Special Teams back to being special

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
After last year's lackluster performance returning kicks, I am super excited to see the special teams back to playing with confidence in all areas of the game. Unlike last year where ST lost us a game or two, I think we'll see special teams WIN us a game or two.

And it all starts with Tyler Lockett.

You could tell last year that a lot of players were frustrated on KO and PR. The entire team seemed to have lost the will to take on 250 pound players to set up key blocks because what was the point? Whoever was returning kicks last season was both too slow to hit the hole and unable to make anyone miss. It kills motivation when that's the case.

Now, I see a want-to from our guys to block on returns. That's because of Lockett and his ability to take it the distance every time he touches the ball. Nothing was more evident than seeing veteran Doug Baldwin blocking his guy for a good 5 second to clear a hole on Lock's TD return (and amazing effort from everyone else).

[tweet]https://twitter.com/nflnetwork/status/637792805763420160[/tweet]
https://twitter.com/nflnetwork/status/6 ... 5763420160

On the other side of the ball, I see a lot of passion and effort from our guys trying to make a tackle on KR/PR. As if there's a competition in the ST's room to make the first hit and if you don't make at least one tackle a game you aren't doing your job.

We still have to wait and see how the team handles fakes and trick plays (Week 1 vs Rams will be a good test), but if the preseason so far is an indicator of the season it will be a year full of holding our breath with excitement and not concern like it was last year.

Jville

Reaction score
Special game by Special Teams! :th2thumbs:

Unusual to see them carry the team to the degree they did verses the Chargers.

They have the makings of having an epic year.

Standouts are securing their spots on the 53 roster.

Polk738

Reaction score
they played a great game and I loved Haus's 60 yd FG, especially after he missed at 58, I didn't think he could get it.

OP
OP
Recon_Hawk

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Polk738":3aev1ef3 said:
they played a great game and I loved Haus's 60 yd FG, especially after he missed at 58, I didn't think he could get it.

That makes two of us ;)

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
He was Kansas State's entire offense last year. Everyone in the universe knew it was going to him and he still couldn't be stopped even with the worst quarterback play imaginable.

I got to see him every week and yeah he's special K.

horns_n_hawks

Reaction score
I LOVE the addition of Lockett, even with all that we gave up to get him. Guy has had an affect on our offense (yes, offense, add 10 yards to every possession) that almost no one could have at that point in the draft.

My only question is, how often do we really expect punters to kick to him? I know it's preseason and they want to get work for their coverage teams, but why wouldn't you just punt everything out of bounds during the season? I think he's going to have a lot fewer opportunities to return punts when the games really matter. Conversely, doesn't that still improve our average field position?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Lockett is the real deal, but it'll be interesting to see how effective he is once the regular season starts and teams gameplan for him.

I expect many directional punts out of bounds and corner K/O's...........but not complaining as that can also lead to good field position.

I'm just thanking baby Jesus that I don't have to watch the slowest honky on two feet fair catch and return punts for negative two yards anymore.