2015 Seahawks Preseason Eval, games 1 and 2

xgeoff

Reaction score
I’m not a person who places a whole lot of stock in pre-season, especially when it comes to overall team performance, so I am not in panic mode over the Seahawks 0-2 record. I have, however, been closely observing the team through the first two games, and I have a number of observations. I do understand that pre-season is the time to make mistakes, work out kinks, etc. In any case, this is what I have observed:

1st Team Offense

The 1st team offense, admittedly, is playing without Marshawn, and he is a HUGE difference maker. However, what I am seeing is not that much different from last year. Wide Receivers struggle to separate from defenders. The offensive line is still offensive, and overall the Offense looks anemic despite what I view as a wealth of individual talent at the skill positions. I place this squarely at Darrell Bevel’s feet. His plays seem, for the most part, to be so unimaginative, especially with respect to the receiver route trees.

1st Team Offensive Line

I’ve been a huge critic of the Line and Tom Cable for a couple years now. I thought that our draft picks on the line, beginning with James Carpenter have largely been reaches. I’ve heard that he is looking for guys with specific qualities, like JR Sweezy, and quite frankly I can totally respect that. The results, however, have been very bad. I will say that I see two very positive signs with respect to the line. The first is that Cable is continuing to experiment with the mix to try to find one that works. I think that is smart, and putting a guy like Garry Gilliam at RT because he is performing well is a great move and a good sign. The second is that the pass protection in the KC game looked better, and KC has a really good D-line.

I also have to say that I have seen nothing impressive from the recent draft choices of Poole, Glowinski and Sokoli. None of them look capable, at least right now, of contributing this year. I won’t rule out future development. Frankly, I think it’s time to cut the cord on Tom Cable. He continually trots out sub-par offensive lines but, beyond that, doesn’t seem to be able to evaluate talent.

Robert Turbin

I like Turbo, but he’s no Marshawn Lynch. With the guns this guy has, I’d like to see him run over people more.

Christine Michael

Flashes of explosiveness. Ultimately I thought Knile Davis looked way better, and was taken in the same draft in a later round.

Thomas Rawls

I like this guy. Could be better at avoiding contact but I would hold onto him as I think he has great potential.

Rod Smith

This guy impressed me as well. Seems to be a very physical runner, which of course fits our style well. Based purely on what I’ve seen in preseason, I would probably keep Turbin, Rawls and Smith and dump Michael.

Lemuel Jean-Pierre and Drew Nowak

Both of these guys are competing for the starting center and, quite frankly, both of them seem serviceable. I thought Jean-Pierre filled in well last year. Nowak seems like he has potential. Overall this is probably the position on the Offensive Line that I am most comfortable with, though neither of these guys really impresses me. I wonder whether either of them can really power block in the run game.

Justin Britt

I read an article before the season started and the writer interviewed Justin Britt. Britt talked about his struggles as a rookie and talked about how things are now making much more sense, how he is communicating much better with Sweezy and how he just felt more stable and confident. I thought to myself that this made a lot of sense and that Britt would come out and play much better. I remember when I played High School football that the O-line had some complicated calls and that they really had to work together as a unit to be effective. So it made sense that perhaps some of the struggles last year were because of communication and not necessarily because of individual ability. I imagine the line calls and communication required between linemen in the NFL is quite complicated, and much more involved than just blocking the person in front of you. However, through the first two games I am still unimpressed with Britt, and I think he is a bust for us picking him so high. He’s trying Left Guard now so we’ll see how that suits him.

JR Sweezy

People rave about this guy and I just don’t see it. I will try to focus a little more on him in the next games to see what he’s doing but I am not seeing anything so far that impresses me.

Garry Gilliam

I really like this guy. He’s big and athletic and, at least so far, seems to be playing ok. I think he shows well as a pass blocker but I am wondering whether he can really drive on a defender in the run game.

Edwin Bailey

I really loved how Bailey filled in at Left Tackle last year. I thought he did well. Folks have been down on him this year at Left Guard and so there has been a lot of competition there.

Russell Okung

Meh

Kristjan Sokoli

Has some good plays against the opposing backups but sometimes gets outmuscled by pass rushers. Needs to get stronger, IMO. Am intrigued how he might pan out, but we’ll have to wait and see. Probably not going to contribute much this year.

Kevin Norwood

Probably the least impressive of any of the WR’s I’ve seen on the field for the Seahawks in preseason. Doesn't get much separation and limited ability to catch the ball in traffic.

Tyler Lockett

Love this guy. Love the pick. Shifty in the slot, good speed, and is everything he was supposed to be in the Return game. This pick is a home run!

Jimmy Graham

I was very excited when we got this guy, but I’m starting to get a bit more sober about it. It’s not that I don’t think he’s a special talent, nor do I think Russ will be incapable of getting him the ball. The problem I see is the way we run routes as an offense. I saw us struggle to get Percy Harvin the ball, and he was a special talent (and special jerk, but that’s beside the point). But the Jets had no problem getting Harvin the ball. And the balls that I have seen go to Graham have been on short routes that stretch out towards the sidelines, though there was one over the middle on a seam route. In all instances he was well covered, with a defender draped on him. He made the catches, which is great, but it makes me think that Bevell just doesn’t have creative routes in his playbook like the Saints or, really, even the Jets (and that, my friends, is a sad statement). And we got down to the goal line against KC, where Graham is supposed to be a real help, and on third down we ran the ball for a huge loss. Frankly, I am not sure Graham provides much upside over Luke Wilson in this offense. No knock on Graham, or Russ Wilson for that matter. I just don’t have any faith in Bevell that his plays will open up the receivers and nothing I’ve seen in pre-season changes that view.

Kasen Williams

Like what i’ve seen from this guy so far. Hope we keep him in the mix

Chris Matthews

Like this guy and have every reason to believe he can be productive on a regular basis just like he was in the super bowl. Would like to see us utilize his height down on the goal line. Not sure what his injury status is. Hopefully it’s not too bad.

Ricardo Lockette

Love his special teams play, not sure he brings much to the passing game.

BJ Daniels

I like his versatility but he does drop some balls. I would keep him as the 3rd string QB and utilize him as a WR or PR if folks ahead of him get injured

RJ Archer

I really like this guy. Throws a good ball, seems pretty calm and in control. I would make him 2nd string and tell TJack not to let the door hit him on the way out. My only criticism is that he doesn’t have a whole lot of escapability nor do I think he has the athleticism to run the read option. That being said, I don’t think TJack has either of those abilities either.

1st Team Defense

Overall, I am pretty impressed with the play of this unit so far. I’m not saying it’s been great, but it certainly hasn’t been bad, and they’re playing without Sherman, Thomas and Chancellor. Pretty amazing, actually, that they have done so well. I do think at times that the D-line could be better at stopping the run, but I am not worried and think that overall this unit will continue to be elite, assuming that Sherman, Thomas, and Chancellor all show up.

Michael Bennett

Penetrates really well at times into the opposing backfield on run plays. Would like to see better pressure on pass rushes.

Cliff Avril

Showing some elite skills in pass rushing, which is awesome. It was interesting (and hearbreaking) to see how much this guy’s pass rushing skills meant to the defense after he went down with an injury in the Super Bowl. Had a tendency to let tackles push him on past the quarterback in the middle of last season. In preseason this year, he’s been much better about setting his edge.

Cassius Marsh

Yes! So great to see Marsh healthy. He looks like he can really disrupt opposing offenses in both the run and passing games. Looks like he has the longest arms I’ve ever seen. I think he was a good draft choice and hope he can stay healthy.

Frank Clark

Winner! From what I can see, this guy totally validates his status as a #1 pick. Shows disruptive speed, good strength, and an uncanny nose for the ball. I like what I see. Kudos to the front office for picking this guy.

Bruce Irvin

Not a 1st round talent. He’s an ok linebacker, nothing more.

KJ Wright

KJ Wright has looked better this pre-season than I’ve ever seen before. What has impressed me the most, I think, is that he seems really smart out there, diagnosing plays and using his athleticism to break them up. I’ve never seen him move with such conviction before, it is beautiful. he broke up a screen pass to Jamaal Charles against KC where he blitzed, immediately diagnosed the screen, made a bee line over to Charles and dropped him like a bad poker hand. One of the best plays I’ve seen.

Bobby Wagner

Bobby is an elite linebacker, plays as such and is probably the singular most important person to this defense. I am SO glad we signed him to a long term deal.

Kevin Pierre-Louis

This guy has had flashes of brilliance. Love his speed and he uses it well. Needs to work on his tackling form, cause he hits the ball carrier too high. Needs to drive into the runner when he makes the tackle. Think he has tons of potential, though, and am really happy that we drafted him.

Tye Smith

Not seeing much to impress. Opposing receivers seem to get very clean releases and immediately separate from the guy. I will say that he’s a gamer and will fight for the ball, though.

Dion Bailey

Have liked the way this guy has been flying around like a guided missile. Seems to miss on some plays, and I wouldn’t want to start the season with him as a starter, but I like the way he hits and think he has done a good job filling in.

seahawksTopGear

Reaction score
First team offense. Mostly agree, but there is Jimmy. Stop wasting time making him pretend to block and put him in the slot.

First team offensive line. Which team has a cheaper offensive line than we do? All the money we have saved there is what is paying for all the toys we have that we would not have been able to afford otherwise. I am ok with Cable spending low draft picks to put something together while everybody else in the NFL is overspending. When Okung is kicked to the curb after his contract expires it will be even cheaper and worse, and I will still have no problem with it.

All the RBs that are not called Marshall, meh. Maybe they can do something on teams with a real oline, when we lose beast mode we are going to be passing the ball a heck of a lot more than now.

Jimmy, already covered. Move him to slot, stop making him block.

The rest of the receivers. Pretty good for the price. Too bad we have 7m dead money on Percy and most of our receivers want to play in the slot (where I just slotted Jimmy). Kearse is our best non slot receiver, since we do not have anybody better at his position he is not going anywhere.

Archer, he is gone pretty much whatever he does. Looked good on second preseason game.

1st team defense. Losing McDaniels is going to hurt our run blocking, I can see teams running on us for the first time in three years. Our pass pro is going to be the best in the league. I keep hoping we don't lose Scruggs, but can't see where he makes it with the depth we have, even decent teams are going to be pretty happy with our leftovers.

Bruce Irvin, he was exactly what the team needed when drafted but not what they need now. I have nothing bad to say about that draft class. He will be gone next year with a deservedly decent contract and it will be our loss.

Dion is no Kam, but the strong safety position is not as well payed as the free safety position for a reason. He will do ok

Tical21

Reaction score
Good stuff. I agree with a lot of what you've said here. My big moment of contention however is in regards to Bevell.

One of the constant gripes of Bevell are his "route trees." However, if you know you are going to get man coverage, you aren't a huge fan of running pick plays, you know your team struggles pretty mightily against man coverage, and your QB doesn't always get a lot of time, what routes are you going to run? Are you going to run double-moves, flag routes and really exotic routes? Or are you going to try to master the basics first?

We've got to start completing slants, square outs, back shoulder throws, crossing routes, etc., before we can get more exotic. The routes he is calling are the same routes everybody else would call to try and beat man coverage, and by-and-large, he's creating some open targets. In my opinion, the execution and timing of the basics is what needs to improve most, not the degree of difficulty in the route trees. You gotta crawl before you can walk.

RussB

Reaction score
you forgot about Shead? dude looks like a starting corner the way he played in kc. would actually prefer him over cary williams if he keeps playing that way

CentralPAHawkFan

Reaction score
Hey OP - you showing your age with your comments? I haven't seen a critique on "Edwin" Bailey since the late 80s??? Had to bust you on that one man as it brought back some old school memories...or maybe I am just showing my age. LMAO

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
I find it interesting people become a bust in preseason. Many positions take time (a season or two) to develop. This isn't your grandpappys league anymore. Things are much more complicated and specialized now. I am glad we have a coaching staff that does not have the "fantasy football" mentality. I like how they try to develop players and give them time. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. I think this philosophy works well in this system and in the salary cap era. Not every player can be all pro/pro bowl caliber. We are pushing our cap limits so we must find talent in other ways than paying someone. Plus with our success we have not had a very good draft order.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Tical21":1q5wcqor said:
Good stuff. I agree with a lot of what you've said here. My big moment of contention however is in regards to Bevell.

One of the constant gripes of Bevell are his "route trees." However, if you know you are going to get man coverage, you aren't a huge fan of running pick plays, you know your team struggles pretty mightily against man coverage, and your QB doesn't always get a lot of time, what routes are you going to run? Are you going to run double-moves, flag routes and really exotic routes? Or are you going to try to master the basics first?

We've got to start completing slants, square outs, back shoulder throws, crossing routes, etc., before we can get more exotic. The routes he is calling are the same routes everybody else would call to try and beat man coverage, and by-and-large, he's creating some open targets. In my opinion, the execution and timing of the basics is what needs to improve most, not the degree of difficulty in the route trees. You gotta crawl before you can walk.

I am going to be sick, but I kind of agree with Tical on this one. Not totally I do think there could be some more ingenious routes, but they could also execute better on the routes they have.

OP
OP
xgeoff

xgeoff

Reaction score
CentralPAHawkFan":x29y6uvr said:
Hey OP - you showing your age with your comments? I haven't seen a critique on "Edwin" Bailey since the late 80s??? Had to bust you on that one man as it brought back some old school memories...or maybe I am just showing my age. LMAO

LOL! Right on :D

OP
OP
xgeoff

xgeoff

Reaction score
Year of The Hawk":3u277eaf said:
I find it interesting people become a bust in preseason. Many positions take time (a season or two) to develop. This isn't your grandpappys league anymore. Things are much more complicated and specialized now. I am glad we have a coaching staff that does not have the "fantasy football" mentality. I like how they try to develop players and give them time. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. I think this philosophy works well in this system and in the salary cap era. Not every player can be all pro/pro bowl caliber. We are pushing our cap limits so we must find talent in other ways than paying someone. Plus with our success we have not had a very good draft order.

I actually agree with you here, which is why I am not totally discounting the current crop of offensive linemen, in the future. Maybe they will develop, we'll have to wait and see, but I don't see them contributing this year.

Our other picks, like Lockett and Clark, I am loving them and I think they can have an immediate impact for the team.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Once the first team offense gets significant play time (hopefully this week against San Diego) we can get some answers on how effective they are. Keep in mind it's preseason though, we're not showing all our cards right away.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I'm most concerned with our putrid effectiveness on converting 3rd downs. It was a big problem last year. It's not improved thus far. Lynch or no -- Seattle is going to find themselves in 3rd and medium/long positions. Right now we still stink at that. Lynch doesn't really factor into that.

Still seeing defenses cheat the middle of the field. It's becoming an alarming harbinger for our offense, that defenses can just clear out the short middle of the field and flood the seam/outside routes. It will bear watching when the games start for real. Hard to give an evaluation on the offense when so much is under wraps.

Of what we have witnessed, the biggest single offensive liability in my estimation remains unresolved. Probably will appear so for the remainder of the preseason.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Defensively we are going to be fine. The Offense well that passing game is just not there right now, I'm not sure it ever will be with Baldwin and Kearse as our starting duo . Yes I know we got to the Super Bowl with them but honestly GB outplayed the Seahawks for 3 quarters and it took a miracle come back to get us in and If it wasn't for Matthews in that Super Bowl it wouldn't have been close. Hopefully Graham solves some of these problems we'll see. I expect them to look a lot better this week on Offense with Lynch in the game.