TOP NFL Trios (and more): how did the Seahawks do?

byau

Reaction score
Wasn't sure if this is an NFL topic or Seahawks topic, decided to put it here because ultimately did this because I was curious how the Seahawks did

First heard Brock and Salk talk about it on the radio weeks ago, the top "trios" in the NFL. Discussion came up when they were debating if Lynch/Graham/Wilson were the best trio or not. The others they thought might be better were the Packers (Nelson/Lacy/Rodgers) or possibly Cowboys if they still had Murray. And the Steelers with Roth/Brown/Bell.

Using the NFL Network top 100 players to figure this out. While those rankings are debatable, at least it is data that is usable. Figured it'd be easy enough to just find the top 3 offense or defense by team and do an average to find the best.

(NFL Network top 100 talked about here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=111002 )

I been meaning to do this and finally did get to it for my own curiosity. Figured others might be curious too so attached are some files for your perusal (in the .zip file, there are a number of .txt files). Formatting probably not best for public consumption, then again it was original meant just for my own consumption. :)

If you want the quick answer of which team has the best trio, scroll to the bottom now!

A few gotchas in the data:
* oline and dline are included in the trio calcluations, not just positions like RB/WR/QB or CB/Safety/LB
* also, if someone is in there more as a punt return or kick return but also listed as a position player (CB or WR) they were counted on offense/defense
* interesting only one team in there has Defense + Offense < Total and that's because a kicker made it in the top 100 (legit special teamer)
* The nfl network top 100 was before some trades, e.g. Demarco Murray is a Cowboy while Suh is a Dolphin and Graham is a Seahawk

Here are the files and what they mean

1) top100-original.txt: Get the original top100 list from the above thread

2) top100-firstparse.txt: Sort by team and by offense or defense - my first set of raw data after parsing

3) top100-byteam-sorttotal.txt: Quick calcluation, which team had the most players in the top 100
* Seahawks: 8
* Ravens: 7
* Packers: 6

4) top100-byteam-sortoffense.txt: Quick calculation, which team had most offense players in top 100
* Cowboys: 5 (btw, Cowboys had 0 defense players)
* Steelers, Ravens, Packers: 4
* Seahawks, Patriots, Broncos: 3

5) top100-byteam-sortdefense.txt: Quick calcluation, which team had most defense players in top 100
* Seahawks: 5
* Bills: 4
* Ravens, Lions, Jets, Dolphins: 3

And finally ..the best trios. Here is the complete list of trios (not all teams had trios... and I'll just get it out there right now that yes, just ONE TEAM only had zero players in the top 100)

6) top100-topoffensetrio.txt: Which team has the best 3 offensive players (top 3, average score, lowest is best)
OFFENSE AVERAGE steelers: 16
OFFENSE AVERAGE cowboys: 17
OFFENSE AVERAGE seahawks: 20
OFFENSE AVERAGE packers: 26
OFFENSE AVERAGE patriots: 34
OFFENSE AVERAGE broncos: 40
OFFENSE AVERAGE ravens: 66

7) top100-topdefensetrio.txt: Which team has the best 3 defense players (top 3, average score, lowest is best)
DEFENSE AVERAGE seahawks: 24
DEFENSE AVERAGE dolphins: 33
DEFENSE AVERAGE jets: 48
DEFENSE AVERAGE bills: 52
DEFENSE AVERAGE ravens: 74
DEFENSE AVERAGE lions: 78

8 ) top100-toptrio.txt: Which team has the best 3 trio, offense or defense, i.e. combining 6) and 7) above
OFFENSE AVERAGE steelers: 16
OFFENSE AVERAGE cowboys: 17
OFFENSE AVERAGE seahawks: 20
DEFENSE AVERAGE seahawks: 24

OFFENSE AVERAGE packers: 26
DEFENSE AVERAGE dolphins: 33
OFFENSE AVERAGE patriots: 34
OFFENSE AVERAGE broncos: 40
DEFENSE AVERAGE jets: 48
DEFENSE AVERAGE bills: 52
OFFENSE AVERAGE ravens: 66
DEFENSE AVERAGE ravens: 74
DEFENSE AVERAGE lions: 78

Hope you enjoyed that :)

Attachments

• top100.zip
    7 KB · Views: 62

HuskerHawk

Reaction score
Hawk's certainly have the potential to be the best trio. Ben, Bell, and Brown are pretty darn good also.

OP
OP
byau

byau

Reaction score
jdemps":39g7idrm said:
Doesn't necessarily prove anything. Interesting none the less.

#dataisbeautiful
#hedidthemath
#hashtag

It proves at least something :) depends on how much integrity you give the data.

I know what you mean, when it comes to something this subjective, it's all going to be debatable. (And yes interesting none the less)

OP
OP
byau

byau

Reaction score
HuskerHawk":18fasuqo said:
Hawk's certainly have the potential to be the best trio. Ben, Bell, and Brown are pretty darn good also.

Graham had a down year, the year before he had a killer year.

And I am curious to see how Graham/Lynch/Wilson turn out whether they truly complement each other or not.

Potential definitely is there to be the best trio this year

sc85sis

Reaction score
Top trio in the NFL: Paul Allen, John Schneider and Pete Carroll.

Yeah it's not what they meant, but it's still true.

Rocket

Reaction score
I'd argue that the best trio is 25, 29 & 31.
Or... right now it's 25, 29 and 54.

Hell, we got the best FOUR... 25, 29, 31 and 54.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I'm sitting here watching this thing about wolves and humans and what not where they're talking about the sole source of dogs is traced back to the middle east.

Even here in the NW Natives used to breed Salish Wool Dogs before any contact with Europeans.

What somebody says on the internet or TV doesn't mean jack monkey squat even if academia accepts and perpetuates it.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Pitts has a good trio.. hate em but..

Ben
Bell
Brown...

and now

Bryant, which, how the hell do we PU Richardson in the 2nd and they take Bryant in the 4th? Guy is going to be very good.