Dissertation on disconcerting, and some speculation

Hawks46

Reaction score
First off, to explain a bit, I'm a realist. Yes, I know it's preseason, but I'm not the kind of guy that hands out cookies and hugs because "gee, we have 2 or 3 guys we haven't seen yet that are going to play and change EVERYTHING". That said, Thomas and Chancellor make a HUGE difference. I just hope they're in game shape come the season.

So when I make comments, good or bad, it's about what I can see on the field. I think it's hilarious to reread some comments and people are like "don't be up in arms" "back off the cliff" etc. I think those comments are pretty dramatic in themselves so I reread my post. Was I critical ? Yup. Was it unwarranted in THIS game ? No. I honestly don't think so. So quit creating drama about me being dramatic ! :thirishdrinkers:

No, I'm not offended, I don't want apologies, etc. I just felt I needed to clarify things. And yes, the "daddy" comment about the Chargers might've been a bit glib, but doesn't it honestly seem they out play us every time we're down there, preseason or no ? Realizing that people don't know me, or my habits and quirks just means I need to communicate more specifically, it's nothing to get upset about. I was taught in communication that if someone misunderstands you, the causation is generally starting with you.

I do try to balance out the good and the bad, but I can't and won't include speculation in a post about what I watched on the field.

So, in the spirit of speculation:

I'm not worried about Britt. This is a position he hasn't played in a good long while, and like he said "things happen more quickly inside". He'll get used to it. I AM worried about him matching up with Aaron Donald in week 1.

Thomas will definitely upgrade our defense and mask deficiencies, but Williams getting beat like a drum, on inside slants just won't stop because we have an elite FS over the top. I'm hoping Thomas will clean up the intermediate stuff over the middle. SD didn't try to beat us too much over the top.

The OL looked decent with Lynch in there. Like many, I'm worried about what happens when Lynch hangs em up or gets hurt. I'd like to see Smith get some more reps; I don't think Rawls looks as good to be honest. Smith looks raw, but athletic.

Not too worried about Wilson. He's looked off a bit in the preseason before, and I don't see his personality changing because he got paid. He'll see what he needs to work on, and attack it.

Same with Graham. He's not great at blocking, but he hasn't really done it much. With the new CBA, they don't get a lot of "live fire" in TC and practices, so I think we'll see improvement on it in regular season practices and games. If not, our defense will let him know about it and pride will take over.

Still not happy about the tackling, and you guys aren't going to change my mind on that one !

Overseasfan

Reaction score
It's important to retain a realistic view at all times. Don't get too negative and don't get too positive.

Getting too positive: We're currently ranked first in nearly every power ranking and if we're not we're second or third at worst. Combine that with us going to the SB for 2 years in a row and the addition of All-Pro TE Jimmy Graham. We can get overconfident at times, which we of course shouldn't. We are one of the favorites but we shouldn't take the SB or even a play-off spot for granted.

Getting too negative: Always expecting the worst isn't doing wonders on morale either. Calling for help after each small let down isn't going to help one bit. Not everything is an unfixable problem that will cost us the season. Williams is an average corner but that doesn't mean that he'll get beat every time they throw to him. Kam isn't there but even without him our D should be #1 in the league. Our Oline isn't doing all that well but in the Wilson era it never really performed well. Graham can't block, no, but he's still the best pass catching TE in the league.

Don't worry about giving your opinions on certain things but just remember there are always two sides to something, both positive and negative. Don't get too caught up in only one of the two.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Good post.

Don't worry about your own communication skills. It's normalcy around here when someone does any critical analysis that has negative components in it that certain elements around here will jump down their throats and get really defensive or angry at the "negativity". It took years for people to stop arguing with everyone who pointed out that the oline was a revolving door. At the same time, it's pretty understandable WHY certain people get like that. It's a normal reaction to all the people around here who over react about everything. Anything goes wrong and there are people proclaiming the end of the world. Someone comes on here with a good analysis of the situation faces being lumped in with those who over react about everything.

You get used to it.

You're dead on about Williams. The original thinking was that he'd thrive here in Seattle because he had help over the top. The reality we're seeing is that he gets beat over the middle too. It's early and he has a lot to learn, so we'll see. My impression is he lacks closing speed and can't keep up with receivers. I don't think he'll be our starter unless no one else steps up. Lane's injury hurts us.

But we give up those inside routes with the expectation that Kam (or the next man up) makes them pay for it with a withering hit. We literally route the WR into the meatgrinder. So if Williams can learn his role and learn how to route the WR into the meatgrinder, then he'll be okay, closing speed or not.

Graham made a comment in an interview that his missed time from injury had arisen from blocking and that they'd asked him not to block in NO due to his injuries. From what I gather, the guy isn't going to be a blocker for us. We need a blocker at TE. We don't have one. So we need a blocker at RB.

We just brought in Fred Jackson. He can block on passing downs. He is considered one of the best pass blocking RB's in the NFL. I think that says it all about the Seahawks plans to use Graham as a blocker.

As for the tackling. I think it won't be an issue when the season begins. If it is, I'll worry about it then. But this is a Pete Carroll defense. They learn to tackle. What I think we're seeing is a defense that's learned it's a long, painful season when you go to the Super Bowl every year and it's a good idea to lay off a bit in the preseason and save those hits for when they count.