Should Tyler Lockett start at Wide Receiver

RW92

Reaction score
I know that I'm new here, but should Tyler Lockett be given a chance to start? How can we just save this talent for kick off and punt returns? I know that they have plans to use him as a third wide out depending on down and distance, but this kid has too much of an upside and game changing ability.

I don't know at this time who would sit, but I just have to get Tyler in the game; period.

I hope I'm not over reacting, but love to hear your thoughts.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Being a 'starter' doesn't mean that much at the wr position. They are going to be swapping players all over the place. It's not like other receivers only get a chance when the starters need a break like a point guard in basketball. Since Lockett will be active on game day for KR/PR, he'll get plenty of chances to get on the field as a receiver.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
T-Lock should start at flanker or in the slot in the three WR sets. In three months, I think he has a chance to be the most talented WR on the roster.

Anthony!

Reaction score
My only concern would be having our 2 starting WRs DB and TL both 6 foot or smaller.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
So far, and it's just the beginning............""Through three preseason games, Lockett has amassed 262 yards on seven kickoff returns (37.4-yard average) and 105 yards on four punt returns (26.3-yard average). Add those up and you get 367 return yards, plus the two touchdowns, which is exactly the type of production the Seahawks hoped to get out of Lockett after trading up to select him in the third round (No. 69 overall) of the 2015 NFL Draft.""
http://www.seahawks.com/news/2015/08/30 ... o-chargers

If he can get as many receiving targets as he gets return opportunities, he'll be OROTY with these kind of #'s.

Chawker

Reaction score
I think that he will be a wonderful addition to our receiving core, with Graham playing TE we'll be able to rotate wrs without a drop in production. Or removing Graham and going to a three wide set, or a four wide set.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Just watching a few of his routes and his maturity. his quickness, he's the best wr we have now. I'd start him and I'd start Mathews. Put Mathews and Jimmy on the same side and see if the D can find someone tall enough for both.

Let Lockett stretch the field.

London12

Reaction score
He always seems to make the play when he's targeted. I say yes.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
I'd say he'll probably be a 'starter' in 3 WR sets. It's too soon for him to start alongside Baldwin as the secondary receiver though. Maybe next year or even in the course of this year.

Smellyman

Reaction score
RW92":1pose1ch said:
I know that I'm new here, but should Tyler Lockett be given a chance to start? How can we just save this talent for kick off and punt returns? I know that they have plans to use him as a third wide out depending on down and distance, but this kid has too much of an upside and game changing ability.

I don't know at this time who would sit, but I just have to get Tyler in the game; period.

I hope I'm not over reacting, but love to hear your thoughts.

Why wouldn't he be given a chance to start? Everybody can if they outplay those ahead of them.

sutz

Reaction score
Sure, but IMHO there is no hurry. He'll get some snaps and throws, I think. But our front line guys are not really slouches that can be replaced this easy with a rookie.

So, sure, get him playing time, but "starter"? Doubtful. I guess he could do it, but he's still getting his timing down, as is everybody. We have vets and young guys ahead of him and comin off injury that I would probably leave in front of him for now.

As of now, he's guaranteed a spot on the 53. That's enough for me. Let him work it out. He'll get there.

Keep in mind that if he gets his clock cleaned on a pass play, or run blocking for that matter, our return game returns to 2014 form.

:pukeface:

Hawks46

Reaction score
For his physical talent and his polish in running routes, yes I'd start him in 3 WR sets at least. Who's spot does he take ? He doesn't replicate the size and physicality of Matthews or Kearse. He's close to what Doug Baldwin is, but faster. In a couple of years, he makes Baldwin expendable, maybe next year if we need the cap space.

The one thing I'm not sure about with Lockett is his blocking ability. We're a run first team, and our starting WRs have to be able to block, and block well. How does Lockett stack up to that ? Once that question is answered, I'm thinking we see him a lot more.

Seafan

Reaction score
He is exactly what the team hoped for with Harvin. He'll be 10 times the WR that Harvin is. Lockett gets separation and runs precise routes and that is exactly what WRs need who play with RW at QB. Height isn't as important because RW overthrows even the tallest of TEs. When PRich gets back the team will have one of the best receiver groups in the league.

nanomoz

Reaction score
He's got to run block to get regular chances. I'm not saying he can't, I'm just saying it's something to be aware of. One of the reasons Kearse has a job is his blocking. It really matters to the coaches and the scheme.

JKent82

Reaction score
Not right now. Eventually though I hope so. Let the dude develop a bit, he'll still get plenty of snaps I'm sure.

Secretly hoping for Lockett in the slot, Paul Richardson at the z, and Chris Matthews at the X next year. Cheap, explosive, and just seems like a fun group. Obviously Kearse and Baldwin are probably here to stay but who knows.