-man roster under the salary cap plus sign 8 players to the practice squad. Fitting the last two members of the active roster plus the eight practice squad members under the cap will take approximately $5-6 million in cap space, which means we are going to have to make some changes just to fit under the cap even if we don't sign Mathis. Further, if we want to be able to sign players during the season as injury replacements (like Tony Moeaki last year, for example) we will need to carve out some additional room on top of that.

Make no mistake: if we sign Mathis, we will have to make some significant roster moves to be able to afford him. Whether those come in the form of cuts or restructures is yet to be seen. They can find a way to make it work, but moves will have to be made before the final roster cutdown.