PFF rates Russell Wilson ahead of Andrew Luck

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Russell Wilson, Seahawks (82.1)
Wilson wasn’t a particularly good passer in 2014, ranking just 19th in passing grade. He made up for that with the second-highest rushing grade among quarterbacks, but his place in the top 10 is more than anything based off of his tremendous 2013 season. That’s when he had the eighth-highest passing grade, and again the second-highest rushing grade, while leading the league with an accuracy percentage of 48.3 percent on passes travelling 20 yards or more downfield.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... op-10-qbs/

While Luck has shown himself to be capable of impressive late-game drives, he still has too many plays every season that simply leave you scratching your head – mistakes that put him in position to have to lead comeback attempts in the first place. He has improved on this with each season, but he still has room to grow to become the quarterback he is capable of being – and frankly, the quarterback he is already credited with being.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... s-for-now/

:stirthepot: :snack:

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
hawknation2015":swstnctn said:
Wilson wasn’t a particularly good passer in 2014, ranking just 19th in passing grade. He made up for that with the second-highest rushing grade among quarterbacks, but his place in the top 10 is more than anything based off of his tremendous 2013 season. That’s when he had the eighth-highest passing grade, and again the second-highest rushing grade, while leading the league with an accuracy percentage of 48.3 percent on passes travelling 20 yards or more downfield.

While Luck has shown himself to be capable of impressive late-game drives, he still has too many plays every season that simply leave you scratching your head – mistakes that put him in position to have to lead comeback attempts in the first place. He has improved on this with each season, but he still has room to grow to become the quarterback he is capable of being – and frankly, the quarterback he is already credited with being.

Oh noes! What will the Luck apologists/Niner fans in the NFL Forum say?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
This list is truly terrible.. but that's PFF for you.

Ryan Tannehill being above Andrew Luck is hysterical. Leaving Andrew Luck off the Top 10 is even more hilarious. Wilson at 9th isn't awful, but I sure wouldn't have him behind Matt Ryan.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Trenchbroom":q1xip548 said:
hawknation2015":q1xip548 said:

Oh noes! What will the Luck apologists/Niner fans in the NFL Forum say?
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=112408

RussB

Reaction score
Wilson is better than luck, hes more clutch and throws alot less picks and is more elusive. The hawks offense runs the ball about 60-70% of the time and he has about 2,000 yards yards less than luck in passing who passes probably 80% of the time. If seahawks offense relied more on passing wilson would have just as much yards if not more. Hes better

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Hawkpower":1vkygjgq said:
19th in Passing Grade?

Yikes.

A lot of that had to do with (1) being pressured more than any other QB, (2) losing Golden Tate and having Percy Harvin turn into a bust, (3) losing his safety valve Zach Miller to an injury, (4) Bevell abandoning the running game and passing consecutively on first and second downs, leading to more 3rd and longs, and (5) 19 drops by receivers not named Doug Baldwin.

The only area where they grade him negatively are his passes within 10 yards (even though his QB rating is very high with those passes, which indicates missed opportunities):
CjBpUwb

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
2Cool4School":3davo0vp said:
If seahawks offense relied more on passing wilson would have just as much yards if not more. Hes better

If Andrew Luck had Marshawn Lynch and not Trent Richardson, I'm willing to bet his turnovers would go down significantly.

It's amazing how much better a defense plays when a team is one-dimensional. It's also amazing what a strong threat in the running game will do for your passing game and turnovers.

Both quarterbacks are sensational, but only on Seahawks.net is Andrew Luck described like he's Jay Cutler :lol: :lol:

Overseasfan

Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of PFF. They use very selective numbers that create a twisted view. Do you think anyone in the league would want Matt Ryan over Wilson or Luck? How many would choose Rivers over Brady or Manning? Very few. That is because they are simply better and have a tendency of stepping up when their teams need them.

McGruff

Reaction score
2Cool4School":o500ifuv said:
Wilson is better than luck, hes more clutch and throws alot less picks and is more elusive. The hawks offense runs the ball about 60-70% of the time and he has about 2,000 yards yards less than luck in passing who passes probably 80% of the time. If seahawks offense relied more on passing wilson would have just as much yards if not more. Hes better

I don't know if you were intentionally exaggerating but Indy threw the ball less than 60% of the time and Seattle only ran the ball just over 51% of the time.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I can't wait for List Season to be over. It's mind numbingly stupid. I guess this must be similar to how people who can't stand the draft season feel come February through April.

captSE

Reaction score
Wilson's cognitive abilities can't be measured. Wilson's ability to make other's believe can't be measured. Moxy? Right, lots of it.

GO HAWKS!!

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Snake Plisskin":3lyloxsl said:
Romo, Ryan and Rivers above Wilson? Not buying that.

I think a strong case can be made for at least two of those guys above Russ.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Two different QBs. Two different systems. Both excel at what their teams want them to do.

To use a basketball analogy, Luck is the Carmelo Anthony of football. He's expected to take the majority of the shots in a game, even if that means taking low percentage shots. He'll put up 30 per game, but the offense is less involved and his other stats (assists, shooting %) take a dip because of it. Can he win games by himself? Yeah, but an off night almost guarantees a loss.

Russell (right now) is more the point guard of the offense, somewhere between Tony Parker and Stephen Curry. Capable of taking over games and making incredible plays, but is most effective spreading the ball around and waiting for his opportunities to score instead of forcing it. His stat line would benefit from more attempts, but overall does not fit into the role the coaches want from him.

Snake Plisskin

Reaction score
Hawkpower":15f5cjej said:
Snake Plisskin":15f5cjej said:

Maybe as a pure pocket passer, but as a winner, no. If there's 2 minutes left in the game and we need a TD, I'll take Wilson over those 3 any day.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Snake Plisskin":2mynzewd said:
Hawkpower":2mynzewd said:
Snake Plisskin":2mynzewd said:

Maybe as a pure pocket passer, but as a winner, no. If there's 2 minutes left in the game and we need a TD, I'll take Wilson over those 3 any day.

Love the avatar pic dude haha :th2thumbs:

Anthony!

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3aigzgms said:
2Cool4School":3aigzgms said:
If seahawks offense relied more on passing wilson would have just as much yards if not more. Hes better

If Andrew Luck had Marshawn Lynch and not Trent Richardson, I'm willing to bet his turnovers would go down significantly.

It's amazing how much better a defense plays when a team is one-dimensional. It's also amazing what a strong threat in the running game will do for your passing game and turnovers.

Both quarterbacks are sensational, but only on Seahawks.net is Andrew Luck described like he's Jay Cutler :lol: :lol:

And I am sure Wilson would do even batter if he had a top 5 pass blocking oline, top 5 WR corps, in a passing offense were he sees only 2-3 top 10 pass defenses a year. Lets stop acting like Luck does not have something going his way. He does and some people are starting to realize it.

Anthony!

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":2xzyrbjn said:
I'm still not sure how to feel about this, you guys. I'm going to wait for Anthony! to come in and provide some much-needed perspective.

Okay first lets set up certain facts

Wison has a better RB, and Defense
Luck has better WRs and Oline

Now with that said
Lets see how they compared the 1 year were Luck played the NFC west

Russell Wilson Versus common opponents.

Completions: 126
Attempts: 216
Yards: 1577.00
Completion Rate: 58.33%
TD: 13
INT:5
Passer Rating: 91.53

Andrew Luck versus common opponents.

Completions: 180
Attempts: 324
Yards: 2097.00
Completion Rate: 55.55%
TD: 10
INT: 7
Passer Rating: 79.2

There you have it.

Add another known fact Luck faces 2-3 top 10 defenses a year, Wilson faces 6+-8

That said they are both great QBs, right now I would take Wilson because he has done more(except for the quantity stats), against better opponents, and given we are talking QB and there for passing the main point he has done it with less talent around him(meaning oline and WR). Add to that he has been directly responsible for far less points given up, ie pick 6s etc. less TOs. much better playoff stats, and has the most 4th qtr/ot game winning drives over the last 3 years in the NFL and unlike Luck he has never been the direct reason the other team had the lead.

I Kind of equate QBs to tool levels. Like baseball. Your 5 tool QBs have; leadership/IQ, throw from pocket, throw on run/move, scramble, and run. Now that is not to say you cannot be a great QB and only have 4 tools, you can you just need more help ie a great oline. Example Manning he is a 4 tool QB at best he needs a good pass blocking oline to be great or great WRs, or a really great system.

There are really only 2 5 tool QBs-Wilson and Rodgers. What separates them form the others is how they scramble when they have to. They scramble looking to pass, most QBS do not. Even Luck as good as he is and he is does not really scramble a lot. Not to say on occasion he does not, but it is rare.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Snake Plisskin":3a33cgsi said:
Hawkpower":3a33cgsi said:
Snake Plisskin":3a33cgsi said:

Actually if you look at their pocket passing stats as percentages Wilson is better.