Carroll indicates C-Mike will make the 53

bbsplitter

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/CHawk_Talk/status/635897957351424000[/tweet]
Now, this could mean that both Rawls and Smith are ahead of Michael in the depth chart and will make the team regardless over him, but I find that unlikely. Now that this has come to light, I believe that we will only keep 3 RB's (Lynch, Turbin, Michael). I hope that we keep both FB's (Tukuafu, Coleman). Tukuafu can serve as emergency depth on the D-Line, and has also reportedly been taking reps in the TE position in certain packages. Coleman had snaps at RB last year and from what I remember he would be perfectly fine in the back-up RB role, probably better than either Rod Smith or Rawls at this point. Either could play FB as the other fills in at whatever position is in need, allowing the team greater flexibility with fewer roster spots taken up.

mikeak

Reaction score
I think of it more as Pete saying - cutdown isn't for another week right now they are competing with themselves to be the best they can be and then in a week cut-downs will happen and I am not going to tell you how that goes..

DavidSeven

Reaction score
To be fair to Rawls and Smith, they've had to deal with a very inexperienced OL blocking for them. That being said, I don't think either has flashed enough this preseason to really threaten Michael, who's had his ups and downs. Still two games to go, but if I'm deciding now, Lynch, Turbin and Michael are your final RBs. Of course, either Rawls or Smith could really go off and put that into question.

The good thing about them not going off this preseason is that they should be easily available for the Practice Squad and can keep working in the system.

formido

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2avsqqz4 said:
To be fair to Rawls and Smith, they've had to deal with a very inexperienced OL blocking for them. That being said, I don't think either has flashed enough this preseason to really threaten Michael, who's had his ups and downs. Still two games to go, but if I'm deciding now, Lynch, Turbin and Michael are your final RBs. Of course, either Rawls or Smith could really go off and put that into question.

The good thing about them not going off this preseason is that they should be easily available for the Practice Squad and can keep working in the system.

Speaking of OL blocking and its effect on how a back looks:

DAVIS HSU ‏@DavisHsuSeattle 2h2 hours ago
Carroll says 2nd group OL went the wrong way a few times, <snip>

OP
OP
bbsplitter

bbsplitter

Reaction score
I'm more down on Rawls for his wide open drops than his actual runs. Coleman is 10x better reciever.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
yeah i wouldn't read anything into this tweet. no decisions have been made yet and Mr. Always Compete wouldn't let on if any had been made....

kearly

Reaction score
DavidSeven hits the nail on the head. Even if the team did like Rawls or Smith slightly more than Michael, they could probably stash one of them on the PS this season whereas Michael would get claimed off waivers in a nanosecond.

Turbin is a free agent next year and Lynch is always a threat to retire. It wouldn't make much sense to ditch Michael at this point unless they were extremely down on him, but I don't get that sense.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
kearly":2co4efj5 said:
DavidSeven hits the nail on the head. Even if the team did like Rawls or Smith slightly more than Michael, they could probably stash one of them on the PS this season whereas Michael would get claimed off waivers in a nanosecond.

Turbin is a free agent next year and Lynch is always a threat to retire. It wouldn't make much sense to ditch Michael at this point unless they were extremely down on him, but I don't get that sense.
Ditto. Especially since Michael is showing noticable improvement in blocking. I've always felt he leaned on his natural ability and didn't work to round out his game, but he's starting to prove that wrong.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
I don't find that quote by PC to be in any way indicative of anything regarding Christine Michael.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":zwz0lynh said:
I don't find that quote by PC to be in any way indicative of anything regarding Christine Michael.
+1

I'm not convinced Christine makes the final roster. The rest of what he does isn't going to matter if he can't hang on to the ball.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Yeah, as Mikeak said, that was Pete-speak, nothing to do with who will and won't be kept.
I appreciated the other thoughtful posts in this thread, so glad it got started.
It's been a pleasant surprise to see C-Mike lay out at least a couple attention-getting blocks in pass-pro this preseason.
That's a couple more of those blocks from him than I can remember ever in the past.

Laloosh

Reaction score
olyfan63":3bksss82 said:
Yeah, as Mikeak said, that was Pete-speak, nothing to do with who will and won't be kept.
I appreciated the other thoughtful posts in this thread, so glad it got started.
It's been a pleasant surprise to see C-Mike lay out at least a couple attention-getting blocks in pass-pro this preseason.
That's a couple more of those blocks from him than I can remember ever in the past.

I'm as happy to see him pass blocking as the next guy but every time he runs the ball it feels like I am channeling Blitzer88.

Tumblr m5q8lmYjKT1qlcru4o1 500

bigwrm

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":3tyl5bh4 said:

The full quote is much more revealing:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status/635911507025354753[/tweet]

chris98251

Reaction score
History has shown that when Pete talks you up in pre season it's dangerous to buy that jersey number.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
It might be a small hint towards Michael being the favorite to win the 3rd HB spot but a lot of assumptions are made from Pete's very vague statement. I wouldn't take too mcuh from this.

Ozzy

Reaction score
There was never any chance of Michael getting cut. He's too talented to give up on especially with possibly one year left with Lynch. Turbin, Rawls, Smith all look good at times but I don't think the staff views any of them as a Lynch replacement. Michael is the only one with that type of potential. It's cheap to keep him one more year to see if he improves and his payoff is huge, why would you give up on that? I never understood the cut talk with him.

DJrmb

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":qjh8g75k said:
Plus indicating any different would kill any trade value he might have.

This ^^^

I think this comment from Pete was multiple things. I think it was an attempt to salvage any trade value from whoever might come calling, or keep it from falling further. I also think it was a bit of a way to light a fire and to see if Rawls/Smith can play with even more of that chip on their shoulders during practice, getting them to push just a little bit harder. Finally I think Pete is also trying to cool down some of the attention on them (especially Rawls) so they can try to stash one or both of them on the PS.

OP
OP
bbsplitter

bbsplitter

Reaction score
I think with C-Mike they might be more focused on instilling confidence in him, not necessarily constantly reminding him that it's "always compete" and saying "he could get cut for the next guy" in the press conference. It goes a little against the always compete mantra, but maybe they know C-Mike handles pressure differently and they want to see how he runs when the pressure is off a little and its been indicated he will make the team. Just a thought, might not be the case. Also the trade value points you all have made are very possible as well.