Kevin Norwood released (UPDATED: Traded to Panthers)

mikeak

Reaction score
I never really saw him in games so can't say I am surprised based on that. Very dissapointed though

Basis4day

Reaction score
I'm not surprised he got released, only that it happened in this stage of cut-downs.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I'm bummed that he didn't improve. He had great hands and he seemed ready to become a valuable depth receiver at times last year. I am somewhat surprised he didn't make it to final cuts.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
I actually am a little surprised about this. I guess he just didn't keep up with his competitors.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
Not surprised by definitely disappointed. I really thought he would take a big step forward this year.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
HawkFan72":20ytl5wf said:
I'm bummed that he didn't improve. He had great hands and he seemed ready to become a valuable depth receiver at times last year. I am somewhat surprised he didn't make it to final cuts.

Well if you think about it, Chris Matthews didn't emerge until the final game of year.. that paired with Lockett and suddenly you have Norwood fighting it out with the UDFA's for a spot.

Kevin Smith and Kasen Williams just flat outplayed him all preseason.. and apparently both guys had better camps too.

Norwood will probably be a Falcon or Jaguar soon.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
To me, he looked perfectly alright in very limited opportunities last year. There was really nothing to judge him by this year as he was mostly playing with Archer, and I'm not sure that dude completed a pass beyond 10 yards. Norwood had some injury issues and never really caught on with special teams; that's probably why they let him go so early. As a receiver, he made a few nice plays last year in a small sample size and didn't get much of a chance this preseason. I think his limited ST contribution probably sealed his fate more than anything else.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
MysterMatt":10bb87nf said:
I actually am a little surprised about this. I guess he just didn't keep up with his competitors.

Not really when you look at our WR depth now, any player on the bubble like Norwood is going to have a hard time making the team if he doesn't play special teams.

Wonder if this means BJ Daniels is going to sneak onto the roster in that last WR slot. He didn't exactly help his cause Saturday in the PR game, but he's still valuable as a WR/PR/emergency QB.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Daniels has a shot but will need to show more than he did against SD to make the 53.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
He might catch on somewhere else, but this team doesn't really go for possession receivers that aren't vets. Had less "pop" as a prospect than P-Rich, and P-Rich didn't have all that much.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Another useless WR draft pick to add to the pile for this regime. Won't be surprised to see PRich added to the pile at some point this year or next offseason. This team's inability to evaluate WR talent is fairly astounding.

horns_n_hawks

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":1d7bsc4o said:
Another useless WR draft pick to add to the pile for this regime. Won't be surprised to see PRich added to the pile at some point this year or next offseason. This team's inability to evaluate WR talent is fairly astounding.

I'm disappointed in Norwood, although it makes sense based on what we've seen of him in preseason, but what does that have to do with PRich? That makes no sense. He had 6.3 Yards per target, and 9.3 yards per catch, as a rookie! We'll see what he does when he gets back, but he didn't start fast and fade away, he came on and then got injured.

I thought Norwood was going to be a great possession receiver for us, I'm disappointed he never really showed anything.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Not that it's uncommon, most 4th rounders probably don't pan out, but there is one 4th that doesn't stick about every year: Norwood, Harper, Howard, Durham, E.J. Wilson--am I missing any?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":3hwxypj6 said:

Well Lockett is certainly helping switch that bell curve........and I do think P-Rich will also be a very good WR if he can get back and stay healthy.

I'm not as down as most on our WR drafts, a very hard position to draft...........and we have the same batting average of WR busts as most teams in the league.

I'm much more mad about wasting money on Harvin, which forced us to get rid of Tate. That has been FAR more detrimental to our WR group than any bad draft class.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":2hy0gp74 said:
You're a bit harsher than I would've been, but you also aren't wrong.

Norwood's body language made this move a foregone conclusion to my eyes.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":1vhn2pnf said:

I actually like what they've found in Baldwin, Kearse, Lockett, Tate, and Richardson.

Seems like the 4th round has been a tough spot for them WR wise though.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":11alvil4 said:
Wonder if this means BJ Daniels is going to sneak onto the roster in that last WR slot. He didn't exactly help his cause Saturday in the PR game, but he's still valuable as a WR/PR/emergency QB.

Daniels has 1 year of PS eligibility left. That's probably where they will try to stash him.

Would say Kevin Smith is probably the clubhouse favorite to make the team as the 6th WR. Kasen Williams and BJ Daniels to the PS.