What Is It About The Chargers?

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
They seem to have our number. Is it the heat? I can't explain why our 1's look like crap against their 1's down there.

Are they that hungry for Seahawks blood? They play us like it's the freakin' Super Bowl and we don't come even close to matching their intensity. Why is that?

Again, is it the heat? Last year it was a recorded 120 degrees on the field and 107 in the stands. Trust me, I was there in the stands that game and it was horrific. I can't even imagine trying to play football with pads and helmets on. But let's be fair, the Chargers had to play in the same heat. Yet, I seem to recall the Chargers made sure their players were plenty hydrated where our players were anything but. Now that's on us. We should have been fully hydrated for that game but we were embarrassingly not.

But I digress.

Once again our 1's looked like crap against their 1's for the first quarter and a half. It wasn't until the mid second quarter when our D woke up.

Lockett? Wow. This kid is special and it's obvious.

Give him some lanes and he's gone. He has a beautiful cut back, stops on a dime, and his top speed is just silly, just two shades of unfair.

Russ? Hmm. We all wish he would have looked better than he did. How much of that is not game planning, how much of that is protections and how much of that is just on him for not being as sharp as he should have been? I'm going with the combo platter myself.

Defense sharpened up before the half. Not sure why it took them 12:10 minutes into the second quarter to start acting like the Seahawks Defense but better late than never.

Because I was at the game last year, feeling like I was going to die from heat stroke in what I honestly believe is one of the crappiest stadiums in the NFL, and because the Chargers seem to act like Super Bowl Champions and we are the Chargers in some crazy parallel universe...I just want to see that team go down!

Hauschka's 60 yard field goal to win the game made me jump up and scream like no man should ever have to for a preseason game.

The cat jumped off the couch, the wife looked at me like I was insane, my daughter cringed and my dog jumped out of fear.

Worth. It.

kf3339

Reaction score
A lot of it I think is the heat. Remember they practice in it, so this early in the preseason or even regular season I think they are more conditioned for the conditions. Some may also be because everyone treats our games as the Super Bowl, so I guess there is that as well. But living in Southern California right now it is damn hot.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
It's not uncommon for Russ to start the year in a sporadic fashion. He needs to "find his groove" before the GB game.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Aros":21ccflo1 said:
They seem to have our number. Is it the heat? I can't explain why our 1's look like crap against their 1's down there.

Are they that hungry for Seahawks blood? They play us like it's the freakin' Super Bowl and we don't come even close to matching their intensity. Why is that?

Again, is it the heat? Last year it was a recorded 120 degrees on the field and 107 in the stands. Trust me, I was there in the stands that game and it was horrific. I can't even imagine trying to play football with pads and helmets on. But let's be fair, the Chargers had to play in the same heat. Yet, I seem to recall the Chargers made sure their players were plenty hydrated where our players were anything but. Now that's on us. We should have been fully hydrated for that game but we were embarrassingly not.

But I digress.

Once again our 1's looked like crap against their 1's for the first quarter and a half. It wasn't until the mid second quarter when our D woke up.

Give him some lanes and he's gone. He has a beautiful cut back, stops on a dime, and his top speed is just silly, just two shades of unfair.

Russ? Hmm. We all wish he would have looked better than he did. How much of that is not game planning, how much of that is protections and how much of that is just on him for not being as sharp as he should have been? I'm going with the combo platter myself.

Defense sharpened up before the half. Not sure why it took them 12:10 minutes into the second quarter to start acting like the Seahawks Defense but better late than never.

Because I was at the game last year, feeling like I was going to die from heat stroke in what I honestly believe is one of the crappiest stadiums in the NFL, and because the Chargers seem to act like Super Bowl Champions and we are the Chargers in some crazy parallel universe...I just want to see that team go down!

Hauschka's 60 yard field goal to win the game made me jump up and scream like no man should ever have to for a preseason game.

The cat jumped off the couch, the wife looked at me like I was insane, my daughter cringed and my dog jumped out of fear.

Worth. It.

Phillip Rivers is also quite good.....and they seemed to have found areas to exploit at times across the middle, especially so with our safeties missing.

RussB

Reaction score
Yea could be the heat .and also the short pass scheme they seem to do against the seahawks. They just dink and dun tiring out the defense kind of like the patriots did.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":1el613ei said:
It's not uncommon for Russ to start the year in a sporadic fashion. He needs to "find his groove" before the GB game.

Apparently its not uncommon for him to end the seasons that way too:

Link to NFCCG and SuperBowl footage here inserted here......

:D

Bobblehead

Reaction score
They are fast,
Rivers has ice veins
They have dink and dunk type players
Rivers is an experts at dinking and dunking and doesn't mind it.

HuskerHawk

Reaction score
I'm just gonna reiterate what others have said, but Rivers is good and that offense is our D's bane. Stay on schedule, get in manageable down and distances, and convert on those 3rd and doables. Still need the Joe's to make it work. Don't underestimate Danny Woodhead. Killed us last year on swing passes and tonight when he was in. Monster 3rd down back. Shane Vereen is in a similar mode, and he too just broke our back in the SB.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I saw someone make a comment about short passes questioning whether or not that really is our weakness.

The answer is yes and no.

The cover 3 defense has more emphasis on deep coverage. That and we didn't have a healthy Kam.

Cover 3 covers the flats with 2 players, but it also only has 2 players in mid zones. The other 3 play deep. Granted, it's not really like Madden or lower level football where players just go to their designated areas and camp out. It is a little more loose where players have more wiggle in what they see, but there's no question that spacing is more vast up front in a cover 3 than say....a cover 2 that only has 2 players deep in its zones and covers a lot of the short game more tightly.

If you listen to TV nutjobs and just general people on the internet you'll come to believe that football is all about gods and men. It's all personnel, but that's not the truth. There is a good degree of a chess aspect involved. We use a base defense that has more emphasis on not giving up the big play and look for really unique players to mitigate the inherent weakness of the coverage. It's the same with any defense in that regard. It's about emphasis in regards to your base D. Fit, if you will.

In the really real world, there is no such thing as a defense without weakness.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Phillips River's first year doing the short yard, quick passing is what is making him looked deadly, last year was his first year utilizing it with a new offensive coordinator.

Is it a wonder when Wilson is in the 2 minute huddle and we know he is going to march down that field and make a TD, I saw what the offense could look like in the KC game when we get the ball out quick. I'm surprised we couldn't do it this game, looks like we went back into looking for the explosive plays again, and of course the bad day that Wilson had throwing the ball.

kearly

Reaction score
Their passing game is a lot like the Patriots in the way that it can exploit our zone coverages. Their running game features a shifty back (Woodhead) that can have a degree of effectiveness against our run D. Their defense is well coached and attacked Russell's weaknesses very well. Their head coach prepares his team well for these games.

nanomoz

Reaction score
kearly":g3klnyrj said:
Their passing game is a lot like the Patriots in the way that it can exploit our zone coverages. Their running game features a shifty back (Woodhead) that can have a degree of effectiveness against our run D. Their defense is well coached and attacked Russell's weaknesses very well. Their head coach prepares his team well for these games.

Great answer. Philip Rivers is the anti-Colin Kaepernick. He's quick to decide when an option isn't good and move on.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Rivers is a dink and dunker which is good against any D. Can really tire a D, but let's not go too crazy over the 6 big points he put up

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Dinking and dunking, if a team is good at it, is a very effective way to move the ball between the 20's against our D. Still very hard to score against us in the RZ. SD got their only TD on the catch and run from the flats against the backups, so I'd say the dinky dunky stuff wasn't all that successful from a bottom line perspective. Over the course of an entire game it has potential to wear us down, but that's also a tall order with the rotation we appear to have this season.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Aros":12wli5xm said:

But I digress.

Worth. It.
Dink and Dunk and bad tackling. I seriously hope Pete is pissed because St. Louis won't play.

Thank God Clark and Lockett are the real deal. Don't blame your cat or dog for being intelligent.

McG

Reaction score
I think RW's issues in this game come down to a few simple facts. The OL as of right now, couldn't make 20 bucks feel safe even if it was locked up in Fort Knox. What I am saying is, he is paranoid. We all know what a paranoid QB looks like (think Hass after Big Walt retried). What it ultimately equates to is no rhythm in his drop backs. This isn't allowing him to feel comfortable in the pocket. Instead of just being able to snap the ball, drop back then set his feet, and then go through his progressions. He is dropping back and more than likely thinking, I have to get the ball out now or I better just run. That will make any QB look like complete garbage. Also, you have to imagine that he has added pressure in the pre-season to stay healthy, due to the new contract. Overall, he just looks out of wack but I don't think it's something that will show up during the regular season. Personally, I just hope the OL can get their collective shit together, sooner rather than later.

Largent80

Reaction score
It's not just the Chargers. Everyone we have played so far is blowing by our o-linemen like they aren't even there.

They are running out of time to "gel". That Ram defensive line is going to demolish this group of sad sacks.

Steve2222

Reaction score
Our #1s allowed 6 points against their #1s. I thought our starting D looked as good as ever, missing both our starting safeties. Wilson looked sporadic must of the game. But as we saw time and time again, Wilson steps up when the team needs him to (end of the first half to get the FG).

Luckily we have a tuner game week 1 against the Rams. Yes the Rams are a tuner game. We play smart on special teams and avoid the trickery, the Rams don't frighten me. Sure it will be a low scoring game, but the Lambs offense is so terrible.

Largent80

Reaction score
Donald is going to have a field day vs. this o-line. He is a beast and we have nobody in that group that matches up with any of their D-line.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Food for thought, that greatest ever offense that Denver had in the super bowl was a dink and dunk offense as well. Manning isn't a QB who throws deep a lot. He doesn't even have that strong of an arm.