George Farmer

jake206

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/LATimesklein/status/635158187541266432[/tweet]

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
Nice find, and interesting. Farmer was a super athlete and play-maker at one time before the injuries derailed is career. Played both WR and (briefly early on) RB at USC. He's 6-1 with good arm length but very small hands. Saw him last week in a pre-season game for the Cowboys vs. the Chargers and he looked bad - couldn't get any separation whatsoever.

Jville

Reaction score
Although ....... we can recall how Byron Maxwell was able to overcome tight hips. There is also the Brandon Browner story. And, how about Richard Sherman. Those successes motivate more of the same. Projects are about the journey of working to get better and finishing.

This expected George Farmer signing is a continuation of a tradition of looking for wide receivers to convert into defensive backs. They now have quite a pile of competitors to fill out their active roster and practice squad. The roster churn continues. Its a process.

Kennedyin92

Reaction score
hawknation2015":4mudl7gx said:
The reason he failed at WR was due to his lack of fluidity in space . . . hard to imagine it working out for him at DB.

Did you take a negativity pill this morning?

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Kennedyin92":3klrwym4 said:
hawknation2015":3klrwym4 said:
The reason he failed at WR was due to his lack of fluidity in space . . . hard to imagine it working out for him at DB.

Did you take a negativity pill this morning?

Sorry, just giving my thoughts on this prospect. Great straight-line speed but extremely poor quickness in space. He played at the same HS as Paul Richardson.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
sc85sis":do25t1p5 said:
The main reason he failed at USC was a recurring series of injuries.

He didn't have any reported injuries in 2014. I'm not sure if that's a good sign or a bad one?

What's his arm length?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
His arm length is 31 inches.

He's fast and ran 4.35/40.

EDIT:
The above arm length is wrong, and should be 33 inches.
His short shuttle time was 4.22 which is not slow.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, you're correct that straight-line speed is George's biggest asset and lateral speed isn't. But injuries also played a big part in George not having the career at USC everyone expected for him.

It seemed as if he was injured for most of his time there until last year. That's why everyone was shocked when he declared for the draft.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
We'll have 5-6 corners on the roster. So far we have Sherman, Williams, Simon, Blackmon, Burley, Seisay, McNeill, Shead and Williams all being worthy of being on the 53 man roster. Not to forget that Lane is a definite lock as well when he comes off the PUP list.

If he can make a case for himself it's always welcome but I don't think another CB is necessary at this point.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Overseasfan":20ef2j78 said:
We'll have 5-6 corners on the roster. So far we have Sherman, Williams, Simon, Blackmon, Burley, Seisay, McNeill, Shead and Williams all being worthy of being on the 53 man roster. Not to forget that Lane is a definite lock as well when he comes off the PUP list.

If he can make a case for himself it's always welcome but I don't think another CB is necessary at this point.

Tye Smith made a good case as a boundary corner, not so much in the nickel yesterday.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
hawknation2015":14ybqm12 said:
Overseasfan":14ybqm12 said:

Tye Smith made a good case as a boundary corner, not so much in the nickel yesterday.

Yeah Smith could also very well make the team.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
His short shuttle was 4.22 which isn't truly elite but at 210 it isn't bad and his injuries (ACL, ankle and foot) are the type of injuries that take away from lateral suddenness at least until better. He's fast though and that speed is elite. His SPARQ number is 120. I doubt the team sees him as more than a high quality developmental prospect at this point and would believe he's a PS or ghost roster candidate. Interesting to observe the team sees him as a DB rather than a WR.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Oops I goofed on tthe arm length on this guy, the SPARQ table had Devin Smith just above him and 31" is his arm length. Sorry for the mistake.

Farmer actuall has a 33" arm length not 31". This better qualifies him as a potential DB candidate for the Hawk DB scheme. Farmer's measureables then are right where the Hawks like them to be.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Interesting that they waived an OT - Kona Shwinkie in order to fit him in.

Jville

Reaction score
brimsalabim":38qx4rbm said:
Interesting that they waived an OT - Kona Shwinkie in order to fit him in.

Kona was waived for purposes of placing him on injured reserve.

Farmer was added when that spot became available.

Jville

Reaction score
jammerhawk":kptpvmxj said:
Oops I goofed on tthe arm length on this guy, the SPARQ table had Devin Smith just above him and 31" is his arm length. Sorry for the mistake.

Farmer actuall has a 33" arm length not 31". This better qualifies him as a potential DB candidate for the Hawk DB scheme. Farmer's measureables then are right where the Hawks like them to be.

Looks like Farmer's arm length and 40 time are exceptional when compared to the rookie corner back and safety class of 2015.

bigDhawk

Reaction score
Jville":3hs7oi8w said:
jammerhawk":3hs7oi8w said:

Looks like Farmer's arm length and 40 time are exceptional when compared to the rookie corner back and safety class of 2015.

I was high on him as a UDFA before the draft. Cool to see they picked up someone I was watching. Hope he turns into the next BMax.