OL projects

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I believe that this OL project strategy that the Seahawks use is not very effective or smart. They've hit on Sweezy but I think that having success there has led to thinking that is detrimental. Now they think they can draft any defensive lineman and convert them into OL projects. While that may work some of the time, most of the time it fails. I think they tried that with Justin Smith last year or 2 years ago and it didn't work. So far that strategy with Kristjan Sokoli doesn't seem panning out and Kona Schwenke didn't work either. I think strategy would be better used if the Seahawks had a solid group of lineman. They don't thus projects like this most often fail. If the Seahawks had the 2005 OL, then yeah take a chance on developing projects. They don't. They don't even have a group that's as good as the 2013 OL at this point.

Vaclav44

Reaction score
I have to wonder how many OL they are going to pick up from other teams' castoffs once cut downs start. I put the over/under at 3, one of whom will end up starting. O

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
yeah, if they did it here and there, but they're doing it all the time. I know they're looking for certain physical characteristics and then figuring they can coach the rest, but there is a reason guys make it on the oline and others make it somewhere else and just because once in a while you can get someone to switch doesn't mean it's actually a good idea for a strategy.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
They look for athletic, quick d-line guys who can play the ZBS. Sweezy was a 7th-rounder--that is such a spectacular success of course they're going to keep doing it. I completely disagree with the OP, I think this trategy rocks.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
It's not like they only draft DL to play OL. This year they drafted three offensive linemen. Only one wasn't an offensive linemen in college. That is Sokoli of course and while he doesn't seem to be starting material right now he does show potential at both G and C. If they can keep him as a back up or practice squad member it wouldn't surprise me one bit to see him be a phenomenal starter in a year or two. Don't forget there is a reason they call it an OL project.

OP
OP
hawkfan68

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Overseasfan":1vv3mtwn said:
It's not like they only draft DL to play OL. This year they drafted three offensive linemen. Only one wasn't an offensive linemen in college. That is Sokoli of course and while he doesn't seem to be starting material right now he does show potential at both G and C. If they can keep him as a back up or practice squad member it wouldn't surprise me one bit to see him be a phenomenal starter in a year or two. Don't forget there is a reason they call it an OL project.

Being OL projects is precisely my point. Right now, it doesn't make sense to have OL projects when the current OL situation is in flux. I can understand having these "projects" if they had a solid consistent line. Adding long term solutions to fix immediate short term needs is not a good strategy. IMO, ideally these OL project types should be guys that start out on PS, however in the Seahawks case these guys will be on the 53 man roster because the lack of solid players there. For example, Eric Pinkins and Doug McNeil are projects for LB and DB. They will mostly certainly be PS players (as they should be while learning their new positions). Just my 2 cents.

RockinHawks

Reaction score
I project Satele signs as soon as next week. Or whenever the non-guarantee things goes into effect.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Just because Sokoli isn't ready right now does not mean he wasn't a successful project. Give him a year or two.

Sweezy's play was not pretty when he first started, but I think the experience around him softened the impact of his whiffs somewhat. Hard to see that happening with this OL group.

I realized as I read this post that it basically means they could use a couple more experienced true OLinemen, right now at least.

netskier

Reaction score
I agree, and wonder why we didn't pick up Mathis on a one year deal, like Denver did, plug him in at left guard, leave Britt at RT, and run both left and right.

Let's see who they pick up next.

joeshaney

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2z1y43p7 said:
Overseasfan":2z1y43p7 said:

Being OL projects is precisely my point. Right now, it doesn't make sense to have OL projects when the current OL situation is in flux. I can understand having these "projects" if they had a solid consistent line. Adding long term solutions to fix immediate short term needs is not a good strategy. IMO, ideally these OL project types should be guys that start out on PS, however in the Seahawks case these guys will be on the 53 man roster because the lack of solid players there. For example, Eric Pinkins and Doug McNeil are projects for LB and DB. They will mostly certainly be PS players (as they should be while learning their new positions). Just my 2 cents.

I have to agree with the OP. Why use a 6th round pick on an OLine project when they could have drafted Steve Hutchinson 2.0 with that pick.

gabel

Reaction score
Strongly disagree with your assessment of Kristjan Sokoli , I think he looks remarkable good considered his experience. The way he pulls is truly remarkable. Certainly he already looks better than Terry Poole and Jesse Davis who both had the benefit of 4 years at the position.

Seafan

Reaction score
Sokoli is interesting. Nowak looks like he'll be a success. Sweezy was a success. Seems to me this has been a good investment by the Hawks. Just like draft picks you hit on some and you miss some. The team doesn't have a bunch of 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks every year to invest in all the spots on the roster and it has limited cap space to try to fill spots with free agents. Seems this is a reasonable way to build one part of the roster. I also like what they are attempting to do with the WR to CB conversion system. Seems like a smart way to go. I love that the team is thinking outside the box.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Love the 'Hawks strategy and think it's all-around smart and awesome.
PC/JS have decided to economize in the OL area and to a certain extent, the WR area.

Pete & his coaches positively excel at teaching. To me, the position changes represent Pete's bet on his abilities as a coach. As with everything, you win some, you lose some. However, when they win, the win is huge, and gives the team a salary cap edge.

Speaking of position changes, recall they have also turned Bruce Irvin into a real Linebacker over the last couple years.

peppersjap

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3tyxeigc said:
I believe that this OL project strategy that the Seahawks use is not very effective or smart. They've hit on Sweezy but I think that having success there has led to thinking that is detrimental. Now they think they can draft any defensive lineman and convert them into OL projects. While that may work some of the time, most of the time it fails. I think they tried that with Justin Smith last year or 2 years ago and it didn't work. So far that strategy with Kristjan Sokoli doesn't seem panning out and Kona Schwenke didn't work either. I think strategy would be better used if the Seahawks had a solid group of lineman. They don't thus projects like this most often fail. If the Seahawks had the 2005 OL, then yeah take a chance on developing projects. They don't. They don't even have a group that's as good as the 2013 OL at this point.
If it is not effective or smart why have we been to the last 2 Super Bowls and seconds away from the NFC championship the year before? We have some very good offensive pieces now but the bottom line is that this team has won with Defense and somehow we have been able to sign all of our core Defensive players which is almost unheard of in the salary cap era. They could have gone OL with our 1st 2 picks this year but does anyone think we would have gotten better talent than Frank Clark or Tyler Lockett with those picks? Those 2 draft picks have me more excited than any draft pick since Earl Thomas and Okung.

I'm not sure if it is Cable, Pete or Schneider who has the strategy but not sure how anyone could question whether it is working or not? That 2005 OL was great and was our strength at the time, it is now Defense. The Defense on the 2005 team could not even be compared in any phase to our current Defense.

There is a reason we have a QB like Wilson. If we had Peyton Manning I'm pretty sure they wouldn't use the same strategy. We have been to 3 of the last 10 Super Bowls, I find it hard to do anything but smile right now.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
The strategy has allowed us to devote resources elsewhere -- salary cap and draft picks. It has also gotten us to two consecutive Super Bowls and made us one of the favorites this year as well.

I'm excited about Britt at guard, which I have always considered his ideal position. I'm excited about the power and explosiveness that Nowak brings to the center position. And I'm beginning to get more excited about SPARQ-y Garry Gilliam at RT. The development under Tom Cable of these undrafted converts, former DT and TE, into potentially good linemen has been impressive. Patience is a virtue.

peppersjap

Reaction score
netskier":13yb5nel said:
I agree, and wonder why we didn't pick up Mathis on a one year deal, like Denver did, plug him in at left guard, leave Britt at RT, and run both left and right.

I wonder why you are not the GM and John Schneider is? You did watch the last 2 Super Bowls didn't you? That was the Seahawks winning one and coming within 20 seconds of going back to back. Do you remember the Jim Mora era which was not very long ago? I still went to every game during that time but it could be painful at times. I had no issue with people questioning a 4 win team but not sure how anyone can question what they are doing now. We have still only seen Lynch carry the ball twice this year.

peppersjap

Reaction score
olyfan63":1334483h said:
Love the 'Hawks strategy and think it's all-around smart and awesome.
PC/JS have decided to economize in the OL area and to a certain extent, the WR area.

Pete & his coaches positively excel at teaching. To me, the position changes represent Pete's bet on his abilities as a coach. As with everything, you win some, you lose some. However, when they win, the win is huge, and gives the team a salary cap edge.

Speaking of position changes, recall they have also turned Bruce Irvin into a real Linebacker over the last couple years.
Sure glad they decided to switch Sherman from WR to CB. That project seems to have worked very well!

hawknation2015

Reaction score
peppersjap":10t3hvwq said:
netskier":10t3hvwq said:

I wonder why you are not the GM and John Schneider is? You did watch the last 2 Super Bowls didn't you? That was the Seahawks winning one and coming within 20 seconds of going back to back. Do you remember the Jim Mora era which was not very long ago? I still went to every game during that time but it could be painful at times. I had no issue with people questioning a 4 win team but not sure how anyone can question what they are doing now. We have still only seen Lynch carry the ball twice this year.

I don't like this argument, as no one is infallible and part of the value of this board is the ability to weigh the merit of individual decisions made by the team.

Certainly, the Percy Harvin trade -- a First Rounder and $15 million flushed down the toilet -- was a terrible decision, at least in hindsight. Though the writing was on the wall regarding Harvin's dubious route running, long injury history, and tumultuous relationship with former teammates and coaches in Minnesota (and former Vikings OC Darrell Bevell had a firsthand account).

As far as letting players like Giacomini and Carpenter leave in free agency, and trading Unger as part of the Graham acquisition, I agree with all of those decisions. I think Britt's ceiling at guard is almost unlimited. Glowinski has really impressed me this preseason, so the future appears to be bright after Sweezy's likely departure in free agency. Most importantly, Cable's toughness has helped offset the finesse and delusion that are the marks of Bevell's play calling.

OP
OP
hawkfan68

hawkfan68

Reaction score
As for the OL goes, this isn't the 2013 OL (that line had seasoned vets in Okung and Unger to some extent McQuistan and Giacomini; Sweezy was the only newcomer), it's not even last season's OL (Which had Unger, Okung, and Sweezy as vets). The OL instead of improving has regressed each year. Yeah, the other areas of the team have been able to overcome that deficiency but a turd surrounded by diamonds is still a turd. I believe that Wilson and Lynch are the key components of making the OL look better than they are. Heck more so Lynch than anyone else. When Lynch is in there, this offense is much different. It's not even close. He masks a lot of the OL deficiencies by being the best yards after contact back in the NFL. That fact remains whether it's regular season or preseason. They have not ran the ball well this preseason. In regular season games when Lynch hasn't been in there, the offense stalled. Plenty of games over the past few years have shown that.

To my point for this thread...Sweezy for as good as he his, still makes a lot mistakes that maybe a seasoned vet wouldn't. A less seasoned project guy playing for the first year will have a lot of growing pains. Now you have guys switching positions. Can this team afford a mistake that will hurt Wilson or Lynch? What happens to the offense then? Will you guys stand by your comments it's taken them to the Superbowl past 2 years then? Just a thought.